How to teach a child to read sentences?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How to teach a child to read sentences?

Postby bezzlay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi, I recently met a mum who do not know English and she told me her DS has problem reading sentences. Does any one has good advice on how this mum can teach/guide her son daily?

bezzlay
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to teach a child to read sentences?

Postby tutormum » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:44 pm

bezzlay wrote:Hi, I recently met a mum who do not know English and she told me her DS has problem reading sentences. Does any one has good advice on how this mum can teach/guide her son daily?

Teach the child to read and recognise words first. Get books that repeat the words as the story progresses e.g. Ladybirds series which caters for different age groups. However, don't limit the child according to the age groups. Start from the basic and progress according to his ability.

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:13 pm

bezzlay wrote:Hi, I recently met a mum who do not know English and she told me her DS has problem reading sentences. Does any one has good advice on how this mum can teach/guide her son daily?

do not know English :? get those dvd to watch for teaching kids?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:14 pm

tutormum wrote:

Teach the child to read and recognise words first. Get books that repeat the words as the story progresses e.g. Ladybirds series which caters for different age groups. However, don't limit the child according to the age groups. Start from the basic and progress according to his ability.

don't know English cannot guide son...

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Websites like starfall n pbs kids "reads" the words n sentences. Let child listen n follow. Mum can learn together with child......
Last edited by bebebub on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:03 pm

bebebub wrote:Websites like starfall n bps kids "reads" the words n sentences. Let child listen n follow. Mum can learn together with child......

agree. but then again, do they have internet access at home?
how old is the kid? does the mum has the time to learn with the kid?
if the kid is preschooler, she can
- look out for NLB story telling
- borrow dvd from NLB. i am assuming that the kid understand english, but dunno how to read. with the dvds, can switch on the subtitles and read and listen at the same time. recommend 'Super Why' dvds. :)
- look for mentor to read to the kid (neighbour/relative) regularly
- sesame street also good.
- go back to basics. bring the kid to the library frequently. the kid get to choose his/her own reading materials. simple ones are ok. work on word recognition or phonetic first.

there isn't much infor about the standard of the kid's english for us to give more suitable suggestion.

a handful of us grew up with parents who don't know how to read too. back then, no internet access and don't have as good/many libraries. think back how we manage and see if can apply to current day scenerio. inculcate a love for learning and the kid will then be able to find ways to learn given the odds.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:11 pm

How old is the son?

Postby bezzlay » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:09 am

Thank you everyone for the good advice. I have got some ideas to recommend the mum. Will probably ask her to let him watch more english cartoons, go library to borrow books and dvd and played the computer games there. And most important of all the child needs to have a right attitude in learning.

The child is P1.

bezzlay
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ZacK » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Personally I thought one of the great "self-help" for kids to start them out in reading is the Leapfrog series of products... Perhaps something like this may help? http://www.leapfrog.com/tag/

DS1 did not have this reading pen... He had the one of the leapfrog products where it was like a giant reading book, insert the cartridge and the corresponding book, use the pointer pen and the device will read out the words. He also loves the Leapfrog DVDs where they taught him how to how to read words using phonics...

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bezzlay » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:04 pm

This boy's family is not well-off so I need to know more primitive ways of getting him read more independently.

bezzlay
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time