LEARNConcierge

Mobile phones for kids

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Postby jedamum » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:22 pm

only when he needs to stay back in school for extra curriculum and we need to contact each other on when to pick him up. Preferably is that he needs to know how to sms.

I have been saving up my mobile plan to 'pass it on' to him. My mobile plan costs only $3.50/mth - the catch is that there is only 30min free offpeak call time but has up to 700 free smses. So that will probably restrict him from talking too much to his friends cos he need to bear the $0.20 per block minute talktime and there are no free incoming talktime at all. :D

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 8817
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Total Likes: 27


Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:00 pm

jedamum wrote:only when he needs to stay back in school for extra curriculum and we need to contact each other on when to pick him up. Preferably is that he needs to know how to sms.

I have been saving up my mobile plan to 'pass it on' to him. My mobile plan costs only $3.50/mth - the catch is that there is only 30min free offpeak call time but has up to 700 free smses. So that will probably restrict him from talking too much to his friends cos he need to bear the $0.20 per block minute talktime and there are no free incoming talktime at all. :D


Wah... where you get the kang tao for $3.50/mth? Never hear before leh. Even 30 free mins also shiok. Currently I get the SingTel prepaid card for him, but the trouble is must remember to top up every 6 months otherwise they terminate the number... lagi very lay cheh.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15425
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 328


Postby jedamum » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:50 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Wah... where you get the kang tao for $3.50/mth? Never hear before leh. Even 30 free mins also shiok. Currently I get the SingTel prepaid card for him, but the trouble is must remember to top up every 6 months otherwise they terminate the number... lagi very lay cheh.

:lol:
The plan is almost 10 years old (aka already 'extinct') - my very first mobile plan. Keep getting some percent off the subscription in the form of loyality rewards, the latest being $4 off cos i choose not to upgrade.
Get your kid to do the topping up. They sure will not forget.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 8817
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Total Likes: 27


Postby super_dad » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:18 pm

From the looks of things...I think most likely by next year...my girl would be asking for a handphone. Looks like by this age, having a phone is a must.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby super_dad » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:36 am

Say....if you want to get a mobile phone...what would be a suitable one for kids? (in terms of ease of use, durability, low running cost...)

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:24 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby jedamum » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:17 am

super_dad wrote:Say....if you want to get a mobile phone...what would be a suitable one for kids? (in terms of ease of use, durability, low running cost...)

for mobile phone, i will get something basic...no fanciful design, no mms or extra features. heard that nokia is the most hardy among the ranges of handphone models, dunno how true.
for mobile plan, i will get the cheapest one....if there are options of either having more sms or having free incoming, i will go for free sms. didn't want free incoming so as to discourage dss from asking his friends to call him and he talk whole day without having to pay a single cent.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 8817
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Total Likes: 27


Postby phantom » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:19 am

super_dad wrote:Say....if you want to get a mobile phone...what would be a suitable one for kids? (in terms of ease of use, durability, low running cost...)

I think one of the more important thing to take note is the SAR value of the phone. It is important not to damage the delicate brain of the kid , especially when they used it very regularly once they have a phone in hand.

phantom
Site Admin
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:48 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:24 pm

phantom wrote:I think one of the more important thing to take note is the SAR value of the phone. It is important not to damage the delicate brain of the kid , especially when they used it very regularly once they have a phone in hand.


Quite true. Lots of people think that little thing don't have that much power to do damage. But they forget the phone is also a transmitter that is able to transmit radio waves far enough to reach the base station which could be up to 500m away! The strange thing is the same people do not want to use wireless routers at home because of "radiation"... not realizing that the power emitted by the wireless router much lesser than that emitted by the mobile phone and has problems even going through walls.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15425
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 328


Postby phantom » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:35 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
phantom wrote:I think one of the more important thing to take note is the SAR value of the phone. It is important not to damage the delicate brain of the kid , especially when they used it very regularly once they have a phone in hand.


Quite true. Lots of people think that little thing don't have that much power to do damage. But they forget the phone is also a transmitter that is able to transmit radio waves far enough to reach the base station which could be up to 500m away! The strange thing is the same people do not want to use wireless routers at home because of "radiation"... not realizing that the power emitted by the wireless router much lesser than that emitted by the mobile phone and has problems even going through walls.

True, I tried the mobile phone to use minimally. When I used it too long, my head gets heated up, and sometime got headache.

When my wife was pregnant, she would forbid me from getting near her when I am holding a mobile phone.

phantom
Site Admin
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:48 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby jedamum » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:38 pm


jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 8817
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Total Likes: 27


PreviousNext

Return to Recess Time

LEARNConcierge