How to grow cactus indoor?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How to grow cactus indoor?

Postby fxchow » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi,

Does anyone put a small pot of cactus on your office table to absorb computer radiation?

If yes, may I know how you take care of the cactus to let it grow healthy? TIA :smile:

fxchow

fxchow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to grow cactus indoor?

Postby sall » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Some types of cactus need direct sunlight and these will not grow well indoor, unless it's placed near the window with direct sunlight. It's better to choose forest cactus as they do not need direct sunlight, water sparingly. I'm not so convinced about cactus being able to absorb radiation, but I've also heard of this before.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:22 pm

They thrive quite well if placed next to window. My colleague used to have 10 pots growing on her window sill in the office.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby fxchow » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:18 am

sall wrote:Some types of cactus need direct sunlight and these will not grow well indoor, unless it's placed near the window with direct sunlight. It's better to choose forest cactus as they do not need direct sunlight, water sparingly. I'm not so convinced about cactus being able to absorb radiation, but I've also heard of this before.

Hi sall,

Thank you for your sharing.

I like cactus and heard of it can absorb radiation so decided to put one near my computer. At the same time, i can look at the "green" when my eyes are tired. :smile:

Talk about radiation, my colleague just bought a piece of gold coated metal costs $20 and pasted it on the monitor to absorb radiation.

fxchow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby fxchow » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:52 am

jtoh wrote:They thrive quite well if placed next to window. My colleague used to have 10 pots growing on her window sill in the office.

Hi jtoh,

Thanks for your sharing.

Wow! so many pots of cactus in your office. That's good, a pleasant working environment. :smile:

fxchow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kayatoaster » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:43 am

fxchow wrote:
sall wrote:Some types of cactus need direct sunlight and these will not grow well indoor, unless it's placed near the window with direct sunlight. It's better to choose forest cactus as they do not need direct sunlight, water sparingly. I'm not so convinced about cactus being able to absorb radiation, but I've also heard of this before.

Hi sall,

Thank you for your sharing.

I like cactus and heard of it can absorb radiation so decided to put one near my computer. At the same time, i can look at the "green" when my eyes are tired. :smile:

Talk about radiation, my colleague just bought a piece of gold coated metal costs $20 and pasted it on the monitor to absorb radiation.

the gold coated metal is it like a piece of sticker, slightly bigger than a stamp size? are cactus really effective in adsorbing radiation? any type or got specific one?

kayatoaster
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:03 am

hmmm...nowsaday all LCD/LED monitors...working on low voltages. Still got radiation? :?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sunflowerseed84 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:13 am

Nebbermind wrote:hmmm...nowsaday all LCD/LED monitors...working on low voltages. Still got radiation? :?

radiation is due to the high voltages used wor? learnt someth new today :)

sunflowerseed84
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:20 am

no joke lah. CRT = cathode ray tube...electrons are accelerated using high voltages and bombard against the screen to give the images.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sunflowerseed84 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:45 am

Nebbermind wrote:no joke lah. CRT = cathode ray tube...electrons are accelerated using high voltages and bombard against the screen to give the images.

lol cute pic! so lcd, led and plasma shld be safer lah.

sunflowerseed84
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time