Mobile phones for kids

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Shall we buy Mobile Phones for our kids? Wat Model is SAFE?

Postby Donkey Kong » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Kids these days ask for everything. My kid is begging me to buy him an Apple iPhone. He said iPhone has many APPs. Wow, primary sch students also know what is 'Apps' ! :shock:

Mobile Phones have radiation. It is labelled as SAR values like 0.5W/kg in the instruction manual. Actually, the law requires manufacturers to label this at the BOX. No company dares to do it... :cry:

If I use my HP for > 5 mins, I will have tension headache. Ear gets heated up. Face red red. :x Dizzy, nausea. Do you have the same experience?

Now, kid asking for one. I need to track his movement too. Do schools allow mobile phones? Which model you normally buy for kids?
:?

Donkey Kong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Shall we buy Mobile Phones for our kids? Wat Model is SA

Postby jedamum » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:42 pm

Donkey Kong wrote:Kids these days ask for everything. My kid is begging me to buy him an Apple iPhone. He said iPhone has many APPs. Wow, primary sch students also know what is 'Apps' ! :shock:

Mobile Phones have radiation. It is labelled as SAR values like 0.5W/kg in the instruction manual. Actually, the law requires manufacturers to label this at the BOX. No company dares to do it... :cry:

If I use my HP for > 5 mins, I will have tension headache. Ear gets heated up. Face red red. :x Dizzy, nausea. Do you have the same experience?

Now, kid asking for one. I need to track his movement too. Do schools allow mobile phones? Which model you normally buy for kids?
:?

mods, pls merge.
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 25&start=0
if you deemed that your kid is not behaving well at home, i don't think you should be getting him a handphone at this stage just cos of his 'begging'. jmho.
hp for kids (pri at least) should be mainly for communications. ds1 is using old model that only has 20 sms storage memory, has sms characters word limit per sms and no mms or camera. he only gets to play his dad's iphone APP when the dad offers.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Shall we buy Mobile Phones for our kids? Wat Model is SA

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:22 pm

jedamum wrote:if you deemed that your kid is not behaving well at home, i don't think you should be getting him a handphone at this stage just cos of his 'begging'. jmho.
hp for kids (pri at least) should be mainly for communications. ds1 is using old model that only has 20 sms storage memory, has sms characters word limit per sms and no mms or camera. he only gets to play his dad's iphone APP when the dad offers.

Agree, a child has to prove herself/himself to be able to handle one with discipline. Even though mine got one at 6YO, but she uses it for communication mainly, plays games only while waiting with nothing to do.

It is an old second-hand one daddy handed down to her, no frills phone because mainly to keep her contactable.

School will need to register the phone and where they can use the phone in school is very limited too, mainly canteen only.

Postby schellen » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:56 pm

DD1 got a new phone but it is a very simple one. She only uses it to take pictures of her baby sister, play games and send SMS to her friends and family. She keeps it at home when she goes to school and only brings it out when we go out or when she is staying with my PILs. We have taught her to never access the internet with it, delete spam SMS and cancel calls from unfamiliar numbers. As for the iPhone, she only gets to play with it if Daddy allows it.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby thebusybee » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:53 pm

DS hooked on mobile phone ever since dh passed his omnia to watch YouTube video clips of songs.

After we switched to iPhone, he's been hijacking it whenever he sees it. He knows how to play games, watch videos and take pictures, just by watching us tapping and stroking the screen!

I won't be surprise that he'll ask for a phone soon, though he can now only make calls accidentally.

And he's not even 3 yet!

Next time u see a tot holding a iPhone on bus or train, that could be him.

Cofession: times when we need to talk or watch movies undusturbed, we'll chuck the phone to ds to have peace.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :wink:

we now hide our phones when get home, bluff him that we left the phones at work place or in the vehicle, coz the first thing he sees us is ' I want to play another game'.

Any parents with "iPhone addicted" kids? Can share how to control the urge for them to play with it? ( I know it's already hard for adults to stop fondling with it for start) :)

thebusybee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mathsparks » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Be careful with kids using iphones for long periods of time, the small screen strains the eyes...I feel the effect too; if I surf too long on it, my lao hua will surface and text will become fuzzy.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby auntieM » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm lucky so far my 7 year old not that keen on his hp .. ...just yet.
He carries hp to school and only uses it to call DH or me occasionally, other times it is left in the schoolbag.
He plays games on ipod only during yakky adult meal times outside.
Hope it stays this way. :wink:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Donkey Kong » Wed May 05, 2010 2:54 pm

super_dad wrote:Say....if you want to get a mobile phone...what would be a suitable one for kids? (in terms of ease of use, durability, low running cost...)

Get one with the lowest radiation. SAR level.....
Most parents don't want damage their kids'brains, right? :celebrate:

Donkey Kong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Previous

Return to Recess Time