How to start driving again?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How to start driving again?

Postby hsm » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:14 am

Hi, I had my driving license for more than 10yrs but i seldom drive.. dunno why just phobia of accident.. esp if i were to drive my children..

anyone has the similar problem? and how did u manage to overcome and start driving again?

will really want to drive my children to school esp when dh is out of town.. and recently had problem booking a cab early morning :slapshead:

I did refresher once.. but still didnt manage to re-start it.. :slapshead:

hsm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to start driving again?

Postby Intermezzo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:35 am

hi hsm ~ i think it's mostly about getting used to traffic conditions..
with auto mode cars nowadays, the technical side of driving is not much of a problem.

the more times you drive, the more confident you'll get.
maybe just start with driving your kids to nearby places during off peak hours, and stay in the slow lane until you're more confident.

are your kids very young? i can understand your nervousness if so.
just make sure they are properly belted up, and set some rules in the car right from the start, to make sure they don't make too much noise to distract you.

good luck ~ :)

Intermezzo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dolphinsiah » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:49 am

Good morning HSM,

Your revisiting of your driving again, reminds me of myself 9 months ago... :wink:

I had to force myself to drive again after almost not driving for more than 10years...when spouse passed away :sad:

Actually I have no problem in driving on the road...what I fear most is Parking.. :nailbite: ..

Now I can can drive from Bukit Timah to Bugis ....on Expressway with a speed of 90KM/h :imcool:

I have even fetched my parents from Airport...they were shocked :salute: !!!

I even went to MBS, Sentosa... :rahrah: ..

But till now I still like to be the passenger not the Driver...
Cause when Spouse was alive , I will sit behind a watch my favourite TVB drama...catch up my beauty sleep... :imanangel: ..

Now cannot leh, every minute must be alert while on the road :sweat: ....

Yes, I took a 12 hours refresher course with a Private Instructor.. :?: ..
Got him to sit next to me , while I drove to all the places I need to go....

I think you should get your Spouse to practise with you when he is around...
start in the neighbourhood...use HDB multi storey carpark to conquer your fear...

so you realise that driving is apiece of cake....

Now my Parking Skill still not so Pro, but at least I can parked between cars already.... :xedfingers:

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bezzlay » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:51 am

hsm wrote:Hi, I had my driving license for more than 10yrs but i seldom drive.. dunno why just phobia of accident.. esp if i were to drive my children..

anyone has the similar problem? and how did u manage to overcome and start driving again?

will really want to drive my children to school esp when dh is out of town.. and recently had problem booking a cab early morning :slapshead:

I did refresher once.. but still didnt manage to re-start it.. :slapshead:

Practice driving alone for a few times. Be the driver even if your hubby is around. You need to drive confidently and carefully not with fear of accident otherwise it will be dangerous for yourself and other drivers. :) For me, I drives when I need to go for night out with friends or hubby not around and other times my hubby will do the driving.

bezzlay
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:37 am

think driving is the lest of the problem. PARKING IS!!! :wink:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BigDevil » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:07 am

hsm wrote:Hi, I had my driving license for more than 10yrs but i seldom drive.. dunno why just phobia of accident.. esp if i were to drive my children..

You have the ability and knowledge to drive. You just don't have the confidence.

DW finally took up driving lessons and managed to get her driving license a few months back. Initially, she would only drive with me at her side, never moving out of the slow lane, driving at 30 or 40 kph tops (and driving drivers behind her nuts :lol:), preferring to wait behind buses alighting passengers than to switch lane.

Now, she occasionally took the car out by herself (not going far though), zipped along at 60kph (even on roads with 50kph limit :oops:) minimally, and switch lanes at will. She even volunteered to take over the wheel on our recent driving trip to Desaru! Only reversing and parking are giving her troubles now.

And her transformation was only through a few months of weekend driving! So get your DH to sit beside you and take over the driving. Soon you will be able to drive confidently. :rahrah:

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby Herbie » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:48 am

practise and practise and practise....

I started practise driving alone from my hb's workplace to my workplace and vice versa...

So really need to get into action to practise.

Also put on the triangle sign so pple may give way to u.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:31 am

i am also timid kind of driver, primarily because my sense of direction is not so good. just sharing 2 cents.

1. don't get your spouse to sit beside you if he is the critical sort or treasures his car.
get someone else (sibling/friend) instead.
but if really need to get spouse to sit beside you, be clear to him that you only want to hear constructive feedback.
i drive better with my children with me because i am very protective of them.
i never drive with my dh sitting with me after the first few rounds.

2. sit beside your spouse when he is driving. keep a look out on the road conditions too and 'pretend' you are the driver.
now when i sit beside my spouse, i will instinctively step on the imaginary brake when he gets too near to the car in front or 'check blindspot' before filtering.

3. start off by driving during off peak hours at familiar places first (eg send kids to and fro from school). go nearby shopping mall during offpeak. etc.

good luck.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby linden2000 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:35 pm

On the contrary, i find that putting up the triangular sign may not result in people giving way. Unfortunately there are some road bullies out there who assume that a woman driver with a triangular sign means 'bad driver' and 'can bully' so you may end up being horned at and tailgated more often.

Like the others have mentioned, it's all about practice and confidence. Start off driving short distances off-peak hours before progressing to further places and the expressways. If getting lost is a worry, get a GPS.

Initially starting out, if you get horned at don't panic and don't be pressurized into doing things by other drivers. For eg right turn at traffic junction where you need to judge whether the oncoming car going straight from the opposite direction is far enough for you to turn safely. Don't worry about the other car horning you from behind. Judge for yourself whether you can make a safe turn. After all, it's your own safety at stake.

Just my 2 cents worth of sharing. Hope it goes well for you.

linden2000
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:54 pm

linden2000 wrote:Initially starting out, if you get horned at don't panic and don't be pressurized into doing things by other drivers. For eg right turn at traffic junction where you need to judge whether the oncoming car going straight from the opposite direction is far enough for you to turn safely. Don't worry about the other car horning you from behind. Judge for yourself whether you can make a safe turn. After all, it's your own safety at stake.

Agree.
don't be pressured to make any move.
nowadays, i use other driver's horn to help me keep a look out of stuff that i may have missed (eg lights turn green, i still dreaming :P).
but if people tailgate me, i'll reduce my speed :evil:
most importantly, have to be vigilant when pedestrian is concerned. they walk everywhere they like! more than once, i see the traffic lights turned in our favour, but the vehicle beside me still not moving. then realised that blocked from my sight, someone is trying to cross the road. :faint:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time