Yearend Baby

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Yearend Baby

Postby Castle House » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:13 pm

Hihi

Anyone whose baby is born near yearend? Nov, Dec?

I have a Dec baby.. and I feel her developments as compared to her kor kor and jie jie are much slower?

Any comments?

She should be 3 next year.. and I am still deciding to send her to playgroup like what I did for my 2 elder kids when they were 3..

Any advise?

Castle House
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Yearend Baby

Postby BeContented » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:19 pm

Errr.....every child is different and being a year-end baby, the contrast is even greater when she goes playgroup & nursery. Think will be so for the first 7 years...

My DD was supposed to be a mid-Jan baby but due to CS, she became 31Dec. Had a hard time initially as preschool teachers will be commenting and commenting about her slowness compared to others..... dun worry too much as long as she is developing along the normal timeframe, some things just have to let it develop naturally :)

Just to rest your mind.....while she was very 'slow' in absorbing her work initially, at 10 now, she has caught up and doing pretty fine. Just still kinda childish sometimes :)

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:24 pm

Actually, all my kids are "yr end" babies. 31st Oct, Beginning Nov and Beginning Dec.

Maybe when the kids are younger, year end babies are "disadvantaged" as compared to beginning of the year babies who have learnt more things and are probably more matured. As they can be a good 10 months older. However, this "disadvantage" will not be visible when it comes to Primary school.

I actually send the 3 of them to pre-nursery classes the moment they turn 3 from a calendar year perspective. So they are probably only 2+ when they did so. Personally I think it's fine to expose and let the child learn social skills, etc...

BTW, my youngest is K2 and eldest P4 now.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Castle House » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Thank you mummies..

I kind of worried too that Teachers will comment she is much slower.. and will 'kick' her out of the school...

She doesn't really talk much yet.. she can acknowledge all the family members.. some bb language..

Not toilet train yet..

If I register her for the 2hour playgroup.. school begins Jan next year.. and she will be just 2yo.. like so poor thing.. hehe

*headache*

Castle House
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:35 pm

2 hour will be a good time for her to play & socialize. Dun worry, just ignore teacher's comment or tell them she's a year-end baby. But frankly, not all understand or sensitive. Remembered teacher saying DD slow cos others can trace but dd still cannot control. Also initially, dd would just take a chair to sit & watch from a corner. Would not participate, just watched for ~1+week b4 she started to join in. Always remember, she is year-end, give her time to develop.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:43 pm

When they are small (<5 years old), the difference in obvious as they lose out quite some time and their development (motor skills, language, etc.) will be quite a gap compared with start of year kid - remember 6 months quite a lot of difference to a toddler's development. Over time, they will catch up.

Some people has commented that overall gals mature and learn faster than boys when young - so year end gal is still faster than year end boy. Both my DS and DD are year end kids but they are coping well in sch.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dramamama70 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi, my youngest dd is also a Dec baby. Compared to her peers who are born earlier, there is a marked difference in her developments. She is in P3 now and I think she is finally catching up...

dramamama70
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:47 pm

The younger they are, the more apparent the difference is. But if you are aware of that, it's fine. 2 hours is fine... Actually the pre-school did all the toilet training for us. For the pre-nursery I sent them to, it was 3 hours.

I received a comment from my K2's CL teacher during term 1. She told me that although my girl looks big (she is pretty tall) but she is still very innocent and "pure". Sometimes when there are disputes, people tend to jump to conclusion that it must be the bigger build kids who started it. But she realised in my girl's case, it's not and some of her behavior is still quite babyish. I told her that she looks big and mature but she is actually a nov baby. So to a certain extent, she might not be as mature as her peers who were born earlier. Don't worry they will outgrow it.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:16 pm

MMM wrote:She told me that although my girl looks big (she is pretty tall) but she is still very innocent and "pure". Sometimes when there are disputes, people tend to jump to conclusion that it must be the bigger build kids who started it. But she realised in my girl's case, it's not and some of her behavior is still quite babyish. I told her that she looks big and mature but she is actually a nov baby..

i get the same feedback for my ds2 too (that he is very childlike).
he is the tallest in his class (K1), so unless he opens his mouth to speak, people will tend to think that he is in K2 or lower primary (he is as tall as some of my ds1's petite girl classmate). :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BeContented » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:21 pm

Ha ha....think kids these days are very well nourished. My DD also.....since nursery start to be BIGGER than her peers (both vertically and horizontally).....always mistaken to be 1-2 years older.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time