The Changing Face of Singaporean

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

The Changing Face of Singaporean

Postby concern2 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:46 pm

With the influx of foreigners, one can't really tell who are the tourists, who are on working pass, and who are the new citizens.

Was at a shopping mall in the central, (outside CBD) today, having lunch at Mcdonald's with the kids. We were surrounded by people of all races and dress codes. It is not uncommon to see different races in the past, but from the facial features and the languages you hear, right down to the accents of languages you are familiar with, you could tell they aren't local. I smiled to myself as I felt as if I were a tourist.

For some reason, I had a sudden urge to look around for the familiar face of Singaporeans - home grown, flesh and blood, and I found them a couple of tables away - families like mine. Without even hearing them, you can tell they are fellow mates. When I spotted them, there was this unexplainable kind of relief.

Is it just me?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: The Changing Face of Singaporean

Postby UncleLim » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:01 pm

No, it is not just you.

I am now understand how Londoners feel. I did not understand my UK friends when they told me they feel that they are the minority in their own city. But this is exactly what is happening to Singapore. It has become so comfortable for people around the world that they feel it is a kind of a second home for them.

I was in Penang lately and I told my business associates there that I felt very at home in Penang. Much more at home than in Singapore. Maybe Penang felt like Singapore in the 70s-90s. Singapore, on the other hand, has become London of Asia, where everyone and anyone feels at home with a cosmopolitan mix.

I do not take the MRT often but I did once recently and had trouble hearing a single person speaking in Singlish. The train was crowded and I heard PRC Chinese, Indian dialects, French, German, and a few other languages I could not put my finger on. I did felt very lonely and decided I better stick to comfort of my car the next time.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby concern2 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:13 pm

UncleLim wrote:I was in Penang lately and I told my business associates there that I felt very at home in Penang.

:lol:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:38 pm

No, you are not alone. Thats why nowadays, i prefer to stay at home during the weekend, only go out to buy things when necessary. No more window shopping, hate going crowded places where i feel like an ailen. Taking mrt, i would engross myself in my ipad world, don't like to look around and see unfamilar faces. Hate to eat out, try to buy back and eat at my own comfortable home. I start to feel there is nowhere better than my own home. Emo ... :-)

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:48 pm

daisyt wrote:No, you are not alone. Thats why nowadays, i prefer to stay at home during the weekend, only go out to buy things when necessary. No more window shopping, hate going crowded places where i feel like an ailen. Taking mrt, i would engross myself in my ipad world, don't like to look around and see unfamilar faces. Hate to eat out, try to buy back and eat at my own comfortable home. I start to feel there is nowhere better than my own home. Emo ... :-)

:sweat: daisy, I think you have it worse than me. But then again, guess cos I rarely go town that I have this feeling. That feeling is strange, right from the very moment I ordered food actually. The young cashiers at the counters aren't our HDB uncles/aunties, or our part-time students. They're also foreigners, and the funny thing is, when I approached, it was like they were also accessing whether I am local or foreigner! They even 'you go' or 'I go', looking at each other - what, afraid they have to say 'wo bu hui jiang hua yu' is it? :laugh:

I also had my fun, since they looked like foreigners, I also tried to slang slang a bit see whether they could get me - for sheer fun! :evil:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Bedokid » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:21 pm

Last time when I went out I grouped the people around me into four races, but now whenever I see any locals, I will like"finally can see a Singaporean" and don't know why find it very 'good' feeling to see someone the same 'kind' as me.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also hate to go marketing esp. on sat and sun, now normally shop at NTUC during weekdays, though a bit more expensive but more relaxed............

Bedokid
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby LOLMum » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:34 pm

now most of our local delights also cooked by foreigners and the taste shucks. :sweat:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Bedokid wrote:Last time when I went out I grouped the people around me into four races, but now whenever I see any locals, I will like"finally can see a Singaporean" and don't know why find it very 'good' feeling to see someone the same 'kind' as me.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly, exactly! It's the feeling of being overseas and seeing your own people there! :rotflmao: Alamak, Ok, now I know how minorities feel!

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:54 pm

LOLMum wrote:now most of our local delights also cooked by foreigners and the taste shucks. :sweat:

LOLMum, this is so true! - though there are some who cook great meehoon guay, but after a while, you don't see them anymore. Slowly diminishing in numbers are the hawkers who mend their own stores and feel proud of having their own queue of customers.. It is so different from employees who just get the job done.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MadScientist » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Anyone wants to place order for a T-shirt that says:

Front - "When my coffee shop is open..."
Back - "come tell me lah"

Only B&B SGporeans will know... ;)

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt