PUB explains flash floods

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

PUB explains flash floods

Postby Daddy D » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:35 am

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 45/1/.html

"SINGAPORE: National water agency PUB explained that the flash floods on Sunday morning were caused by two bouts of heavy rainfall.... PUB chief executive Khoo Teng Chye said he is studying some possible solutions to prevent future occurrences.... "But given Singapore's built-up situation, these are very, very expensive schemes."...
"Personally, I think our weather has changed. I'm actually psychologically prepared for it to get worse," Dr Balakrishnan said.
"You're dealing with nature, and you're dealing with the weather; you have to be prepared that there is a limit to human engineering and what we can deliver.
"But having said that, let us make sure we have done the best we can and within those limits, then cope with whatever else that nature throws at us." ..."

Their explanation like no explanation... basically tell us to prepare for worse?
Pls lor... if our human engineering cannot prevent flooding... then don't even think about nuclear....

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: PUB explains flash floods

Postby pinky » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:53 am

Daddy D wrote:http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1133345/1/.html

"SINGAPORE: National water agency PUB explained that the flash floods on Sunday morning were caused by two bouts of heavy rainfall.... PUB chief executive Khoo Teng Chye said he is studying some possible solutions to prevent future occurrences.... "But given Singapore's built-up situation, these are very, very expensive schemes."...
"Personally, I think our weather has changed. I'm actually psychologically prepared for it to get worse," Dr Balakrishnan said.
"You're dealing with nature, and you're dealing with the weather; you have to be prepared that there is a limit to human engineering and what we can deliver.
"But having said that, let us make sure we have done the best we can and within those limits, then cope with whatever else that nature throws at us." ..."

Their explanation like no explanation... basically tell us to prepare for worse?
Pls lor... if our human engineering cannot prevent flooding... then don't even think about nuclear....

2 comments:
1. somebody has quoted this phrase before during the orchard road flood
2. then ask Singaporeans to study engineering is giving them 'dead road 1 way'
:slapshead: :slapshead: :slapshead:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sunflowerseed84 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:30 am

it seems like the floods happen after the barrage was built and put in operation? maybe they need to do someth abt pumping the water out of the enclosed area at a faster rate?

sunflowerseed84
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Daddy D » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:37 am

sunflowerseed84 wrote:it seems like the floods happen after the barrage was built and put in operation? maybe they need to do someth abt pumping the water out of the enclosed area at a faster rate?

means our human engineering aka barrage is fail lor... they shld remove the flood control writeup from their 3-in-1 benefits....

http://www.pub.gov.sg/Marina/Pages/3-in ... ts.aspx#fc
"The Marina Barrage is part of a comprehensive flood control scheme to alleviate flooding in the low-lying areas in the city such as Chinatown, Boat Quay, Jalan Besar and Geylang...."

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby beardpapa80 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:46 am

Daddy D wrote:
sunflowerseed84 wrote:it seems like the floods happen after the barrage was built and put in operation? maybe they need to do someth abt pumping the water out of the enclosed area at a faster rate?

means our human engineering aka barrage is fail lor... they shld remove the flood control writeup from their 3-in-1 benefits....

http://www.pub.gov.sg/Marina/Pages/3-in ... ts.aspx#fc
"The Marina Barrage is part of a comprehensive flood control scheme to alleviate flooding in the low-lying areas in the city such as Chinatown, Boat Quay, Jalan Besar and Geylang...."

is orchard a low-lying area? the previous lucky plaza flood they said it was due to some major drains clogging up right? i thought they would have cleaned it by now...

beardpapa80
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:54 am

I don't believe a thing they explained the flood.

1. These flood problems suddenly burst into the national scene in the last 18 to 24 months. Why so sudden ?

2. Vivian Balakrishnan's idea of the weather / climate change that is the root cause of the flood is really treating his voters as idiot. If I see him face to face I will tell him to his face this is rubbish. I accept global warming, but suddenly in the last two years it became so bad all of a sudden ? PM Lee better be reading this.

3. I saw the overflowing canal outside Swiss Club Road / Turf Club / Bukit Timah / Dunearn junction. Right after the Sixth Avenue junction further down along NYGH, the drain wasn't overflowing. WHY ?

4. Duchess / Princess of Wales near SPC station, NYPS Gate B / Lutheran Road was flooded but Kheam Hock Road / NUS was not. WHY ?

5. Why Balmoral / Bukit Timah / Newton not reported to have flood ?

and this morning in the drizzle so many workers were see clearing the run-ff drain along Lutheran Road (not the big drain)

somebody still not doing their work
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:14 pm

maybe we are really sinking with those tunnelling and new constructions going on everywhere :evil:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LKVM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:27 pm

pinky wrote:maybe we are really sinking with those tunnelling and new constructions going on everywhere :evil:

In the past we used to have rains for 3-4 days still no floods now even if it rains for few hours can flood oredi :? is it climate change?

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby beardpapa80 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:59 pm

i dont think is climate change oso.

and i don think with current technology they can be 'caught surprise' by heavy rainfall. they could have given ample warning in advance to potential affected areas at least damage wont be so bad wad.

beardpapa80
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Pen88n » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:28 pm

LKVM wrote:
pinky wrote:maybe we are really sinking with those tunnelling and new constructions going on everywhere :evil:

In the past we used to have rains for 3-4 days still no floods now even if it rains for few hours can flood oredi :? is it climate change?

I think the sudden downpour seems much heavier nowadays.

I supposed if it is raining continuously for 3-4 days, the draining away of the water might be more manageable than a sudden heavy downpour whereby water do not have enough outlets to be drained away effectively within a short period of time.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time