LKY: Political divide should not become national divide

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

LKY: Political divide should not become national divide

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Lee Kuan Yew: Political divide should not become national divide

Former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yee said on Monday evening that if the political divide in Singapore does not become a national divide, then the impact on the country's growth would not be that great.

But if it does, Singapore would become 'an ordinary country' with the same problems as the United States and Britain, where there would be 'bickering' between parties.

He said that Singapore has had an undivided society so far and a meritocratic system.

'Once we veer away from the meritocratic system, our standards will drop,' he said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/print/Break ... 09702.html
Last edited by verykiasu2010 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Lee Kuan Yew: Political divide should not become nationa

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:09 pm

I agree that if we have political stalemate, the country will go downhill
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:11 pm

Ya I agreed with what LKY said...so what we suppose to do now ...or what should we do now.. :scratchhead:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:12 pm

vlim wrote:Ya I agreed with what LKY said...so what we suppose to do now ...or what should we do now.. :scratchhead:

for you, just make sure your DS top his cohort and become the next PM to unite all Singaporeans to work hard
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:15 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
vlim wrote:Ya I agreed with what LKY said...so what we suppose to do now ...or what should we do now.. :scratchhead:

for you, just make sure your DS top his cohort and become the next PM to unite all Singaporeans to work hard

:lol: ...your son is one year my ds senior...so yours shall go first :lol: ...furthermore with such a supportive and knowledgable father like u..sure no problem... :boogie:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:17 pm

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MadScientist » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:54 am

I disagree with him... IMHO, our country has already started going downhill... The SG I grew up in is no more the same SG. The present is when more are being aware of what is going on, some are taking steps to make changes, while many standby and hope that the government will work it out best for them.

We have a generational divide... Which stems from a rich-poor divide that is widening.

Politically being united isn't going to be enough anymore... Being politically united with the people of Singapore is.

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Presidential Election 2011

Postby concern2 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:32 am

As I have guessed, the "divide" from the PAP is more of a 'political divide' .

My interpretation has always been that of a 'society divide'.

So what is this 'national divide' that our former PM is talking about? How unrelated can that be from a 'political divide'?

Former PM LEE KUAN YEW: What it takes to be politically aware

FRANK: Former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew voiced concerns last night about maintaining national solidarity and commitment to a meritocratic system.

Just because the youth got excited about the recent elections does not make them politically aware, former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew said at a dialogue with some 1,800 undergraduates at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) last night.

Asked for his thoughts on the trend of young people becoming more politically aware, he said: "To be aware of the political situation in Singapore, you have to be aware of the political divide, the way the economy is going, what opportunities there are for different groups of people.

"If you are politically aware, the votes would have been much wiser."

The session was part of the annual Ministerial Forum series organised by the NTU Students' Union. The auditorium was packed with undergraduates from NTU, Singapore Management University and the National University of Singapore.

Mr Lee also warned against the political divide that has taken root in Singapore.

"If that political divide remains a political divide, and not a national divide where national issues are concerned, then the impact on our growth will not be very much," he said.

"But if the political divide leads to a national divide and you have constant bickering... then we just become an ordinary country."

He attributes the country's growth since its independence in 1965 to an "undivided society" that was solidly behind a "meritocratic system".

Source: http://news.omy.sg/News/Local%2BNews/St ... 73364.html

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:47 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:I agree that if we have political stalemate, the country will go downhill

Political stalemates will occur if political parties are party-centric n not SG-centric;
when political parties manouvre to hold or strengthen its grip on power and
panders to special interest groups even at the expense of d country interests.
Then political divide will inevitably leads to a national divide.

Let’s revisit the position taken by PA n MND on the common space issue.
Doesn’t this contribute to a national divide along partisan lines? NATO?

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Presidential Election 2011

Postby Way2GO » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:55 pm

concern2 wrote:As I have guessed, the "divide" from the PAP is more of a 'political divide' .

My interpretation has always been that of a 'society divide'.

So what is this 'national divide' that our former PM is talking about? How unrelated can that be from a 'political divide'?

An analogy if I may.
U can have many ppl liking different models of cars
but all still move in the same general direction on the expressway.
Different taste but united nationally in a common direction and goals.

When d different cars also start to pull and move in different directions,
d expressway ends up in a gridlock; the traffic slows down or worse, comes to a complete halt.
That's a divided nation.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time