School Bus Seating Arrangement

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

School Bus Seating Arrangement

Postby alyplwwf » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:34 am

Hi everybody,

My girl is in P1 this year and is taking school bus both ways. When she goes to school , she board a huge bus but when she returns from school, she is make to squeeze with other children, i.e. 3 children sharing 2 seats, in a 21 seaters bus (I think is 21 seaters). Total number of children is 28.

Those who are bigger in size or just join the school bus as newbies get to sit on the single seat but those who are smaller built have to squeeze like sardine. Just imagine, with their heavy school bags occupying half of the seats, where are they suppose to sit ? I feel this very unfair to other children as everybody in the same area / estate pays the same price.

My questions are as follows :-

1) Is 3 children sharing 2 seats in a school bus lawful ? Can I bring this matter up to the LTA or the school ?

2) If so many children are make to squeeze together in all the 2 seats row, isn't it very dangerous should there be an accident ? Those sitting outside will definitely fall on the aisle and properly hit their head against the other seat.

3) When other children alighted, my girl sometimes will take the single seat so that she can sit comfortably but the auntie (bus attendant) disallow her to do that and insist that she squeeze at her own seat. Isn't this ridiculous ?

Anyone has such experience to share ?

alyplwwf
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: School Bus Seating Arrangement

Postby super_dad » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:31 pm

alyplwwf wrote:Hi everybody,

My girl is in P1 this year and is taking school bus both ways. When she goes to school , she board a huge bus but when she returns from school, she is make to squeeze with other children, i.e. 3 children sharing 2 seats, in a 21 seaters bus (I think is 21 seaters). Total number of children is 28.

Those who are bigger in size or just join the school bus as newbies get to sit on the single seat but those who are smaller built have to squeeze like sardine. Just imagine, with their heavy school bags occupying half of the seats, where are they suppose to sit ? I feel this very unfair to other children as everybody in the same area / estate pays the same price.

1) Is 3 children sharing 2 seats in a school bus lawful ? Can I bring this matter up to the LTA or the school ?

2) If so many children are make to squeeze together in all the 2 seats row, isn't it very dangerous should there be an accident ? Those sitting outside will definitely fall on the aisle and properly hit their head against the other seat.

3) When other children alighted, my girl sometimes will take the single seat so that she can sit comfortably but the auntie (bus attendant) disallow her to do that and insist that she squeeze at her own seat. Isn't this ridiculous ?

Yeah, I think there is a regulation on the seating capacity. If it is overloaded, definitely should have a word with the operator. But maybe the seating is extended for children, they being smaller in size. I am not sure.

there is a related article here
http://forums.vr-zone.com/world-news-si ... nside.html

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KS_me » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:05 pm

My P1 son also take bus both ways to and from school. I am also having headache due to the sittings. Fortunately he is on a mini bus rather than the huge bus that I saw on the road but I ain't happy too because the boys tend to tease each other on the bus and they start to play on the bus!

When I first registered him, there's an auntie following them to and flow the school but after the 1st week I see only Driver. Obviously the driver needs to concentrate on the road and no one is there to "watch" after the kids. It's really dangerous if the bus driver brakes in sudden!

I tried to speak to the school bus company but I was told this is the normal practise. As a parent we should constantly remind our child to sit still.... :stupid:

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby alyplwwf » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:03 am

Thanks super_dad for the thread.

Since LTA's regulations allow 3 children to share a double seats meant for 2 adults, I guess I have no say in this matter. No wander all the parents of those affected children though not happy but dare not to voice up. Everybody is waiting for one another to raise the matter as we are all afraid that our child may be blacklisted. :cry:

alyplwwf
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby san76 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:43 am

Each child is allocate or they can choose their own seat. Double seat=2children.

Tell your kid dont play or never leave the seat.

You can speak to the auntie when you see your girl. Any unhappiness or doubts clear with the auntie and driver

My son is taking sch bus, he is not asked to share a double seat with 3 children. Each child is needed to be belt. The driver or auntie doesnt allow kids to put/ carry school bag with them when they are seated. they have to put their sch bag on the floor infront of the leg not even on the aisle.

san76
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby alyplwwf » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:53 am

Thanks everybody for sharing. My girl's mini sch bus doesn't have seat belts.

alyplwwf
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby buds » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:29 am

Those who are bigger in size or just join the school bus as newbies get to sit on the single seat but those who are smaller built have to squeeze like sardine. Just imagine, with their heavy school bags occupying half of the seats, where are they suppose to sit ? I feel this very unfair to other children as everybody in the same area / estate pays the same price.?

1) Is 3 children sharing 2 seats in a school bus lawful ? Can I bring this matter up to the LTA or the school ??

Like super_dad said, in many instances... smaller children may be able
to occupy the 2-seats meant for the regular adult. No harm checking
physically with LTA, at least you will feel better after hearing right from
the horse's mouth on the laws for school bus seating arrangement.

2) If so many children are make to squeeze together in all the 2 seats row, isn't it very dangerous should there be an accident ? Those sitting outside will definitely fall on the aisle and properly hit their head against the other seat.?

In the presence of a bus assistant this should be okay. Bags all on the
floor. Dangerous yes definitely, especially if driver is speeding. But
based on normal speed limit within estate drop offs, it should be quite
safe.. :pray:

Your girl so clever! Mine might be too timid to move.
Especially with screaming bus auntie! ie. we know this
from experience... some can be real fierce!

Seating arrangement is sometimes determined by auntie,
cause of the drop off routines. Meaning child to be dropped
off first sits in front or mebbe child to be picked up first fills
up the back seats, so the next pick ups can quickly fill up the
front seats accordingly without much hassle and long standing
time.Buses go from one place to another very quickly, hence
quick seating arrangement according to the routes taken are
more convenient for the bus auntie/assistant.

It is also a way for her to recognise the kids, especially first days
or months of school where she is still struggling to remember their
names. She can just remember - oooh this face, sit here, stay this
block... next to her, this face stay same block... etc..

Yes, we should drill into our kids that they are to remain seated at
ALL TIMES! No exceptions.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time