Fearful of 'scam' recommendations?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Fearful of 'scam' recommendations?

Postby ppnqq » Tue May 10, 2011 1:16 pm

Not sure if any of you have such dilemma or headache.

In forums, we know for certain matters we have to just take with a pinch of salt but sometimes we are really desperate of recommendations or help and most often than not, we are getting lots of 'self-advertising' instead of sincere and honest recommendations and we have to really 'scan' them well and with some gut feelings.

I do not mind self-advertising but can't they be more upright and open which I find it more acceptable (to me).

:idea: :wrongmove:

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Fearful of 'scam' recommendations?

Postby 30plus » Tue May 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Self-advertising more effective when you don't know mah. There is a quite famous case in HWZ forum a few years back. One guy created an account acting as a freelance IT person. He created another ID to post problems and later praised the first account to be very helpful. After a while, the first account has some credential. One fine day, he claimed he has some lobang for cheap hard disk. A lot people then ask him to buy for them. The rest of the story is some typical scam ending.

The cruel fact is that if you are desperate and not familiar with the area, you bound to pay more no matter which way you get advise. Treat it as school fee may make you feel better.

30plus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ZacK » Tue May 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Your posting is kinda vague... Able to cite any examples (do not have to state specific details if it is too sensitive) so that we can better relate to the issue you are raising? :scratchhead:

In any case, I treat most "recommendations" to any problems I am facing with a pinch of salt unless I know who that other person is and what is my personal opinion on the credentials of this person giving me the advice :wink:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BigDevil » Tue May 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Just have to take a look at this thread http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... f=1&t=4827 to realise that this is nothing new, and there will always be such fake "recommendations".

So totally agree with Zack that one should always be more suspicious of words coming from an unfamiliar source.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue May 10, 2011 6:20 pm

ppnqq wrote:Not sure if any of you have such dilemma or headache.

In forums, we know for certain matters we have to just take with a pinch of salt but sometimes we are really desperate of recommendations or help and most often than not, we are getting lots of 'self-advertising' instead of sincere and honest recommendations and we have to really 'scan' them well and with some gut feelings.

I do not mind self-advertising but can't they be more upright and open which I find it more acceptable (to me).

:idea: :wrongmove:

Indeed this is a perpetual problem. The only thing we can do is to rely on community members' reports on suspicious posters who seem to be overly favorable or negative on specific providers. We can then do more detailed investigation on the posts based on their language, style, IP addresses, email addresses, and server logs. Generally, based on these information, we can more or less tell if a set of users are related or not. But it's an art. Not a science.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ppnqq » Thu May 12, 2011 5:37 pm

Yes, agree with all. Btw, was surprised, nope, should be shocked when I looked at the link provided. The list is so long! :yikes: :faint: Anyway, thanks for providing the link. :thankyou:

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu May 12, 2011 8:38 pm

ppnqq wrote:Yes, agree with all. Btw, was surprised, nope, should be shocked when I looked at the link provided. The list is so long! :yikes: :faint: Anyway, thanks for providing the link. :thankyou:

It is actually much longer. We only list the really bad ones there.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ppnqq » Fri May 13, 2011 1:14 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
ppnqq wrote:Yes, agree with all. Btw, was surprised, nope, should be shocked when I looked at the link provided. The list is so long! :yikes: :faint: Anyway, thanks for providing the link. :thankyou:

It is actually much longer. We only list the really bad ones there.

Serious ha? :yikes: :shock: :yikes: :shock:

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Warr » Tue May 17, 2011 2:16 pm

wow! I used to run forums, so I must say that the efforts of the Moderators here are incredible! :salute:

Warr
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Recess Time