School Bus

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

School Bus

Postby limlim » Tue May 31, 2011 6:17 pm

Not sure how many parents here uses the school bus services..

Generally, they collect fees for June and Dev holidays too rite? even thou it is school holidays.

What is the justification for this actually?

For those who use these services, if there are holiday activities, does your child's buses operate to pick up students? Since we paid for the school buses even during school holidays, by right, they should operate as usual right? At the very least, if there are extra lessons or holiday activities, the buses should operate.

What is your views on this?

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: School Bus

Postby Oppsgal » Tue May 31, 2011 6:52 pm

Not sure of this as my kid don't take school bus yet. But we paid school fees when there are public holidays or the childcare is closed for centre cleaning.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlurBee » Tue May 31, 2011 9:00 pm

limlim wrote:Generally, they collect fees for June and Dev holidays too rite? even thou it is school holidays.
Yes, they collect fee for both months.

What is the justification for this actually?

For those who use these services, if there are holiday activities, does your child's buses operate to pick up students? Since we paid for the school buses even during school holidays, by right, they should operate as usual right? At the very least, if there are extra lessons or holiday activities, the buses should operate.
No they dun. Maybe it is difficult to arrange.

What is your views on this?

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby acforfamily » Tue May 31, 2011 11:29 pm

I guess it is just the industry standard, if you can call it that.
They can easily charge more for the other months and not collect June / December.

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby limlim » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:15 am

I feel that, the only "valid" reason is that they oso need to eat for June/Dec, so they need the income. (same for childcare, schools etc..)

Fair enough.. But, since we actually PAID for the service, we would expect to be served right? (If they wanna up the fares in other months or watever, I have nothing to say. But if they explicitly state that it is June/Dec fare, then, they should provide the service during that period)

It's not difficult to arrange. The school admin just need to give them a call, saying so and so days got lesson and the timing. Then they just run normal route, and pick up ANYONE at the waiting area. If there is different classes, just use the earliest timing to be fair.

What's so difficult?

Don't you parents feel that we should try and fight for our rights?

Why we pay for the services but are not served? How different is it from daylight robbery?
Last edited by limlim on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chloecube » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:32 am

yup, that i how i felt too
i am staying in tampines and my son school is in Marin parade. i paid $124 one way trip per month
on days when he has to stay back after school for CCA or extra lesson, there is an additional charge of $5
as what limlim had said, i need to pay for June and Dec holiday even when my kid is having holiday
and no, they dun fetch my son during hoilday even when he needs to go bk to school.
his school bus journey takes abt 1.15-1.30 hr to reach home
after thinking abt it, i had decided to cancel the service from next month onwards.
i will ask my maid to fetch him from school instead, after all the calculation, the school bus cost more than public transport
i had also timed it, public buses doesnt take so long to reach home too

chloecube
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:04 am

acforfamily wrote:I guess it is just the industry standard, if you can call it that.
They can easily charge more for the other months and not collect June / December.

yup..agree! if they wanna get $xxx from u, they will get it one way or another, be it 12 mths or 10 mths!!

What I donch understand is how they school bus service works. It looks like some kinda monopoly which the school donch even have much say in the service level.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:14 pm

In addition to the reasons cited above, I think we pay fees during school holidays is also in a way to "reserve" our child's seat on the school bus... Imagine if you do not pay, technically they can offer your child's seat to someone else... Which I think will cause a greater headache for us in terms of school transportation arrangements... So end up we "guai guai" pay.

In a way I agree that since we paid for their services during the school holidays they should send/drop our kids off... But activities during school holidays go outside of the usual school timings, some kids may be start and end earlier and some later... So it will be difficult to make arrangements to send/drop the kids under such situations.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby poppy15 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:36 pm

i remember during my pri sch days, the aunty (sch bus driver) wld even picked us up for those who are having their weekily sat ECAs/CCAs.

then during the sch hols, we hv to tell the aunty in advance if we need her service but its only from home to sch. js tell her what time is our class & she wld tell us what time she wld come to pick us.

now i think the bus operators wld want to have their own holidays too.

poppy15
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:06 pm

ZacK wrote:In addition to the reasons cited above, I think we pay fees during school holidays is also in a way to "reserve" our child's seat on the school bus... Imagine if you do not pay, technically they can offer your child's seat to someone else...

But activities during school holidays go outside of the usual school timings, some kids may be start and end earlier and some later... So it will be difficult to make arrangements to send/drop the kids under such situations.

That case wouldn't be so bad, at least you can choose whether or not to pay the june fees to "book" the seats. But now is, they collect Dec fees with Jan fees, and parent don't even hv a choice..

As for the 2nd part, as I mentioned earlier, they pick up at the earliest timing (to) and latest timing (back). It's up to the student whether to board or not.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time