Motorists raise concern over proposed new ERP system

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Re: Motorists raise concern over proposed new ERP system

Postby UncleLim » Fri May 27, 2011 4:47 pm

After the satellite ERP system is proven to be "successful", the next step would be for each of us Singaporeans to have a IU hung around our necks so as to prevent pedestrian traffic jams !!

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pinky » Fri May 27, 2011 9:35 pm

so the tracking starts the moment we start the engine and until we reach the destination ??

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat May 28, 2011 1:34 am

Actually, instead of investing in millions of dollars developing some new kind of tracking system that is ultimately unreliable - GPS technologies can be flaky due to weather conditions and canyon effects, and we have to remember that Singapore DOESN'T own those satellites... lets face it: the idea is to eventually make motorists pay for using ALL roads.

So I have cheaper solutions:

Reverse-carpark-charging

Since sooner or later we are going to be charged the moment we drive out of our carpark, why not just do count the number of hours we have our cars in carparks, and then charge us for the time we spend NOT in carparks? If a car is in a carpark, it can't be adding to congestion, can it?

Odometer reporting at petrol stations

If it is distance-based road tax charging you want, why not just force motorists to report their odometer readings everytime they top up their gas at stations?

Save those millions of dollars researching the next generation of ERP. Spend them on buying more buses and trains.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sun May 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Use so much money to "encourage" use of public transport. It will be harder to earn a living as a taxi driver if this goes through.

But since they are already investing millions, it's a sure go right? Or else how to explain?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby radiantmum » Sun May 29, 2011 7:48 pm

I felt disgusted when I read it in the papers. Are we the taxpayers consulted? Surely we have more things to prioritise given the state of transportation we are in? Or helping the poor?

& honestly, I dont see ERP making it easier or less congested to drive on the roads.

& what if suddenly ERP system is scrapped (not as unthinkable now that opp wins GRC right?), won't that become a BIG WHITE ELEPHANT?

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sun May 29, 2011 11:29 pm

I don't drive and I tend to travel at off peak hours or the opposite of traffic jams.

But I find ERP just shift the jams to other roads. While those who can pay will have a smoother ride. If taking cab, by trying to avoid ERPs does not mean a cheaper fare.

But there are drivers who need to go to those ERP places which the ERP cost will be burden to them.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun May 29, 2011 11:39 pm

radiantmum wrote:I felt disgusted when I read it in the papers. Are we the taxpayers consulted? Surely we have more things to prioritise given the state of transportation we are in? Or helping the poor?

& honestly, I dont see ERP making it easier or less congested to drive on the roads.

& what if suddenly ERP system is scrapped (not as unthinkable now that opp wins GRC right?), won't that become a BIG WHITE ELEPHANT?

It is highly unlikely that ERP will disappear even if the Opposition becomes incumbent :lol:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Sniper Angel » Mon May 30, 2011 12:01 am

Under the tenders awarded, each party will be given seed funding of $1 million "to design, develop and demonstrate technological solutions" for the new system. This includes on-road testing and may involve the installation of roadside equipment in order to facilitate testing.

1 million think where got enough for big MNC companies to do the task as above? :yikes: Personally I think this system would not be successful & that would be a good news for motorist. :imcool:

Sniper Angel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Recess Time