Speak Good English Movement/Campaign -- again !

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Speak Good English Movement/Campaign -- again !

Postby UncleLim » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:51 pm

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Speak Good English Movement/Campaign -- again !

Postby Oppsgal » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:21 pm

:wink: why never hold speak good chinese campaign instead?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:25 pm

UncleLim wrote:http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1150285/1/.html

You think it will work this time ? :wink:

I hope it works... Not that I do not identify with Singlish etc, I do speak "rojak" language depending on the circumstances... I feel that we should strive to be proficient in the language and give ourselves an option to choose to speak properly when the situation requires us to do so. We would be in a sorry state if our best proficiency level for English is "Singlish"... Just my thoughts.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:11 am

I feel it's important to speak good English. We have to set the foundation right at schools. Unfortunately, more often than not, our English is peppered with local phrases, non-English words and lahs, lors, lehs... That's fine in an informal setting among friends, but we've got to be able to switch out of it in a formal setting like meetings, interviews etc. Unfortunately, when I listen to some of the kids (even adults) these days, my ears cringe.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby UncleLim » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:14 pm

We had some Australian friends over and it was the first time I heard my DD speak in complete sentences. She was comparing school activities and homework with our guests' DD.

Maybe having more FT in Singapore is the way to improve our English.

Or... maybe this will be the other extreme possibility ?

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ZacK » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:26 pm

UncleLim wrote:We had some Australian friends over and it was the first time I heard my DD speak in complete sentences. She was comparing school activities and homework with our guests' DD.

Maybe having more FT in Singapore is the way to improve our English.

Or... maybe this will be the other extreme possibility ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH47Xie-Fh8

I do not always get to watch it... But I think the Noose cracks me up everytime :rotflmao: ... If you watch Barbarella... Some gals actually speak like her :roll:

I agree with your comment above ... Having more "ang mos" may actually help us speak better English, but then I think the "ang mos" are more interested in learning Singlish just so that they can communicate with us instead :faint:

It is quite natural to mimic the person we are speaking with so that we can communicate better, as is the case for your DD. This goes back to my comment above, we speak because we want to communicate and we communicate to be understood... So if we wish to be good communicators, we need to be able to mimic the speaking styles of the broad spectrum of people we wish to engage.

Fortunately or unfortunately for us, English is the common language of the world so that means it is essential to be able to speak proper English, especially more so in the context of our work. Imagine us representing our respective companies to negotiate a business deal with a foreign company, what kind of image are we conveying if we were to speak "broken" Engrish or Singlish? :oops:

Just my thoughts :idea:

Hahahaha this cracked me up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shANR5U_ ... re=related ... 55secs into the clip... "Happy fogger....!!!" :rotflmao:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Just sharing this clip from the Noose on "Ban on Singlish":

Here is Ris Low's interview on her English or ermmm Singlish:

Please note that I am not against Singlish as I speak that as well, but I am more for us perfecting English so that we can choose to "activate" it and speak properly when the situation requires us to :)

Bravo if you can pass this test ;)

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Really gotta share this.... Bottomline is as long as the party you are speaking with understands you... Anything goes :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

These two are sooooo cutttteeeeee :

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:17 pm

Oppsgal wrote::wink: why never hold speak good chinese campaign instead?

no need. These days the hawkers, coffee-shop aunties, salesgirls, cleaners, etc etc speak very good mandarin. SO good that sometimes I thought I am in China. :evil: :siam: :duck:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Oppsgal » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:36 pm

tankee wrote:
Oppsgal wrote::wink: why never hold speak good chinese campaign instead?

no need. These days the hawkers, coffee-shop aunties, salesgirls, cleaners, etc etc speak very good mandarin. SO good that sometimes I thought I am in China. :evil: :siam: :duck:

haha... I think so too... so much China news on tv too, I am starting to think I am in China. :duck:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time