"That Used to be Us"

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

"That Used to be Us"

Postby 3Boys » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Since we are discussing Thomas Friedman --> http://www.thomaslfriedman.com/bookshel ... d-to-be-us

A most recent writing of his.

Saw it at a bookstore, and on the inside cover, President Obama is quoted, from a midterm election speech in 2010 --> "And we should be able to agree now that it makes no sense for China to have better rail systems than us and Singapore having better airports than us."

Ha ha, perhaps slightly triumphalist, but nice to be noticed all the same :imcool:

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: "That Used to be Us"

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:15 pm

but the China rail looks like derailed a bit by the recent Wenzhou accident that unearthed unsafe braking equipments made locally

when they went to investigate the CEO of the rail equipment maker, he died on his job of a heart attack arising from the investigation

China's rail is reportedly the most corrupted ministry in China and even Wen Jiabao has problem controlling the rail people ..... that is why his "delayed" visit to the Wenzhou accident site...citing "illness".....as in 'sick' of the rail people....

okok just some off-topic remarks

Changi is still great even with HKIA behind our heels
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 am

Isn't Changi is now behind Incheon?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby concern2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:21 pm

3Boys wrote:Since we are discussing Thomas Friedman --> http://www.thomaslfriedman.com/bookshel ... d-to-be-us

A most recent writing of his.

Saw it at a bookstore, and on the inside cover, President Obama is quoted, from a midterm election speech in 2010 --> "And we should be able to agree now that it makes no sense for China to have better rail systems than us and Singapore having better airports than us."

Ha ha, perhaps slightly triumphalist, but nice to be noticed all the same :imcool:

Being noticed and mentioned by Obama makes you proud - like Jack Neo feeling proud GCT mentioned him in speech :laugh:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:29 pm

concern2 wrote:Being noticed and mentioned by Obama makes you proud - like Jack Neo feeling proud GCT mentioned him in speech :laugh:

:shrug:

I think its ok to feel proud of my country's achievements, its not as if I had anything personally to do with Changi Airport's success. Take it for what it is....better than being cited as a crime ridden city.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:57 pm

3Boys wrote:
concern2 wrote:Being noticed and mentioned by Obama makes you proud - like Jack Neo feeling proud GCT mentioned him in speech :laugh:

:shrug:

I think its ok to feel proud of my country's achievements, its not as if I had anything personally to do with Changi Airport's success. Take it for what it is....better than being cited as a crime ridden city.

Errrrr... I too am proud that the Singapore Changi Airport is generally known worldwide to be a good airport such that it would spring to spontaneous recall when the President of USA needs to cite an example of good airports. IMHO the comparison with Jack Neo (the sexual predator) is somewhat unworthy.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Yeah the pride in our Changi Airport is definitely different from JN's pride.

JN himself could be a national pride too until he went so awry in his life.

Postby concern2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Chenonceau wrote:I am proud too that the Singapore Changi Airport is generally known worldwide to be a good airport such that it would spring to spontaneous recall when the President of USA needs to cite an example of good airports. The comparison with Jack Neo (the sexual predator) is somewhat unworthy.

I am as proud about our airport. Unworthy or not, I can't say for sure. Jack Neo had been pretty accomplished before the sexual issue came about, and I was referring to those better years - no intention of reference made to the later part of his career. Nor was I referring to Singapore's Changi Airport under any sort of crime - goodness me!

Just something I won't take on face value what a politician says. I believe their words are by no means accidental.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Perhaps it is just me, that I always caution myself not to get flattered easily by praises - (not to say that any of you are har) - must start to defend myself first liao -

When I watched the movie that JN got mentioned by GCT, my thoughts were,"Wa, buay gia si ah, say that about garmen..." Then came GCT's mention in speech of the movie. To me, its beyond flattery. It is a word of caution - the garmen also watching har, beware what you say har...Seems like in JN's subsequent movies, there were less of similar punches.

As for the statement that Obama made reference to, it is taking the largest country and the smallest country to cite examples of what America has come to today to make his statement. To many Americans, they don't even know who or where Singapore is. Fortunately, Sinapore tho very small, got something good to site, so there it is!
Last edited by concern2 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:31 pm

concern2 wrote:Just something I won't take on face value what a politician says. I believe their words are by no means accidental.

And what secret agenda would Obama have in citing Changi Airport, in a speech targeted at US legislators, after a bashing at the 2010 mid-term House and Senate elections? Perhaps you think he was paid by the Sg govt for free publicity?

I am playing it straight, as is President Obama, there is no need to cast suspicions or aspersions at every single statement that does not agree with your world view.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time