Inconsiderate people - what would you do?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Inconsiderate people - what would you do?

Postby Angelight » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:49 pm

My mum related a recent incident to me which really made me :shock: :slapshead: :mad: :nunchuk: !

She was taking the MRT but there was no seat. She was then standing near a couple with a son. The man was sitting on the seat meant for elderly/invalid/pregnant women. His son was sitting between him and his wife. Seeing that this guy has no intention to give up his seat, my elderly mum then told him that his seat is meant for those with special needs. You know what he said?

"Ok, then I let my son take my seat lor!" Then he exchanged seats with his son. :siao: At this time, his wife also spoke, "We also paid money for the train ride, you know, why should we give up our seats to you?!" :stupid: :mad:

If you were on that train and witnessed this, what would you have done?
Last edited by Angelight on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Inconsiderate people - what would you do?

Postby ohdaddy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Depends, but I would probably speak up nicely and quietly, and when the couple would still refuse to listen to reason, I would speak loudly and just say that they would set a bad example for their kid, with the objective to let public opinion in the carriage decide whether the couple is socially off or not. Then let the person asking for the seat to have my seat (if I had one).

ohdaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby z_lynn » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:40 pm

I am 7 mths pregnant and take public transport daily. At times I feel as if I have to put up a sign saying "I'M PREGNANT, LET ME SIT!" every time I take a crowded bus or train. I have had to ask (nicely) people to give up their seats so many times I've given up. I emphatise with your mum. People should be punished for flouting regulations like sitting in those "special" seats. Only then will they learn.

z_lynn
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Angelight » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Yes, there shld be a fine for these inconsiderate people. I can also empathise with your situation. I believe if people are more civic minded and dare to speak up for those in need who are being deprived of the "special seats", then there will be less of such inconsiderate pple.

z_lynn wrote:I am 7 mths pregnant and take public transport daily. At times I feel as if I have to put up a sign saying "I'M PREGNANT, LET ME SIT!" every time I take a crowded bus or train. I have had to ask (nicely) people to give up their seats so many times I've given up. I emphatise with your mum. People should be punished for flouting regulations like sitting in those "special" seats. Only then will they learn.

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:20 pm

What's the problem with asking actually?

If you need the seat, then just ask "Excuse me, if you don't mind, can you let me have the seat?". And definitely not "This seat is meant for those with special needs" right at the start.

Sometimes, it's not easy to differentiate between a fat woman and one who is pregnant. It would be better if the person can just ask. And ask in a nice way, not giving the other party the impression of criticising him/her for doing something wrong.

Sometimes, the person might have taken the seat bcoz at the time of boarding, there is no needy pple and it is simply a waste of resources if the seat is left empty. And later on, a needy person might have boarded but did not catch the attention of the person with the seat. In this case, just asking nicely would usually do the trick.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mrsbongz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:22 pm

While i agree that there r inconsiderate pple who do give up their seats to the elderly or pregnant, there r also 2 sides to the coin. My mom was on tge train when a well dressed senior citizen boarded. A lady asked him nicely if he would like her seat n got reprimanded loudly by him for sittin in the reserved seat in the first place. She tried to explain that the train was quite empty n she was tired when she boarded but the man just shoved his senior citizen pass in her face n asked if she knows wat senior citizen means. Since she dun qualify, she doesnt deserve that reserved seat.

My mom was trying to tell me that if i offer my seat to old folks, walk away fr the grumpy ones, hahaha

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby limlim » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Mrsbongz wrote: A lady asked him nicely if he would like her seat n got reprimanded loudly by him for sittin in the reserved seat in the first place. She tried to explain that the train was quite empty n she was tired when she boarded but the man just shoved his senior citizen pass in her face n asked if she knows wat senior citizen means. Since she dun qualify, she doesnt deserve that reserved seat.

I never heard of any law in SG that normal pple cannot take "reserved" seat.

If she doesn't offer that seat, he also LLST.. I would really like to see someone refusing to give up his seat and challenge him to call police.. :laugh:

Not that I condone ungracious behaviour but since the lady already offered her seat, why need to criticize her? And I really see no reason why should anyone let the resource go wasted (seats not taken).

That senior citizen really need to wake up his idea..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Angelight » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:04 pm

You asked what's the problem with asking? Well, not everyone is 'thick-skin" or bold enough to ask. Most pple, which includes my mum, aren't.

And there is NOTHING wrong to take the reserved seats if the train or bus is empty. It is not a crime. But it is morally wrong if a person still sits on that reserved seat when someone more needy like a pregnant woman or elderly person needs that seat more than him, and he pretends not to see or worse, expects the other person to ask for the seat first. It just shows the inconsiderate person's character and upbringing. And I pity the boy for having such parents as "role models".

limlim wrote:What's the problem with asking actually?

If you need the seat, then just ask "Excuse me, if you don't mind, can you let me have the seat?". And definitely not "This seat is meant for those with special needs" right at the start.

Sometimes, it's not easy to differentiate between a fat woman and one who is pregnant. It would be better if the person can just ask. And ask in a nice way, not giving the other party the impression of criticising him/her for doing something wrong.

Sometimes, the person might have taken the seat bcoz at the time of boarding, there is no needy pple and it is simply a waste of resources if the seat is left empty. And later on, a needy person might have boarded but did not catch the attention of the person with the seat. In this case, just asking nicely would usually do the trick.

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Angelight » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:09 pm

Mrsbongz, I agree with you that sometimes pple may not appreciate your kindness. I once gave up my seat (normal seat, not reserved) to an elderly woman on a train. She turned me down nicely, saying she is alighting soon. I sat down again, feeling a little embarrassed for being "rejected". But it's ok, at least I offered her my seat.

Mrsbongz wrote:While i agree that there r inconsiderate pple who do give up their seats to the elderly or pregnant, there r also 2 sides to the coin. My mom was on tge train when a well dressed senior citizen boarded. A lady asked him nicely if he would like her seat n got reprimanded loudly by him for sittin in the reserved seat in the first place. She tried to explain that the train was quite empty n she was tired when she boarded but the man just shoved his senior citizen pass in her face n asked if she knows wat senior citizen means. Since she dun qualify, she doesnt deserve that reserved seat.

My mom was trying to tell me that if i offer my seat to old folks, walk away fr the grumpy ones, hahaha

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LKVM » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:36 pm

I ever tried to give my reserved seat to some lady whom I thought was pregnant but she became paiseh and said no she isnt preggie... so how now?

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time