Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mobile phones for kids

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Post-paid plan or pre-paid card for kid?

Postby yjj » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Hihi

DD is starting to go for additional scheduled classes outside school and one-time holiday classes in various locations.

Am thinking of letting her carry a mobile phone at those times just in case missed/ late pick up, change location etc. Especially 4hour or full day program where it is impractical for a parent to be nearby the whole time.

Do you have the same concerns? What do you do?
Any comments on whether post-paid subscription plan or pre-paid card is more suitable?

Thanks for any input!

yjj
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:33 pm

hi,
please discuss kids mobile here.
TQ.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby shurley197323 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:46 am

My girl (Pri 2) is having a Starhub Plan at around $20.00 per mth but she hardly use more than 100 mins per mth ( so I think it a waste but I have to finish the contract first) My boy ( K2) is having a Singtel Prepaid card with $ 18.00 value and the $18.00 is not used up yet for 3 mths, although it quite expensive per call, but my main purpose of them having handphone is to call me when emergency not call their friends to chit chat. So to me, prepaid card is more worthwhile.
And they are having our old handphone when we upgraded to new one so it is not wasteful. THe most ironically is that I as their mother :oops: had lost 2 handphone before and their still safe and sound !!

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Post-paid plan or pre-paid card for kid?

Postby mathsparks » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:25 pm

yjj wrote:Do you have the same concerns? What do you do?
Any comments on whether post-paid subscription plan or pre-paid card is more suitable?

Thanks for any input!

Mine has a prepaid phone since p4 due to his erratic school schedule..to arrange pickup time..after meetings (project..prefects..workgroups etc)..after suppl/enrichment classes (sometimes tchers don turn up and kids are not informed..sometimes they're informed last minute)..and the long queue at the coin phone in school..after school excursions etc. Highly justified. But my girl only got hers in Sec1 since she was taking a school bus in pri school.

just prepaid is enuf. he doesnt use it to call his frens..a basic lg phone which we exchanged using points from caltex..plus he must carry a permission slip with him at all times.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Post-paid plan or pre-paid card for kid?

Postby yjj » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:04 pm

shurley197323 wrote:...
My boy ( K2) is having a Singtel Prepaid card with $ 18.00 value and the $18.00 is not used up yet for 3 mths, although it quite expensive per call, but my main purpose of them having handphone is to call me when emergency not call their friends to chit chat. So to me, prepaid card is more worthwhile.

mathsparks wrote:...
just prepaid is enuf. he doesnt use it to call his frens..

Thanks for the replies. I was weighing between call plan (fixed $$ per month) vs prepaid card (high per call rates). But you are right that since the phone is for emergency use and not for chitchat, the prepaid card is better value in the long run.

I have a el cheapo LG phone that came free with a renewal contract, small and simple. Should be good enough. :)

yjj
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby westmom » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:18 pm

I was told that in secondary school, kids do secretly use the hp to sms each other during lessons and clever enough not to be caught. For parents with sec kids, how do you manage or monitor this? Obviously we want our kids to be concentrating on lessons. Do you "warn" your kids that if ever you find out you will confiscate the phone? I guess is also peer pressure because a teen does not want to be seen as "scared".

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby daisyt » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:01 pm

westmom wrote:I was told that in secondary school, kids do secretly use the hp to sms each other during lessons and clever enough not to be caught. For parents with sec kids, how do you manage or monitor this? Obviously we want our kids to be concentrating on lessons. Do you "warn" your kids that if ever you find out you will confiscate the phone? I guess is also peer pressure because a teen does not want to be seen as "scared".

hi westmom, yes this happens. I warn her, it might get confiscated and we parents would be called to the general office. Daddy is going to blow up if this happens.

The problem is her school allows them to use hp in school, at desinated area and time but kids just go overbroad because they are just kids. I also told her, one day the school would stop this privilage, because you kids spoilt it and by then, do not blame the school.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlueBells » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:18 am

I am not in favour of my kids bringing mobile phone to school, and they are equipped with a phone card for use on public phone. If the card expires or runs out of value, they can always approach the general office.

However, we have been training our kids to take the MRT to meet us at various locations during the school holidays. So on days that they are to take the train and meet us somewhere, they are equipped with a phone with a Hi card. Has been really useful, since my kids are 9 and 7.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby westmom » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:19 pm

daisyt wrote:hi westmom, yes this happens. I warn her, it might get confiscated and we parents would be called to the general office. Daddy is going to blow up if this happens.

The problem is her school allows them to use hp in school, at desinated area and time but kids just go overbroad because they are just kids. I also told her, one day the school would stop this privilage, because you kids spoilt it and by then, do not blame the school.

Daisyt- I read somewhere before that there is "hp software" either to track usage or the location of hp. Can't remember exactly. Is there such thing? I know we should try to trust our kids but most of them they can outsmart us ! I hear of one "kwai kwai" gal who because of peer pressure started to lie to parents though she is the sort that is "well brought up". Peer pressure can beat whatever good parental guidance we have been instilling in our kids!

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby yjj » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:14 am

Have just purchased a hi-card but it can only receive calls on Samsung SGH-J750 but cannot make calls out locally (didnt try sms or international yet), with error message of "Service not allowed".

Still doesnt work after changing network setting to GSM 900/ 1800 from automatic.

We had to activate the card via Treo 650. We can make and receive calls with the hi-card sim on Treo, so it is not an activation or card problem or low value.

Is it because hi-card cannot work on 3G phones?

Hi-card customer service only available from 8am to 8pm... :x

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance.

yjj
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Recess Time

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres