NTUC One Million Discount Coupons

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

NTUC One Million Discount Coupons

Postby concern2 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:52 pm

SINGAPORE : NTUC Foodfare Co-operative is giving out a million discount coupons to help more people cope with rising food prices.

The coupons can be used at all 42 Foodfare outlets over the next three months, from April 1 to June 30.

Called the One Million Plates initiative, it was launched in May last year only for union members.

FoodFare is now extending the scheme to all, allowing customers to save between 5 and 15 per cent on their meals.

The coupons can be obtained at booths at the Foodfare outlets.

Perry Ong, CEO, NTUC Foodfare, said: "It is a good idea to also offer these value meals to the public to enjoy, and also at the same time, help them throughout this period to moderate the cost of living.

"The situation that is facing Singapore right now is not just unique to NTUC union members, but to every Singaporean."

The coupons are released in batches at each outlet daily on a first-come-first-served basis and are valid for that day only.

Five hundred coupons will be given out per day at each outlet.

This initiative is expected to cost NTUC Foodfare S$500,000.

Foodfare said it may extend the scheme beyond three months, depending on public feedback.

Source:http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1120140/1/.html

_________

I was at Foodfare and only knew about this when I happened to glance up at the scrolling words at the foodcourt. Initially, I was :drool: Wa, so good, help people cope with rising prices...Then, I realized the implementation is another story.

First of all, the awareness is not enough, I must say. Those who do not read English may not know, and certainly those who do not happen to see the scrolling words would have missed it. I didn't notice any posters to publicize this promotion.

Secondly, the coupons are not valid for all dishes. 2 of the stalls that I visited offer only the most expensive dish in their menu, these of which I wouldn't normally buy. Only the Char Siew Rice was reasonable, I thought, but I can't possibly buy Char Siew Rice everyday.. :sick:

This probed me into thinking: Does Foodfare rebate the stalls for offering these "value meals", or is the amount of S$500,000 that it will cost Foodfare only the opportunity cost? If they do rebate the stalls, which was what I would expect when I handed the coupon over, then why can't they extend it to other items in their menu instead of limiting them to one item of their selection? Perhaps like a straight 50 cents off or something? Or is this another way of getting hawkers to control their pricing.. :slapshead:

Maybe I should go ask whichever hawker who is willing to tell me :evil:

I was pleasantly surprised that people who drew extra coupons bothered to put them back to the printer so others can use it instead of just throwing them away.. :love: shows due consideration since there is a quota (one million meals)

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: NTUC One Million Discount Coupons

Postby concern2 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:15 am

The printer should be somewhere near the entrance, but it may be vary among outlets.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time