Ideas for reducing heat in school?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Ideas for reducing heat in school?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed May 18, 2011 3:00 pm

Front page news today has it that the Ministry is looking for innovative ways to reduce heat WITHOUT increasing utility bills. While the commitment to green is commendable, one cannot but help wonder how the lack of "green dollars" can solve such a "hot" problem.

Here're some ideas that people thinking of responding to the RFP can consider. Free wan. Ideas are cheap. No charge.

1. Reduce class size. Less bodies to heat up the class.

2. Dig a moat around the schools. Other than helping to cool temperatures, it helps to increase security. Students can also use the moat to train for swimming competitions. Keeping a couple of crocodiles around will also help to jagar the school, while acting as pacers and coaches for students training for swimming competitions. The slower kids will, umm, be attritted, which will not only ensure only the best gets to represent the school, but it will also help my Point No. 1 of reducing class size.

3. Hold learning excursions to Changi Airport every Tuesday and Thursday. The air-con there free wan. Got Macdonalds some more.

4. Hold e-lessons every Monday and Friday. At home got free air-con. Kids also get to surf KiasuParents.com to exchange ideas on how to do homework online. So shiok.

5. For the 1st half of Wednesdays' lessons in school, install personal battery-operated fans into desks. Batteries not provided. Students have to buy their own batteries, or recharge them at home. Poorer students may recharge them at the National Library for free.

6. For the 2nd half of Wednesday's lessons, send students to tuition centres for their enrichment lessons.

7. Alternate Saturdays is Grow-A-Tree Day, where each student is supposed to tender to his/her personal tree lining the moat. Trees are great at providing natural shade.

8. And my final and sure-win idea? JUST INSTALL AIR-CON IN EVERY CLASSROOM!!!!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: Ideas for reducing heat in school?

Postby LOLMum » Wed May 18, 2011 3:06 pm

i think schools should install shower cubicles so that the children could have a quick shower after pe.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby poppy15 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:16 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:8. And my final and sure-win idea? JUST INSTALL AIR-CON IN EVERY CLASSROOM!!!!

but that is sure to increase power usage & $$$$ & at least double :sweat:

poppy15
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Wed May 18, 2011 3:44 pm

let our kids wear t-shirt and PE shorts to school during this hot season
off with those pinafores and long pants :evil:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AC » Wed May 18, 2011 3:49 pm

My boy school installed air-con in every classroom somewhere on late March 2011 he was so...oo happy about it BUT only for short period of time. :mad: Now no more air-con liao ???? for whatever reasons ??/ :?

AC
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Wed May 18, 2011 3:52 pm

It's a funnay world, isn't it? Here I am in London, having 13C and overcast, reading this. People here are wearing jackets/jumbles. Tomorrow will be even colder, in Vancouver.

I think Singapore should really rethink the architectures of the school buildings, higher ceilings, good ventilations, thicker walls with heat blockers, windows with UV films, more trees around, or solar panels for covered areas - for longer term solutions. How about underground/basement classrooms :idea:

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pinky » Wed May 18, 2011 3:57 pm

AC wrote:My boy school installed air-con in every classroom somewhere on late March 2011 he was so...oo happy about it BUT only for short period of time. :mad: Now no more air-con liao ???? for whatever reasons ??/ :?

the school didnt pay utilities bills on time? :wink:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Wed May 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Sometimes I wonder why we pay good tax payers $$ to feed some of these top civil servants?
Always searching for "innovative" ideas... but not practical ones...
Reminds me of their "Learn MORE and teach LESS" idea...

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:12 pm

reduce heat ? keep cool ? less competitions lor :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Daddy D wrote:Sometimes I wonder why we pay good tax payers $$ to feed some of these top civil servants?
Always searching for "innovative" ideas... but not practical ones...
Reminds me of their "Learn MORE and teach LESS" idea...

rubbing salt into the wound : how many million $$ you are paying the various ministers and still no solution ? why pay then ? :mad: :mad: :mad:
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time