Should burning of incense papers be banned in HDB

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Should govt ban burning of incense papers in HDB?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:51 am

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes : 34

Should burning of incense papers be banned in HDB

Postby Big fish » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:51 am

I have an asthmatic child and everytime someone burns incense papers at downstair, I will have to rush to close all the windows. The smoke will linger in the air for so long before I can open the windows again. I am interested to know whether anyone of you are bothered by this problem.

Is the government scared to offend these people and dared not ban this practise?

People were fined for littering and doing corrective works, but why nothing is done to this act of inconsideration? It pollutes the air and look at the litters around............

( No racist comments and this post is created purely out of health concerns)

Big fish
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Should burning of incense papers be banned in HDB

Postby sall » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:09 pm

I don't think the govt is scared to offend the people. Rather, this is one of the Chinese religious practice. The problem arises because the people did not burn the incense in the bins provided, if they do so, the ash won't fly all over. But I notice there are also considerate people who will burn them in the bins provided.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:52 pm

hi

for your child's health sake, you should really consider letting your child wear a good surgical mask to block out the ash particles during this period, much like the Jap do during period when air is filled with pollens.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby 3Boys » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:52 pm

Although I do not observe the 7th Month, and the burning of joss paper does inconvenience my family with smoke and ash, I believe there is a need for 'common space' in terms of observance of faiths and beliefs, so I voted that we should not ban it. It is for a limited time every year after all.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Castle House » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:23 pm

Yup.. is religious purpose.. *no offence*.. and some others religious who needs to pray on certain days / timing..

Just bear with it.. for this month..

Castle House
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:24 pm

HDB shd allocate a space within a certain cluster of blocks for such offering and it shd be outside certain distance from the nearest unit.

For people who donch wanna use the common furnace provided for this purpose, they shd bring their personal furnace to the same spot and conduct their offering. After which they bring it home after they r done.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby puff » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:28 pm

The bin that the town council provided for burning incense paper is located too near the flats n windows of residents , hence will still have ash n smoke flying into ppl house. They should build those that is use in temple similar to a fireplace that will trap most of the ash to the base...

puff
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 3Boys » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:32 pm

puff wrote:The bin that the town council provided for burning incense paper is located too near the flats n windows of residents , hence will still have ash n smoke flying into ppl house. They should build those that is use in temple similar to a fireplace that will trap most of the ash to the base...

Yes, a good idea. Wonder how easy to implement though, worth a look.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:42 pm

i advocate religious tolerance, so do not support a ban. But there are inconsiderate people in every corner of the earth, incl in HDB estates.

i stay on the 3rd flr, with a field directly in front of the block. One guy in my block burns offerings every month or two, and he used to burn them at the void deck just next to the staircase!! You can imagine that the smoke will fill the staircase immediately after, not to mention my windows that are directly above.

(the area just in front of the block has recently been cordoned off for lift upgrading, and the contractor covered a large part of the cordoned-off area with those gunny sack materials after digging the soil there)

Just on Saturday past midnight, he burnt again, this time on a footpath just next to the cordoned-off area. I think he must have put the offerings in the grass patch just in front of the metal barricades when he burnt. 5 min after he started, the flame went under the metal barricades, and spread to the gunny sack coverings inside the cordoned-off area. For about 10 min, a area about 6 m by 10 m was alight... I closed my (frosted) windows when he started burning, and was wondering why was the smell still so obvious, and was shocked when I opened my windows to check... At that moment, I didn't realise immediately the flame was just due to the gunny sacks, and thought it was going to be an all-out fire...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Some town councils provide big wired mash cage for Chinese Funeral to burn incense papers & the paper house, car, etc.

I wonder why they don't set these up duing the 7th lunar month :?

tankee
Site Admin

Next

Return to Recess Time