Teen Extorting Kid

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Teen Extorting Kid

Postby Vevey » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:26 am

Was at the playground ytd w the boys when 8yo DS1 asked for permission to play w our P3 upstairs neighbour's waveboard at the nearby multi-purpose hall.

He cycled over w his basketball hanging from his bike to join him when I agreed. I stayed behind at the playground to watch over 4yo DS2 & his bike.

Minutes later, he cycled back & told me that our neighbour had acciddentally hit a boy's face w e basketball & the older brother was asking for $10. The brother demanded our neighbour to "go home & take" when told that there was no $.

DS1 said there was no bleeding & the boys were standing there all along, looking at them playing ball & waveboard. To me, the boys were heavy-set & seemed like 8-9yo & 12-4yo from afar.

Apparently, our neighbour's parent was not w him downstairs & the 3 boys were already going up the lift when I managed to get the story from DS1 & turned to look ard.

Afterwards, I saw the 3 boys walked to another block & brought a woman back up to our block so I guessed the matter were being settled by adults.

Else, my immediate reaction would b to go over, offer to call for an ambulance to send the younger boy to hospital & call the police to settle the issue if the boys insisted on asking for $ from our neighbour.

Would I be over-reacting? I didn't want to get into a situation where the boys could later complain that I was intimidating them.

I was wondering what to coach DS1 to do if I were not ard/not at home (not if I could help it! But what if?) & our neighbour needed his help. Any views?

I told DS1 that there is no need to hand over anything or $ but to approach any nearby adult for help. Avoid isolated places like stairways & going to the other party's house etc.

However, DS1 asked what if there was no adult ard or the old Chinese aunties sitting ard couldn't help due to language barriers? (Our neighbour is a China boy & the other 2 boys are Indian.)

I told him to offer to make a free call to the police & for an ambulance from the nearby payphone. But is this adequate? Would they b able to sustain until help arrives?

This is worrying, as it seems my neighbourhood is getting unsafe. I had stopped DS1 from going downstairs to play w his friends by himself when a P3 boy in my block was molested by an Indian teen at a staircase after playing w a few of them. A police report was made but not sure if the culprit had been caught.

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Teen Extorting Kid

Postby smartmummy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:51 am

Hi Vevey!

I always worried about this issue how safe outside without parents.How long we can follow them.My son in P3.One of his friends always came alone to our house.Then they together go to playground.After one hour, they come back. I seldom permit to go alone.If they went together also I had no peace until they returned.His mother never make a call about three hours.

Now everyday he came to our house and play at our home.My son told him we r not around today also he came.Usually they play game in computer for an hour.I gave them some board games.Sometimes they play.Both of them are not sport lovers.So outside they can't play anything other than catching game.My son has foot ball.previously he played but hard to find friends so he stopped.May be I will ask his friend, he can, then they can play together.

dear parents!
How do you do with ur kids?

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Vevey » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:36 pm

DS1 used to go down alone to play badminton w his classmate staying next blk but these days, DH or I would hang ard downstairs too.

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby puff » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:09 pm

I got 2 girls ... Would follow them ard everywhere they go hopefully until they turn 21 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

puff
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Vevey » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:26 pm

puff wrote:I got 2 girls ... Would follow them ard everywhere they go hopefully until they turn 21 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Will they let u? :evil:

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Recess Time