Businesses that employ the disabled or underpriviledged?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Businesses that employ the disabled or underpriviledged?

Postby cnimed » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:55 am

I know there are some businesses that employ the disabled or underpriviledged sector but I can't remember what they are called. I am looking for one that can do packing and labelling - would anyone have any idea? If you know of other such businesses with other services, please list them here as well.

Thank you!
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Businesses that employ the disabled or underpriviledged?

Postby Intermezzo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:13 am

Hi Deminc, are you thinking of something like MINDS?
Here's their website : http://www.minds.org.sg/index.html

( MINDS Social Enterprise was started in 2000 to create employment opportunities for the people with intellectual disability. It has proven to be a viable alternative of creating employment for these individuals, resulting in the formalising of some in-house industries and transforming them into platforms of sustainable employment for many people with intellectual disability. )

To go to what you are looking for, try the heading [Social Enterprise] --> [Minds Contract]

I've copied down some info from the website so you can gauge if it's what you're searching for:

MINDS CONTRACT

At MINDS Contract, our core service is to link you up to our unique labour and production space.

With a team of dedicated and experienced training officers, our clients are skilled to perform effective and efficient production work.

How do we do it?

The job is first analysed by our training officers and occupational therapists, to assess if it is suitable for our clients to work on. Next, the work process is broken down into individualized tasks, in order for our clients to perform them in a specialized manner. This helps to increase our overall efficiency as a team as each client becomes highly productive and skilled for the particular task. It also allows us to build up a client’s capability in a progressive manner.

What we can offer.

Quality Control:- Our training officers will be on hand to check the work of the clients to ensure that quality standards are met. We are also proud to say that our clients do not cut corners at their work as they are extremely motivated and conscientious individuals.

Productivity:- Where we lack in speed, we make up in numbers. Through teamwork and a dedicated workforce, our overall productivity is kept high thus enabling us to meet tight deadlines as does any other able-bodied run factory line.

What we can do.

We have a strong advantage in manual production work such as packing, cleaning, assembly, labeling and sorting. Our satisfied customers include Singapore Airlines (SIA), Singapore Airport Terminal Services (SATS), Cisco, Home-Fix, Sin Lee Stationery, Resorts World Sentosa, and many more.

If you would like to engage our services or would like to discuss how we can collaborate together, please contact our Social Enterprise Team:

Ms Ng Rei Na, Senior Manager (ngreina.hq@minds.org.sg), 6479 5655 ext 230

Mr Leroy Lee, Manager (leroylee.hq@minds.org.sg), 6473 7512 ext 240.

Intermezzo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:58 am

I know KFC in Toa Payoh near Braddell MRT hires the deaf-mute in their outlet.

I feel that it is a good programme and perhaps the traffic there is not too heavy so they can cope better as well.

Postby cnimed » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:59 am

Hi Intermezzo,

Yes, that is exactly what I have in mind. Thank you so much!

Ksi,

I didn't know that KFC does that too. :rahrah: That's really good! Thanks for sharing!
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby UncleLim » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:29 pm

Additional information here perhaps?

http://www.bizlink.org.sg/

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Recess Time