roundabout at newton circle & driving in singapore

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

roundabout at newton circle & driving in singapore

Postby LOLMum » Thu May 12, 2011 11:26 am

yes, yes, yes, finally clear markings on the road for a smoother drive.

yesterday was the 2nd time i had used this after being away for a while and was a bit uncomfortable cos' of the jam + bad driving here. so i was very very :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: when i saw clear markings on the road.

:boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

okay, another question to all, what do you think it means when a driver flashes his light at you once or twice when you are doing the following:

1) when you are trying to cut into another lane

2) when you are waiting for an opportunity to move onto the road from the carpark, your house etc.
Last edited by LOLMum on Thu May 12, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: roundabout at newton circle

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:31 am

but still there are many reckless drivers who never use their head and then last minute cut from right most lane to the left most lane or vice versa, literally driving at right angle to the lane
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Thu May 12, 2011 11:38 am

vks2010, I know! I really get irritated with these drivers who try to move from the inside right lane, cross 3 lanes at one go, to exit the roundabout. i always say, if miss the exit so be it, just drive round again lor!

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby AceTutors123 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:50 am

MummyThreeStreams wrote:vks2010, I know! I really get irritated with these drivers who try to move from the inside right lane, cross 3 lanes at one go, to exit the roundabout. i always say, if miss the exit so be it, just drive round again lor!

:smile: agree shouldnt risk driving recklessly just because you wanna save time.
one must think about the consequences. endangering lives of other drivers and their passengers, kids etc.

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby LOLMum » Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 am

but at least with the markings, it is easier to see who is at fault unlike previously.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AceTutors123 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:03 pm

yea. i think in sg the culture is very bad, ungracious and people are always in a rush.

i remember when i was in Australia drivers are so polite and gracious. Maybe its our working environment causing people to be impatient which translates to competitive driving and reckless lane cutting just for the sake of saving time

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby LOLMum » Thu May 12, 2011 12:17 pm

haha, driving in toronto was the best experience i ever had.

at an intersection, all cars stop and the first one to reach there has the right to go first follow by the 2nd arrival. a nod of the head is usually the signal. there was no rush and everyone was very gracious. but guess they are not always not in a hurry so no need to beep and beep and beep.

okay, another question to all, what do you think it means when a driver flashes his light at you once or twice when you are doing the following:

2) when you are waiting for an opportunity to move onto the road from the carpark, your house etc.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Thu May 12, 2011 12:45 pm

MummyThreeStreams wrote:vks2010, I know! I really get irritated with these drivers who try to move from the inside right lane, cross 3 lanes at one go, to exit the roundabout. i always say, if miss the exit so be it, just drive round again lor!

Exactly! First of all, it's not too difficult to position yourself in the lane you want to be in before you even get on the roundabout. And if you miss your exit, just go another round. Won't get lost going round and round.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Thu May 12, 2011 12:46 pm

LOLMum wrote:yes, yes, yes, finally clear markings on the road for a smoother drive.

yesterday was the 2nd time i had used this after being away for a while and was a bit uncomfortable cos' of the jam + bad driving here. so i was very very :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: when i saw clear markings on the road.

:boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

In the Singapore context, i would take it to mean "Don't come in because I am not going to give way to you!"

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Thu May 12, 2011 1:27 pm

LOLMum wrote:okay, another question to all, what do you think it means when a driver flashes his light at you once or twice when you are doing the following:

GET OUT OF MY WAY YOU #$%^^#! THIS IS MY ROAD, I PAID TAX! I WAS HERE FIRST!

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time