Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mobile phones for kids

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Postby buds » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:54 pm

Duncha' worry your little mind over it..
Chief wud have it moved in no time. :D

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cafelatte » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:07 pm

Bumping up this thread.

1) Anyone found the software that allow parents to view SMS messages/call log ?
2) Seems like pre-paid card is the best option for the kid's handphone. Sorry to ask but I can't find answer on the Singtel website, how does pre-paid cards work and do I need to go Hello shop to get one ?

cafelatte
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby xxjustakidxx » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:25 pm

jedamum wrote:only when he needs to stay back in school for extra curriculum and we need to contact each other on when to pick him up. Preferably is that he needs to know how to sms.

I have been saving up my mobile plan to 'pass it on' to him. My mobile plan costs only $3.50/mth - the catch is that there is only 30min free offpeak call time but has up to 700 free smses. So that will probably restrict him from talking too much to his friends cos he need to bear the $0.20 per block minute talktime and there are no free incoming talktime at all. :D

WHOA, 700 free smses?
What's that plan?

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby xxjustakidxx » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:28 pm

mstan wrote:Sorry to Nokia fans, but I've heard too many cases that Nokia phones no longer that good. It spoilts easily.. hangs easily, etc...

Maybe can consider Sony Ecrission or other cheaper brand for kids to use bah..

I hope my daughter can get to use the mobile next year but she dono how to use a phone yet. :roll:

True, ever since that incident where I reached 1000 messages and the whole phone just shuts down, I cannot delete my messages anymore, and I even have problems viewing old messages.
And also, if you keep your messages, your phone will take ages to load. (mine takes about 5 min, averagely)
PS: I'm 12.

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mathsparks » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:04 pm

cafelatte wrote:Bumping up this thread.

2) Seems like pre-paid card is the best option for the kid's handphone. Sorry to ask but I can't find answer on the Singtel website, how does pre-paid cards work and do I need to go Hello shop to get one ?

if you signup for singtel online mybill, details (date/time/duration/mobile no.) of in/out calls and outgoing messages are displayed. don need any software...paperless billing too!

yes, prepaid cards can be bought at hello shop, and top up at atms. useful if your child only makes few calls to arrange transport, for eg. usually for pri school kids, parents would go for prepaid cards.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:31 pm

xxjustakidxx wrote:
jedamum wrote:only when he needs to stay back in school for extra curriculum and we need to contact each other on when to pick him up. Preferably is that he needs to know how to sms.

I have been saving up my mobile plan to 'pass it on' to him. My mobile plan costs only $3.50/mth - the catch is that there is only 30min free offpeak call time but has up to 700 free smses. So that will probably restrict him from talking too much to his friends cos he need to bear the $0.20 per block minute talktime and there are no free incoming talktime at all. :D

WHOA, 700 free smses?
What's that plan?

used to be Singtel Podlite. extinct already. plan used to cost $9.90, but i got discount for loyalty, so basic subscription now is $3.50/mth without caller id.good for heavy sms user like me - that was during schooling time. i don't usually call people, but cos now my mum always call me, the cost per min block still incurred up to $20plus per month. :wink:
..refuse to upgrade....leaving it for my kid. :D

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Anyone provides handphone to your primary school kids?

Postby kiasimom » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:46 am

ks2me wrote:[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

1. How do you manage that? Any rules set?
I only give DS the mobile phone when he has to leave the house for Kumon.
The rule is he can only sms and call me.

2. Do you give them a contract plan phone or just the hi card?
Mine is a contract plan.

3. What is an appropriate age to give?
I guess it depends on the maturity of the child. My DS starts to use the mobile only this year. DS is 9yo.
4. If you give, what are your reasons?
For me to call him so that I will know if he is safe.5. Which phone models do you give?
DS is using Nokia.6. Do they bring to school or only for weekend use?
DS is not allowed to bring his mobile to school.

Thank you for sharing.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasimom » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:47 am

cafelatte wrote:Bumping up this thread.

You can buy pre-paid card from authorised dealer or 7-eleven, Cheers. You need your IC to activate the line. You pay for the card depending on the value of the card. Once the value is running low, you can top up at 7-eleven or Cheers.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby yjj » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Dont forget that the prepaid cards have an expiry date, usually 3 months. i.e. you will need to top every 3 months to maintain the line EVEN if there is still value in the line, otherwise the telco will deem the line not in use, recycle the number and forfeit any unused value in the line.

As such, I've gone with the telco with the cheapest top up card value since most other costs are able the same.

yjj
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby davidbrett » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:06 pm

I am not in favor of the parents who give their kids mobile phones. Because mobile phone use may wreak on young children’s mental and physical health. Survey has already proved that. It may also affect their studies and lead them in a wrong way. So, as their well-wishers the parents must have to judge how far it would be necessary to give the kids mobile phones.

davidbrett
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to Recess Time

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres