News about drawbacks of high-tech gadgets

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

News about drawbacks of high-tech gadgets

Postby smartmummy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi All!
I shocked and unbelieved whenever I heard about such news.
You may contribute these type news.So that we can aware and safe ourselves.

Chinese Couple Sells Their Kids for Online Gaming Money
By Will Herring | Gamepro | 27 July 11

As reported by ABC, Chinese couple Li Lin and Li Juan has been apprehended by authorities after, yes, selling their three children to pay for online games. Parenting.
The couple, who reportedly met at an internet cafe in 2007, bonded over their love for online gaming, and a year later had their first child, a baby boy. In 2009 they "welcomed" their second child, a baby girl, shortly thereafter deciding to sell her to support their online gaming habit. They did so, and earned RMB 3,000 -- a little under $500 -- later selling their firstborn child for ten times that, at RMB 30,000 (about $4600). They later had another baby boy, and sold him at the same price.

Upon their arrest, the couple claimed that they were unaware that it was illegal to sell their children for throwaway gaming funds. When asked if they'd miss their children, they responded, "We don?t want to raise them, we just want to sell them for some money."

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/game/32 ... ing-money/

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4952
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:00 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: News about drawbacks of high-tech gadgets

Postby tankee » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:42 pm

last year there was a news about a korean couple were too busy taking care of their online baby that they neglected their reallife baby.

tankee
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17790
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 18


Re: News about drawbacks of high-tech gadgets

Postby smartmummy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:43 pm

Previously I heard that a teen sold his kidney for ipad.

The kid dead in the pool cos kid's mother using iphone and she didn't notice.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4952
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:00 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: News about drawbacks of high-tech gadgets

Postby smartmummy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:47 pm

tankee wrote:last year there was a news about a korean couple were too busy taking care of their online baby that they neglected their reallife baby.

yeah I also heard this.very scary addict to something.I can't believe couple can do such thing.normally teenages doing.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4952
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:00 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: News about drawbacks of high-tech gadgets

Postby smartmummy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:53 pm

I received the folloing from email.

With all the new electronic technology - this experience gives all of us something to think about.

GPS
A couple of weeks ago a friend told me that someone she knew had their car broken-into while they were at a Football game.
Their car was parked on the green which was adjacent to the football stadium and specially allotted to football fans. Things stolen from the car included:
a garage door Remote Control,
some money and
a GPS which had been prominently mounted on the dashboard.
When the victims got home, they found that their house had been ransacked and just about everything worth anything had been stolen.

1. The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house.
2. They then used the Garage Remote Control to open the garage door and gain entry to the house.
3. The thieves knew the owners were at the football game, they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish and so they knew how much time they had to clean out the house.
4. It would appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents.

Something to consider if you have a GPS -
don't put your home address in it. Put a nearby address (like a store or gas station) so you can still find your way home if you need to, but no one else would know where you live if your GPS were stolen.

MOBILE PHONES
I never thought of this.......

This lady has now changed her habit of how she lists her names on her mobile phone after her handbag was stolen.
Her handbag, which contained her cell phone, credit card, wallet... Etc...was stolen.
20 minutes later when she called her husband from a Pay Phone telling him what had happened, he said 'I received your text asking about our Pin Number and I've replied a little while ago.'
When they rushed down to the Bank, their money was already withdrawn. The thief had actually used the stolen cell phone to text 'Hubby' in the Contact List and got hold of the Pin Number.. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn considerable amount of money from their Bank Account.

Moral of the lesson:
Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your Contact List.

Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Dad, Mom, etc....
And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked through texts, CONFIRM by calling back.

Also, when you're being text by friends or family to meet them
somewhere, be sure to call them back to Confirm that the Message came from them.
If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places to meet 'family and friends' who text you.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4952
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:00 pm
Total Likes: 2



Re: News about drawbacks of high-tech gadgets

Postby jtoh » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:41 am

smartmummy - I'd read about these cases before. But still a timely reminder.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Re: News about drawbacks of high-tech gadgets

Postby limlim » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:18 am

smartmummy wrote:I received the folloing from email.

With all the new electronic technology - this experience gives all of us something to think about.

MOBILE PHONES
I never thought of this.......

Moral of the lesson:
Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your Contact List.

Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Dad, Mom, etc....
And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked through texts, CONFIRM by calling back.

Also, when you're being text by friends or family to meet them
somewhere, be sure to call them back to Confirm that the Message came from them.
If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places to meet 'family and friends' who text you.


Moral of the lesson:

LOCK the mobile phone!

Set Always prompt for password.

Not only it helps to prevent data thief..

It helps to prevent accident press on the call button too. :wink:

Sometimes, rec a call but no one talking.. and many BG noise.. like somehow the phone accidentally called like that..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:43 pm
Total Likes: 102


Re: News about drawbacks of high-tech gadgets

Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:43 am

limlim wrote:
smartmummy wrote:I received the folloing from email.

With all the new electronic technology - this experience gives all of us something to think about.

MOBILE PHONES
I never thought of this.......

Moral of the lesson:
Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your Contact List.

Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Dad, Mom, etc....
And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked through texts, CONFIRM by calling back.

Also, when you're being text by friends or family to meet them
somewhere, be sure to call them back to Confirm that the Message came from them.
If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places to meet 'family and friends' who text you.


Moral of the lesson:

LOCK the mobile phone!

Set Always prompt for password.

Not only it helps to prevent data thief..

It helps to prevent accident press on the call button too. :wink:

Sometimes, rec a call but no one talking.. and many BG noise.. like somehow the phone accidentally called like that..


Those calls are fun to listen in on. Can hear gossip sometimes because they don't know the phone is on. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Re: News about drawbacks of high-tech gadgets

Postby limlim » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:11 pm

jtoh wrote:
Those calls are fun to listen in on. Can hear gossip sometimes because they don't know the phone is on. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:


U muz be looking forward to those "ah.. ahh......." calls rite.. :evil: :evil:

maybe they put the phone on the bed and accidentally pressed on it while executing tactical movement.........

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:43 pm
Total Likes: 102


Re: News about drawbacks of high-tech gadgets

Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:47 pm

limlim wrote:
jtoh wrote:
Those calls are fun to listen in on. Can hear gossip sometimes because they don't know the phone is on. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:


U muz be looking forward to those "ah.. ahh......." calls rite.. :evil: :evil:

maybe they put the phone on the bed and accidentally pressed on it while executing tactical movement.........


That never even crossed my mind. :rotflmao: Have you accidentally listened in on one?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Next

Return to Recess Time