Your child's IM

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Your child's IM

Postby super_dad » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:48 am

I just discovered that my girl was receiving very vulgar and links to explicit websites through IM from one of her friends. Naturally, I was pretty upset and scolded the friend through IM that if she don't stop this nonsense, I would report it to her teacher and parents. Just hours later, I received yet another message of the same nature. Again, I told her that it was the last warning. However, I was beginning to suspect that she might have contacted a virus or something as the domain contains my girls name....I don't think she is able to create a domain like that. I told my girl to speak to her the next day that I was very mad about it. Girl came back and told me that her friend's account was hacked and it wasn't her. I checked her IM and she wrote me an apology informing me the same thing.

I think there have been some plishing sites that "tricked" the children to login using their account and password...and thereafter captured the info to do the above. It looks like an automated job that will broadcast all the x-rated sites and further trick others to hand over account and passwords information. I have since ban her account. If you are parent whose child is active in IM, please note.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby buds » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:52 am

Wow! This is fantastic heads up, super_dad..
Thank you for enlightening us and for the
sharing... So how did your girl react to the
ban?

Can make new account?

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 22682
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 am
Total Likes: 84


Postby mintcc » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:57 am

Hmm is it possible to install some software to block such websites? I have not really check but I think my norton internet protection have some thing like that...

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:05 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby super_dad » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:32 am

buds wrote:Wow! This is fantastic heads up, super_dad..
Thank you for enlightening us and for the
sharing... So how did your girl react to the
ban?

Can make new account?


Yeah, the girl created a new account. But I need to block the old account as well...as the hacker will continue to use it. I don' think you can delete you own IM account. I am sure that she must have been very shocked about the whole situation to hear from a Parent of her friend. Pretty embarassing for her too.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby schellen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:45 pm

Oh dear, sorry to hear you didn't know about this, super_dad. I use MSN and so do my cousins and friends. Starting from one day, I kept receiving such links occasionally. I ignored them and I suspected that something was wrong too since I trust my cousin and my friend to not spam me. Some weeks later, when I managed to meet them in person (on separate occasions), I confirmed that it wasn't them. It was like you said.

I didn't click on any of those links so my account is safe. However, I still receive those links but since they aren't so frequent, I can't be bothered to create a new account.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:17 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby KS_me » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:20 pm

super_dad wrote:
buds wrote:Wow! This is fantastic heads up, super_dad..
Thank you for enlightening us and for the
sharing... So how did your girl react to the
ban?

Can make new account?


Yeah, the girl created a new account. But I need to block the old account as well...as the hacker will continue to use it. I don' think you can delete you own IM account. I am sure that she must have been very shocked about the whole situation to hear from a Parent of her friend. Pretty embarassing for her too.


Hi super_dad,
Is kind of virus that auto generate the message for MSN. For us who use it everyday for work, we are kind of know it's a norm for such virus. Sometimes the sender may not be online, but somehow the virus created a message. The receipient will rec'd something like ... https:recipientname.wow.com or something looks similar.

Worst if one click into the website provided, the virus will sit in your registry. From then onwards, you will be the one that sending out such emails to all the your MSN contacts.

I suggest you to do a details Virus scan to your PC to get rid or quarantine the virus file.

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:15 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby super_dad » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:17 pm

KS_me wrote:
super_dad wrote:
buds wrote:Wow! This is fantastic heads up, super_dad..
Thank you for enlightening us and for the
sharing... So how did your girl react to the
ban?

Can make new account?


Yeah, the girl created a new account. But I need to block the old account as well...as the hacker will continue to use it. I don' think you can delete you own IM account. I am sure that she must have been very shocked about the whole situation to hear from a Parent of her friend. Pretty embarassing for her too.


Hi super_dad,
Is kind of virus that auto generate the message for MSN. For us who use it everyday for work, we are kind of know it's a norm for such virus. Sometimes the sender may not be online, but somehow the virus created a message. The receipient will rec'd something like ... https:recipientname.wow.com or something looks similar.

Worst if one click into the website provided, the virus will sit in your registry. From then onwards, you will be the one that sending out such emails to all the your MSN contacts.

I suggest you to do a details Virus scan to your PC to get rid or quarantine the virus file.


Thanks KS_me, schellen...it is a good suggestion. While I didn't click on those links...my girl might have. Thanks for the suggestion.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:24 pm
Total Likes: 0



Return to Recess Time