I wonder if any KSP parents read today's ST, "Dropout turned President"

I dont think it is quite possible in this millenium age :(

Any comments?

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Dropout turned President

Postby KiasuAdult » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:26 pm

I did see the headline but i did not read in detail. I feel that the chances are actually quite low but there are examples throughout history like Thomas Edison. So i guess if one works hard enough and does has the ability maybe it will be possible but it definitely will not be easy. JMHO

KiasuAdult
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby UncleLim » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:37 pm

Right place at the right time ? :wink:

We do not want to encourage our kids to drop out, do we ?

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:40 pm

It won't happen in this day and age. Not when school teachers depend on tuition teachers to help kids pass exams.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:39 pm

Chenonceau wrote:It won't happen in this day and age. Not when school teachers depend on tuition teachers to help kids pass exams.

:hi5: this is wickedly hilarious..... :rotflmao:

Postby Angelight » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 pm

Mr Nathan is that 1 in a million rare case. So will anyone buy his book to read?

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SwimInSG » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Nathan memoir - how I chance upon a 4 million a year job, and other amazing stories.

SwimInSG
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:57 pm

It's an inspiring story. Not many people know that Nathan's family lost their fortune during the Great Depression and his dad killed himself when Nathan was very young.

I think that the book is not so much saying that it's ok for kids to drop out of school, because even a drop-out can become a president. I think he's simply trying to tell us that there are things in life beyond our control, but we can overcome them if we work hard. I believe that this is still true, no matter what age we're in. :imcool:

Now that he's published a book, the next thing I hope to see him do is donate half of his accumulated wealth to charity. :lol:

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:03 pm

I got hope liao. Can be president. But my surname is not a Tan though I was once a drop out - quitted school immediately after prelims - did not attend school until sitting for the O level / A level .... counted or not ?
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:34 am

Mdm Koh wrote:It's an inspiring story. Not many people know that Nathan's family lost their fortune during the Great Depression and his dad killed himself when Nathan was very young.

I think that the book is not so much saying that it's ok for kids to drop out of school, because even a drop-out can become a president. I think he's simply trying to tell us that there are things in life beyond our control, but we can overcome them if we work hard. I believe that this is still true, no matter what age we're in. :imcool:

Now that he's published a book, the next thing I hope to see him do is donate half of his accumulated wealth to charity. :lol:

Thank goodness at least someone understood the underlying message of this book ...

:lol: :lol:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time