Gimmicks at Electronics Fair?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Postby Lilac66 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:55 pm

Read the ad today about a 32 inch Toshiba LCD TV going at $219 with $60 voucher given . So in fact, we will pay only $159 for the TV. But it claimed that it's only limited to the 1st 50 sets.

Seeing that, we rushed down to the expo and reached there at about 11.40am, not that long after it was opened .The crowd was smaller than expected. However, much to our chagrin :rant: , the salesperson said it was sold out and they were busy (and enthusiatically) promoting another more ex brand. We then realised that it was a gimmick to lure people there with a not so genuine offer. :stompfeet: What is your take on these offers at the fairs? Are they for real or just a gimmick?

maybe we were just a tad too late for the offer, or maybe not??

Lilac66
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Gimmicks at Electronics Fair?

Postby tankee » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:58 pm

could be genuine since today is day 2 of the 3 days show.

i thought the gimmick was that part of the discount is from DBS's WOWME and the other part is in the form of cash vouchers that probably must be used for subsequent purchase at the same show.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Lilac66 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:23 pm

Oh, they claimed that the will have 50 sets per day :roll:

Lilac66
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:10 pm

It's a gimmick. I was there too, because I was stupid enough not to listen to my inner-self telling me that there is no such thing as a free ride. Anyway, if you are patient enough to listen to their "auctions", you can get a bunch of freebies with your purchases.

I just left without buying anything.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby titank » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:59 pm

Yes it seem like almost every week there is electronics fair where there are $1 items. When I went down there & ask example $150 Canon Camera, they said have to come early & quene.

Notice most of this fair are hold by Audio House. Sometime really a waste of time & $$ head all the way down to Expo Singapore. Usually the freebies are a bunch of useless item.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:07 pm

Err.. KSP actually got pple believe in such things?

They say sold out, how are you able to prove whether the 50sets actually existed? can oni LLST..

Even if they "existed", they could be reserved for their staff or company associates watever.. Any1 of their "staff" can be the 1st in the queue and snap all up.. what can you say abt that?

And, if there is indeed a genuine offer.. you will need to be there at least 40mins before the doors open, if not 4 hrs.. And not 40mins "after" the doors opened..

I would say, don't bother lah... never believed in such offers..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:15 pm

If it is something like the PC show or computers fairs.. I would believe that the offer could be real.. There is so many competitors.. doubt any1 would try to pull a fast one on consumers..

As for those "electronic fairs", I never trusted their advert.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UncleLim » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:29 pm

titank wrote:Yes it seem like almost every week there is electronics fair where there are $1 items. When I went down there & ask example $150 Canon Camera, they said have to come early & quene.

Notice most of this fair are hold by Audio House. Sometime really a waste of time & $$ head all the way down to Expo Singapore. Usually the freebies are a bunch of useless item.

Even my kids can tell. They will shout while reading the newspaper adverts " Daaaaaddddd.... more ridiculous offers from Aud** House again !!!! ". Then everyone in the family laughs loudly. :rotflmao:

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby needtoupdate » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:38 pm

i also have wasted my time and effort before @ audxx xxx,
BETTER to go to harvey norman or Best denki

needtoupdate
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby BigDevil » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:28 pm

I was at Singapore Expo last month for some work-related matter and chanced upon an electronics fair by C****s. The gimmick for that fair was that everyday, there would be some items offered at "special" price, and only limited units available. They kept track of how many units sold by issuing coupons at the door, so only those with coupon were entitled to make the purchase at the "special" price.

I went in and bought myself a new Jug Kettle at sale price of $21, down from the "original price" of $29. This item was not one of the daily limited specials.

The following day, I was back at Expo to continue with my work. During a break, I walked pass the fair again and discovered that the jug kettle I bought a day earlier was the daily limited special for that day!!

But guess what the "special" price for that day was?? Yep....$21!

I went into the show floor and found that the display price for that kettle was now $29. Even better was the promoters were telling passersby that with or without coupon, we could buy the kettle at $21 that day. So the "limited" offer was not limited at all!

My work completed and I didn't go back for a third day. But I'm pretty sure the kettle would be on "sale" at $21 again. :roll:

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Next

Return to Recess Time