Self-focused young generation

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Self-focused young generation

Postby lisadrome » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:19 pm

I can't help it but I think that Singaporean youths- are becoming more self-focused... I want this-- as I "must to be seen as" this...

The “What’s in it for me?” syndrome may be starting to creep in these younger generation and what worse may even stunt their possibilities of achieving common goals and objectives when it comes to unified team-building, or in the long road become courteous Singaporeans willing to have a heart to see another person as a 'person'...

How can we help them break out of it? Should it start at home? what can schools do to create the awareness?

Any thoughts- teachers in this forums, mums in this forums...

lisadrome
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Self-focused young generation

Postby snowman.697 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:01 pm

Stop focussing too much on grades and being the top. The whole point of exams is to do your best, not to be the best.

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 3Boys » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:27 am

Children model off their parents. If they see parents treating their FDWs badly, they will learn that it is ok to mistreat servants. If they see self centred behaviour, that's what they will absorb. If they hear and get taught idealism, hopefully, they will imbibe it.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wapobs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:30 am

why say younger generation?
parents/adults oso same same.

wapobs
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby lisadrome » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Yes what snowman.697 says is true but then are we then telling then our kids not to receive results they aim for? How can that be right?

wapobs- what can parents whom themselves as self-focused individuals teach their young?

and if parents fail then what about schools - which also may be filled with these self-focused individuals only working for what they earn, sometimes even that's not the case... its that sad huh?

HOW??

love to hear your thoughts!

lisadrome
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby wapobs » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:48 pm

lisadrome wrote:Yes what snowman.697 says is true but then are we then telling then our kids not to receive results they aim for? How can that be right?

wapobs- what can parents whom themselves as self-focused individuals teach their young?

and if parents fail then what about schools - which also may be filled with these self-focused individuals only working for what they earn, sometimes even that's not the case... its that sad huh?

HOW??

love to hear your thoughts!

i dunno, u can go ask tua pek kong.

wapobs
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Daddy D » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:27 am

Chenonceau wrote:
snowman.697 wrote:Overcrowding will NEVER be solved!!

snowman.697 wrote:May I have a solution as to how overcrowding can be solved?

Maybe we could look to the solutions in other countries (e.g., Hong Kong)...
http://openkitchenconcept.blogspot.com/ ... %2B08%3A00
The lady who writes this blog is very widely travelled. She has experienced the public transport system on every continent. And she points us in a direction where one might find a solution.

It might be premature to conclude that there is no solution to a problem without having brought more effort to bear on finding a solution. After all, mankind has found innovative solutions to so many things.

One could just as well as have said...
- "There is no solution to the problem of having to wait 3 months to get a letter from England"
- "There is no cure for cancer"

In Queen Victoria's Britain, some aristocrats said
- "There is no solution to the problem of overcrowding in poor tenements. That is how poor people have lived for centuries."

Once one concludes that there is no solution, one stops searching. For sure then, the problem will not be solved. I'm a little surprised that you are 13... because your thinking seems to be very old. Usually, it is old people who are closed to possibilities... who do not keep an open mind to what is possible... and cannot envisage change because they know the status quo and cannot see beyond it.

I am quite concerned that you are not the only young person that I have come across who believes that Singapore has problems that cannot be solved. One young man in a top class in a top JC (with stellar grades) commented that even if our education system has problems he sees no solution, then there must be no solution. I discerned some arrogance there. If I (top grader in top class in top JC) sees no solution, then there must be none. I too was challenged to propose a solution at that time. I couldn't propose any at that time because I had had no access to data, to successful case studies, to historical events in the development of the current system. But I refused to accept that just because he couldn't find a solution and I had no solution - then there must be no solution.

No solutions to the problem of overcrowding? Why so easily accept intellectual defeat? Have we become a nation of physical AND intellectual weaklings? Physically, we have soldiers who ask maids to carry their backpacks. Intellectually, we have talented students in top schools who have been so crammed with knowledge that they fail to see beyond the knowledge we feed them, to possibilities that don't yet exist.

Surely this is not your fault. What have the elders of this nation done to age a nation's youth beyond their time? In youth mental processes and blood veins/arteries are flexible. Arteriosclerosis sets in only after middle age unless the body has been much abused. Have we so much abused our talented youth so much that they have developed arteriosclerosis of the mind?

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:44 am

snowman.697 wrote:Stop focussing too much on grades and being the top. The whole point of exams is to do your best, not to be the best.

This is just a bad excuse for failure... exactly the reason why our SG students are losing out to foreign students.

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:54 am

3Boys wrote:Children model off their parents. If they see parents treating their FDWs badly, they will learn that it is ok to mistreat servants. If they see self centred behaviour, that's what they will absorb. If they hear and get taught idealism, hopefully, they will imbibe it.

Depends what parenting style we adopt to influence our children.
"I eat more rice than you" ?
"spare the rod and spoil the child" ?
"慈母多败儿"?

My parent's generation adopted a stricter parenting style then we do today. But I think their method worked fine.
I am still learning as a parent and trying to strike a balance.

You have 3 boys? Perhaps your method works.

We can always agree to disagree. :celebrate:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:58 am

Daddy D... I need to clarify that I don't think that Snowman is self-focused at all. Indeed, I think he is just the opposite. It is actually most excellent that he is applying his mind to the analysis of current affairs. And we shouldn't be so hard on him as to discourage him.

I think he is good kid, and has a lot of potential... and do bear in mind that he is only 13 and therefore may be forgiven some lack of depth in problem analysis. His discourse has been impressive for a 13 year old because it already surpasses others' discourse, who are older and more experienced.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time