Recruit tried to swim out of Tekong camp

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Recruit tried to swim out of Tekong camp

Postby Brainkid » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:02 am

A RECRUIT from the Basic Military Training Centre (BMTC) on Pulau Tekong, said to have been having problems coping there, attempted to swim back to mainland Singapore last December. ...

Check out:http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=41082

Just what are the problems with our future children or is there a problem with the military camp?!

Brainkid
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:48 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Recruit tried to swim out of Tekong camp

Postby jtoh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:13 am

Children these days live a more sheltered life. Many are ferried everywhere because parents do not allow them to take public transport, even at secondary school. Some don't do much physical exercises - their CCA in school is chess, mind games, math society etc. Some struggle through yearly NAPFA tests.

Even at boarding, some parents insist on helping their kids to pack up every weekend, some going so far as to bring in maids to help. On compulsory overseas trips, some parents tag along, stay at the same hotel etc, just so they can be near their precious just in case.

How do kids learn to be independent and to develop physically for NS? Not surprising that they have a hard time dealing with it.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Re: Recruit tried to swim out of Tekong camp

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:26 am

Brainkid wrote:A RECRUIT from the Basic Military Training Centre (BMTC) on Pulau Tekong, said to have been having problems coping there, attempted to swim back to mainland Singapore last December. ...

Check out:http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=41082

Just what are the problems with our future children or is there a problem with the military camp?!


If he succeeded in swimming across, maybe he should be recruited into the commando unit. That would have been some feat.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Re: Recruit tried to swim out of Tekong camp

Postby pinky » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:29 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Brainkid wrote:A RECRUIT from the Basic Military Training Centre (BMTC) on Pulau Tekong, said to have been having problems coping there, attempted to swim back to mainland Singapore last December. ...

Check out:http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=41082

Just what are the problems with our future children or is there a problem with the military camp?!


If he succeeded in swimming across, maybe he should be recruited into the commando unit. That would have been some feat.


navy commando-quite prestigous to be one hor

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2838
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Recruit tried to swim out of Tekong camp

Postby smurf » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:30 am

But nowadays, there are so many perverts out there, of course some parents tend to be more careful and try to protect their kids. Last time dun have so many perverts? Think p1 boy been molested at school toilet, etc.

The point is, at what age would you let your kid off by himself/ herself?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2329
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:27 am
Total Likes: 0



Re: Recruit tried to swim out of Tekong camp

Postby smurf » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:32 am

But nowadays, there are so many perverts out there, of course some parents tend to be more careful and try to protect their kids. Last time dun have so many perverts? Think p1 boy been molested at school toilet, etc.

The point is, at what age would you let your kid off by himself/ herself?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2329
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:27 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Recruit tried to swim out of Tekong camp

Postby Edureach » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:32 am

He had attempted the much more difficult task. The 2-month physical training is comparatively easier, awkward decision.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:44 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Recruit tried to swim out of Tekong camp

Postby LOLMum » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:32 am

jtoh wrote:Children these days live a more sheltered life. Many are ferried everywhere because parents do not allow them to take public transport, even at secondary school. [b]Some don't do much physical exercises - their CCA in school is chess, mind games, math society etc[/b]. Some struggle through yearly NAPFA tests.



unfortunately most schools only want students who are capable of winning medals for the school in the sports cca. moreover, the school team would have priority use of the field, court,pool.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:25 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Recruit tried to swim out of Tekong camp

Postby wapobs » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:33 am

no wonder commando camp so near tekong, now I know why. :rotflmao:

wapobs
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 4:37 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Recruit tried to swim out of Tekong camp

Postby BeContented » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:34 am

jtoh wrote:Children these days live a more sheltered life. Many are ferried everywhere because parents do not allow them to take public transport, even at secondary school. Some don't do much physical exercises - their CCA in school is chess, mind games, math society etc. Some struggle through yearly NAPFA tests.

Even at boarding, some parents insist on helping their kids to pack up every weekend, some going so far as to bring in maids to help. On compulsory overseas trips, some parents tag along, stay at the same hotel etc, just so they can be near their precious just in case.

How do kids learn to be independent and to develop physically for NS? Not surprising that they have a hard time dealing with it.


Ha ha....now I worry & guilty. My P5 DS has been pestering me to let him go home himself after school everyday. It's either a 15 mins public bus ride + 7mins walk or 25mins walking.....with a damn heavy schoolbag. Mahjiam like a army backpack since the bag is ~20-25% of his weight. Let him get trained up now? Scared he gets too comfortable and next time lazy..... :wink:
Last edited by BeContented on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am
Total Likes: 84


Next

Return to Recess Time