about "ask me your burning maths questions" topic

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

about "ask me your burning maths questions" topic

Postby acforfamily » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:00 pm

Is anyone out there shocked by the kind of maths questions that get posted in Primary schools: "tutor maths guru: ask me your burning maths questions" topic.
While most of them are probably PSLE type questions, some of the questions are so difficult that I suspect they are either Maths Olympiad questions or from some maths competition.

Are these really Primary school maths meant for the mainstream kids? I actually recognise a question which is very similar to the last question in the GEP Maths paper (i.e. the most difficult question). The GEP maths paper is meant to be more difficult than the mainstream paper, if that is so, why are we stressing our ordinary kids who may not be so gifted with maths with such difficult questions.

I think some parents will be worried that if these are really PSLE-type questions, they may drive their kids to practise these type of questions. We will be adding unnecessary stress to the kids.

Would it help if we split up the topic back into "Q&A - PSLE Maths" vs "Other maths questions for fun ? " or something like that. For those who are posting under the latter, they could either state where the questions came from or at least assure other parents that these are not PSLE questions.

I'm rambling ... probably not workable solution ... or probably these are really PSLE type quesions :shock:
Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: about "ask me your burning maths questions" topic

Postby Jennifer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:07 pm

acforfamily wrote:Is anyone out there shocked by the kind of maths questions that get posted in Primary schools: "tutor maths guru: ask me your burning maths questions" topic.
While most of them are probably PSLE type questions, some of the questions are so difficult that I suspect they are either Maths Olympiad questions or from some maths competition.

Are these really Primary school maths meant for the mainstream kids? I actually recognise a question which is very similar to the last question in the GEP Maths paper (i.e. the most difficult question). The GEP maths paper is meant to be more difficult than the mainstream paper, if that is so, why are we stressing our ordinary kids who may not be so gifted with maths with such difficult questions.

I think some parents will be worried that if these are really PSLE-type questions, they may drive their kids to practise these type of questions. We will be adding unnecessary stress to the kids.

Would it help if we split up the topic back into "Q&A - PSLE Maths" vs "Other maths questions for fun ? " or something like that. For those who are posting under the latter, they could either state where the questions came from or at least assure other parents that these are not PSLE questions.

I'm rambling ... probably not workable solution ... or probably these are really PSLE type quesions :shock:

In order not to stress myself unduly, I hv long ago stopped visiting those Academic postings. See no evil= feel no evil :imanangel:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Faun » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:17 am

acforfamily wrote:Is anyone out there shocked by the kind of maths questions that get posted in Primary schools: "tutor maths guru: ask me your burning maths questions" topic.
While most of them are probably PSLE type questions, some of the questions are so difficult that I suspect they are either Maths Olympiad questions or from some .

I thoroughly agree with you some of these questions are so so tough, in fact they are SICK. I believe even the math teachers can't do and need to reverse engineer from the answer to get get solution.

It's ashame that our kids are made to feel they're never good enough in their math by having to do this type of questions in the exam.

I tell my girl, these type of questions are for moe to sieve diamond from the rocks. If you are not diamond, no need to work like nuts to look like one, just play on your strength, there are many more interesting things to do in
in life than to solve those silly problems that don't happen in real life.

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:26 am

Faun wrote:are made to feel they're never good enough in their math by having to do this type of questions in the exam.

Is your girl's teacher projecting this mentality?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ksme » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 am

Jennifer wrote:

In order not to stress myself unduly, I hv long ago stopped visiting those Academic postings. See no evil= feel no evil :imanangel:

Jennifer,
I also have stopped visiting those threads.

Acforfamily,
I think you are right that most questions do look like GEP questions or maths olympiad questions. I suppose when people post to this thread, they are not the PSLE questions since there is a separate thread for PSLE Maths. Maybe GEPper also need help for Maths? :evil:

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby acforfamily » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:00 pm

Jennifer wrote:In order not to stress myself unduly, I hv long ago stopped visiting those Academic postings. See no evil= feel no evil :imanangel:

actually, I also stopped visiting them quite some time ago. That day, I was just curious and went in to take a look.
My heart nearly stopped when I saw more than 300 pages of such questions.....I was wondering, if this is PSLE question, then I better tell my kid to buck up !!

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby acforfamily » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:03 pm

ksme wrote:I think you are right that most questions do look like GEP questions or maths olympiad questions. I suppose when people post to this thread, they are not the PSLE questions since there is a separate thread for PSLE Maths. Maybe GEPper also need help for Maths? :evil:

No need to look evil, some GEP kids are very good in languages but not in may just be average in Maths.

you are right, the PSLE maths thread also has 300 + pages .... :yikes:

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Is this what they call "Murderous Math"? All out to murder the kids' interest? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Have mercy I hope on mainstream kids. :xedfingers:

Postby acforfamily » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 pm

ksi wrote:Is this what they call "Murderous Math"? All out to murder the kids' interest? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: Good one!

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Actually, most of the questions posted in that thread are REAL questions that you can expect to happen in the PSLE. I kid you not.

The only good news is that they are normally the hardest 1 or 2 questions in the examination.

Why? Because if it was easy, no one would post the question. That was what my son said :roll:

Now you understand why parents are usually up in arms after the Math exam.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Next

Return to Recess Time