Foreign Workers

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Foreign Workers

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:56 pm

hquek wrote:The distinction usually is drawn during registration. I mean, in work, and with friends, We usually don't go up to a person and ask - PR or citizen or foreigner...that's quite odd. In school, Sg/PR/foreigners, all are the same. it's the mode of going in I guess. I had classmates who were living in JB and commuting everyday. The only thought I remember was, "poor thing, got to wake up so early each day and spend so much time commuting".

But on a broader basis, will I be unhappy (not upset, but maybe a bit buey song) if PRs &/or foreigners enjoy the same privileges as citizens without the same responsibilities. Already I do hear of employers who prefer not to hire SG men becos they have NS liabilities which others don't have - and I'm not talking about small companies.

Sorry if I digress.

the problem lies with the employer and MOM should take action
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Opinions of the Primary School Registration System

Postby hquek » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:50 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:the problem lies with the employer and MOM should take action

Agree, but this is very hard to prove. Already those cases reported in papers about preggies suddenly getting lousy work reviews, I don't know who's right/wrong.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:42 pm

hquek wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:the problem lies with the employer and MOM should take action

Agree, but this is very hard to prove. Already those cases reported in papers about preggies suddenly getting lousy work reviews, I don't know who's right/wrong.

my real life experience : got a SG citizen for the post of FC - he was very scheming, late for work, make false claims on expenses etc etc.....fed up - got a PR in at half the price, very hard working & trust worthy - he got promoted to my position after my promotion
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby markfch » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:30 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:my real life experience : got a SG citizen for the post of FC - he was very scheming, late for work, make false claims on expenses etc etc.....fed up - got a PR in at half the price, very hard working & trust worthy - he got promoted to my position after my promotion

You are a brave man, vk2010; to say things that others don't like to hear.

So now you're promoted to CFO, COO, CIO or CEO?
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kissgurami » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:25 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:my real life experience : got a SG citizen for the post of FC - he was very scheming, late for work, make false claims on expenses etc etc.....fed up - got a PR in at half the price, very hard working & trust worthy - he got promoted to my position after my promotion

speaking of this, the Singapore flag car side mirror cover was actually thought of by a Singapore PR... and people are snapping it up

Kissgurami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Kissgurami wrote:
speaking of this, the Singapore flag car side mirror cover was actually thought of by a Singapore PR... and people are snapping it up

:lol: i like it too.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kissgurami » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:43 pm

LOLMum wrote:
Kissgurami wrote:

:lol: i like it too.

me too :smile:

Kissgurami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:32 pm

markfch wrote:

the truth is grim
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:30 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:
markfch wrote:

the truth is grim

The "truth"? based on one isolated example?

I also want to add another truth.. Many SG male citizens below 40yo ALWAYs absent from work/office for ~2 week every year! And it is not due to Annual leave. Very bad for business right? So, let's get PRs/FT so that biz can run with minimum disruptions..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:42 am

limlim wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:the truth is grim

The "truth"? based on one isolated example?

I also want to add another truth.. Many SG male citizens below 40yo ALWAYs absent from work/office for ~2 week every year! And it is not due to Annual leave. Very bad for business right? So, let's get PRs/FT so that biz can run with minimum disruptions..

I have no problem with employees having to do reservist, it is part and parcel of business. Dishonesty in work / conduct is something cannot be tolerated. One isolated case ? $4k per month finance assistant position (below manager rank) in Jurong, 5 day week, no OT, factory transport aircon coach provided : singaporean prefers to work in town. Malaysian need only S$2k to take the job. I once ran a finance dept of 100 staff, global group employment 15,000, these are the problems we face in Jurong. For every position we advertise, 10 are from citizens, 500 are from non-citizens

this is :offtopic: :offtopic: but the fact is that many citizens would deny that they are picky about jobs and locations :siam: :duck: :duck:
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time