69%
Unit trusts/Insurance/growth accounts
23%
Blue chips
8%

Total votes : 13

Investing for your children

Postby mathsparks » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:04 pm

With all the hong baos collected over the years, my kids have accumulated some savings which we've put in unit trust/growth accounts/fixed deposits/insurance which are not generating any returns.

Thinking of investing in blue chips for them. Any suggestions? Some say I shouldn't "gamble" with their savings but I feel that if I don't help them invest, their savings is not growing fast enough especially considering that blue chips are fairly cheap at the moment.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Investing for your children

Postby san76 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:14 pm

My Dear Mathspark,

Have your thoughts diverted from the day you decided to put the "Hong Pao" in the bank?

Think again, what is the reason for you to invest? More returns? If you have your points and homework done, go ahead and invest.

Touchwood, if the return is marginal dont feel upset after all your effort to study and monitoring. How would you feel.

No harm to try something new. Keep the amount small.

All the best to you.

san76
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mathsparks » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Thanks san76,
Occasionally feel guilty about putting their money in the wrong investments; with the stock markets at a low (though possibly rising now), it seems a pity if I miss the boat.

:?

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby san76 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:13 pm

mathsparks wrote:Thanks san76,
Occasionally feel guilty about putting their money in the wrong investments; with the stock markets at a low (though possibly rising now), it seems a pity if I miss the boat.

:?

Dear Mathspark,

If you have the confidence, go for it. Strike while the iron is hot..... Dont miss your boat.... Opportunity dont comes twice.

Remember to monitor well. Try small amount.

Hope your chips will bring you more $$$$$$$

san76
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mathsparks » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:26 pm

Thanks San76; Have decided to withdraw their idling cash and buy when time is right. Help them grow their investments instead of seeing the paltry interests they're getting.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time