Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mobile phones for kids

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Postby super_dad » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:46 pm

Hmm...this singtel deal, looks interesting. :?

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby mstan » Thu May 29, 2008 3:59 pm

Sorry to Nokia fans, but I've heard too many cases that Nokia phones no longer that good. It spoilts easily.. hangs easily, etc...

Maybe can consider Sony Ecrission or other cheaper brand for kids to use bah..

I hope my daughter can get to use the mobile next year but she dono how to use a phone yet. :roll:

mstan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby phantom » Sat May 31, 2008 11:34 am

mstan wrote:Sorry to Nokia fans, but I've heard too many cases that Nokia phones no longer that good. It spoilts easily.. hangs easily, etc...

Maybe can consider Sony Ecrission or other cheaper brand for kids to use bah..

I hope my daughter can get to use the mobile next year but she dono how to use a phone yet. :roll:

I think giving the kid our second hand phone is good enough. No need to get new one, I heard stories where phones get stolen in schools and kids purposely lose their phone to get new one.

phantom
Site Admin
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:48 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby BlueBells » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:59 am

I don't see the need for a mobile phone for Primary school kid - there are public phone available in school, and tehy can also ask to use the phone from the general office if need be. For me, that would mean absolutley no mobile phones until at least 12 years old. We will evaluate after that.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:00 pm
Total Likes: 18


Postby heutistmeintag » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:28 am

I guess there are a number of factors that can affect this decision e.g. need to travel on own, late classes, affordability of plans and phones etc

Personally, I gave my kids hp when they were at P5/P6 to prepare them for secondary schools. I heard that they will have frequent CCAs, supplementary classes etc - irregular timings to return home when they go into secondary school. Most importantly, they will be travelling on their own and I feel more comfortable if they can call me or my wife when they are lost, need to come home late or any other emergencies.

They are on phone cards and I "upgraded" my son to a plan only recently because I foresee his usage to increase. Phone-wise, I do not spend more than $100 regardless of brand and model. So, I have a fixed cost per month and also the potential risk $ if the phone is lost. :)

BTW one consideration for phone card vs mobile plan is that phone card cannot be used overseas. If you kid needs to go for school trip oversea, then it's a little more troublesome to work around this constraint.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:30 am
Total Likes: 0



Anyone provides handphone to your primary school kids?

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:22 pm

[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

1. How do you manage that? Any rules set?
2. Do you give them a contract plan phone or just the hi card?
3. What is an appropriate age to give?
4. If you give, what are your reasons?
5. Which phone models do you give?
6. Do they bring to school or only for weekend use?

Thank you for sharing.
Guest
 

Re: Anyone provides handphone to your primary school kids?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:35 pm

ks2me wrote:1. How do you manage that? Any rules set?
2. Do you give them a contract plan phone or just the hi card?
3. What is an appropriate age to give?
4. If you give, what are your reasons?
5. Which phone models do you give?
6. Do they bring to school or only for weekend use?

Thank you for sharing.


1. No rules... so far trust is not abused.
2. Prepaid card
3. I gave my son my old phone when he learnt how to SMS in K2.
4. Primarily used outside for us to keep track of him.
5. Hand-in-downs
7. Only outside of school

But don't forget the warnings that doctors give about letting your children use mobiles too much ... we don't know what the long term effects are on such young brains.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15526
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 329


Postby sashimi » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:36 am

The most recent report I read suggested that the allegedly dangerous radiation produced by handphones is relatively MORE dangerous to children because their brains are still growing. It's less of a danger to adults whose brains have already reached maturity.

For this reason, although I had previously agreed to let my daughter have a phone at P1, I recently told her that it it will be delayed.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:21 am
Total Likes: 1


Re: Anyone provides handphone to your primary school kids?

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:41 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
ks2me wrote:1. How do you manage that? Any rules set?
2. Do you give them a contract plan phone or just the hi card?
3. What is an appropriate age to give?
4. If you give, what are your reasons?
5. Which phone models do you give?
6. Do they bring to school or only for weekend use?

Thank you for sharing.


1. No rules... so far trust is not abused.
2. Prepaid card
3. I gave my son my old phone when he learnt how to SMS in K2.
4. Primarily used outside for us to keep track of him.
5. Hand-in-downs
7. Only outside of school

But don't forget the warnings that doctors give about letting your children use mobiles too much ... we don't know what the long term effects are on such young brains.


Thanks for your response. In that case, is there a gadget for sending sms only?
Guest
 

Postby tanzyjac » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:38 am

:oops: Just read this thread.... hope I can still share...

I gave my 6yo daughter a new handphone with very basic features such as camera, mp3 (cost $1xx without contract) few months ago. She is only allowed to bring the phone out when we go shopping. This is to allow her to stay in-touch with me if we lost each other. She is also allowed to sms me or my husband only. And so far she managed to send me short texts like "mommy I love u" and "mommy, are you coming back soon"... ;-) It is always very heart warming to receive sm from her..

tanzyjac
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:32 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to Recess Time

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres