Q for parking lot, has the rules changed?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Q for parking lot, has the rules changed?

Postby CookiesMonster » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:43 am

Last week Saturday morning, I was at the carpark above Bishan Bus Interchange.

I drove one round and I came across a man waiting in his car on the right side nearer to the car wash business. I decided to wait for a lot and to prevent any misunderstanding, I drove towards the other end and put on my hazzard light and waited on the left side.

Luckily for me, a man whose car was parked besides me got in. So, I moved up to allow him to exit.

Lo and below...the man who was waiting at the far end drove up and prevent me from reversing into the lot. He shouted at me and said that he waited for almost an hour for a lot and he deserved that lot. And that he is prepared to cause a stalemate.

I told him loudly "Sir, just because you waited for almost an hour doesn't mean that you are entitled to the lot as you were waiting at the other end whereas I was besides it". And asked him to be a gentleman and luckily, he came to his senses and move off.

I am sharing this incident not to get confirmation to affirm my actions but to clarify whether rules have changed for such situation.

I have been in that poor man's situation before and I consoled myself by saying "it all boils down to timing and luck".

CookiesMonster
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Q for parking lot, has the rules changed?

Postby Eddow » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Yes ... it's all timing and luck... unless you and him are waiting at the same side and car move out in between you both, then he'll get the lot, as he's there first.

But in this case, you both are waiting at diff. side.
If I'm you, I would reverse BACK and let him drove out. :boogie: This also prevent the driver at the back to move in .... :stompfeet:

Eddow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tankee » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Eddow wrote:...If I'm you, I would reverse BACK and let him drove out. :boogie: This also prevent the driver at the back to move in .... :stompfeet:

what if the car behind you moved forward and prevented you from moving back far enough for the car to get out?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Eddow » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:33 pm

tankee wrote:
Eddow wrote:...If I'm you, I would reverse BACK and let him drove out. :boogie: This also prevent the driver at the back to move in .... :stompfeet:

what if the car behind you moved forward and prevented you from moving back far enough for the car to get out?

I'm saying this only if the car beside me is moving out, then the most I need to move is half my car's length backward.
But if I see a moving out car from my rear mirror, then of course I cannot move that far to it. In this case, the waiting car on my right may also may noticed it by then.

If you are waiting on the left and infront of the car that is moving out, the driver will find it hard to turn left /out cos you're blocking it. And by moving too front(so that the car can move out), may afraid that some ppl might not see that you've been waiting there. :frustrated: Isn't the best solution is to move back, so he can move out easily. I think that's logic... Well, when it comes to driving, use our brain and be flexible at the situation.

Eddow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ohdaddy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:16 pm

The practice is flexible, but since your competition is at the other end and you are nearer, I think most would agree that your are more eligble for that lot. It is all luck and being at the right place at the right time.

ohdaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MadScientist » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:46 am

Solution:

Get an in-car camera...

in situations like these, you can prove that he was far far away and any dispute can be resolved at the police station with the video. ;)

New kind of insurance... for yourself.

Cheers!

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 am

Usually the person who's closer to the vacant lot should get it. You can't lay claim to an entire row of parking just because you've been waiting longest. It's just your luck if you were waiting at the wrong end of the row.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:26 am

MadScientist wrote:Solution:

Get an in-car camera...

in situations like these, you can prove that he was far far away and any dispute can be resolved at the police station with the video. ;)

New kind of insurance... for yourself.

Cheers!

no use one lah!

if the driver is out to make life difficult, it doesn't matter what u have.

bringing such dispute to police will be a waste of everyone's time.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:46 am

Eddow wrote:
tankee wrote:

I'm saying this only if the car beside me is moving out, then the most I need to move is half my car's length backward.
But if I see a moving out car from my rear mirror, then of course I cannot move that far to it. In this case, the waiting car on my right may also may noticed it by then.

If you are waiting on the left and infront of the car that is moving out, the driver will find it hard to turn left /out cos you're blocking it. And by moving too front(so that the car can move out), may afraid that some ppl might not see that you've been waiting there. :frustrated: Isn't the best solution is to move back, so he can move out easily. I think that's logic... Well, when it comes to driving, use our brain and be flexible at the situation.

well it happened to me.

the car coming out was blocked by the front half of my car, but before I could reverse, the car behind move up right behind the rear of my car preventing me from reversing. I have no choice but move forward, and the car behind took the lot.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Intermezzo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:48 am

?! This guy waited almost one hour for a carpark lot.. faint..

i presume he also kept his engine on so he can "chiong" for a lot once it becomes available? Frankly i can't stand such drivers.. causing noise and air pollution with their car engines.

Bishan carpark is nearly always crowded. When i go there i just go straight up to the rooftop and most of the time there would be some empty lots. Can't understand why there are people who would rather waste their own time sitting in the car for almost an hour, and also too lazy to walk just a flight of stairs more.

Intermezzo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time