Is Raffles Hotel a Popular hotel?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve

Is Raffles Hotel a Popular hotel?

Postby optimistforum » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:05 am

I have been watching repeats of the old BBC drama, Tenko, and the last series is mostly set at Raffles Hotel.

I like the look of this hotel and I may stay there when I visit Singapore; I do also like the Marina Sands.

Raffles has an enigmatic charm and I wonder if it is highly rated by SIngaporeans. Any feedback is welcome.

Re: Is Raffles Hotel a Popular hotel?

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:05 am

It is an all-suite hotel

It is Michael Jackson's favourite, whenever he is in town, he stays there, not as if he is often in S'pore

It is a historic building under the national heritage board and is gazetted as a national monument

It has a long history, and that is where the cocktail Singapore Sling originated from....and if you are flying to Singapore on Singapore Airlines, you can get the same cocktail on board too (regardless which class you fly)

It is named Raffles as it is opposite the Raffles Institution which used to occupy the place now known as the Raffles City, (named after the school which has since relocated) ...and of course Raffles is named after the founder of Singapore who first arrived in 1819

Re: Is Raffles Hotel a Popular hotel?

Postby laughingcat » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:41 pm

Should you want to come down to Singapore, remember to plan in timely for the book fairs or warehouse sales. :evil:

Return to Recess Time