Minister criticises Ch 8 drama serials: Love Thy Neighbour

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Minister criticises Ch 8 drama serials: Love Thy Neighbour

Postby raysusan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:12 pm

Minister Lee Yi Shyan has come out to criticise that Channel 8 dramas serials are too shallow.

Mr Lee, who is the Minister of State for Trade & Industry and National Development, caught the controversial "Love Thy Neighbour" drama yesterday evening and posted his thoughts on Facebook.

In his post, he asked why the characters in Channel 8 dramas shout and fight so much. He feels that the characters communicate too little and fail to express themselves sufficiently.

He also feels that the actors seem to express their feelings through crying and shouting rather than through their lines, which lack depth.

He also pointed out that drama serials in countries like China have well-written lines that convey feelings and can touch audiences.

The minister believes that only people who are unable to express themselves properly will resort to anger. He thinks that well-written lines on TV will provide children with good examples to follow and help them learn to communicate better.

Local playwright Hong Rong Di agrees with the minister that Chinese dramas could do with more depth.

Hong said, "We tend to use more expressive words when writing the lines of lawyers and doctors, but not so with most common folk. If everyone speaks in learned tones, the drama will seem unrealistic."

Hong also explained that as Singapore's Chinese language standards are not as high as that of China, the writers tend to use less complicated words in the scripts.

The artistes also gave their take on the matter.

Cavin Soh, a cast member of "Love Thy Neighbour", feels that there is no right or wrong in art. While some people may feel there is too much fighting, others may prefer it that way.

Veteran actress Xiang Yun points out that many recent drama serials focus on the issues faced by common folk in Singapore, so they tend to have simpler lines. This may be what led the minister to think that local drama serials lack depth.

Xiang Yun recalls, "In the past when we did period dramas, we had to memorise lines of poems. Lines with more depth will be scripted when the scenario calls for it."

anyone here watched it??

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Minister criticises Ch 8 drama serials: Love Thy Neighbo

Postby cimman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:00 pm

I think if there's a need to criticise the media, somebody should criticise the local Chinese radio stations. They're coming out with programs with English educated folks speaking sputtering chinese in a very heavy English accented Mandarin.

The radio station is doing a disservice to the listeners. Firstly, the commentator was not able to express himself in Mandarin in a fluent way, thus he's not able to fully convey the nuances of his opinions and experiences. If he is more comfortable in English, let him talk in English and get someone to translate it to Mandarin. Secondly, any children listening in might be influenced and start thinking it's an acceptable level of Mandarin.

At the very minimum, I would expect the media to employ commentators who are at least comfortable with the language. If they can't find someone that fits the requirement, they should can the program.

The minister is looking at the content of the show, he should be looking at something more basic, the language level spoken in the media.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tankee » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:06 pm

wow Minister so free? can watch ch8 drama.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby LOLMum » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:22 pm

yes, something needs to be done to the way the radio dj speaks.

ever since they came up with this wonderful idea of having an english speaking dj partner a chinese speaking dj, i seldom listen to the programmes on the radio.

the english speaking dj (especially 833 morning show ), :yikes: really really sucks. they really do a bad job trying to translate mandarin into english and ended up with bad english coming out of their mouth. :nailbite:

we are encouraged by teachers the best way to improve our languages is to listen more, speak more and read more. but how ? with such badly spoken english and mandarin, i really dont want my kids to learn from them.

i like bbc and 958 (good mandarin speaking dj) but the programmes are really too boring and difficult for my kids to understand.

:offtopic:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MandyMummy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:25 pm

I can't make sense of their plot and I cannot appreciate their acting skills, so I have given up watching TCS long long time ago. :siam:

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:15 pm

raysusan wrote:
Minister Lee Yi Shyan has come out to criticise that Channel 8 dramas serials are too shallow.

Mr Lee, who is the Minister of State for Trade & Industry and National Development, caught the controversial "Love Thy Neighbour" drama yesterday evening and posted his thoughts on Facebook.

In his post, he asked why the characters in Channel 8 dramas shout and fight so much. He feels that the characters communicate too little and fail to express themselves sufficiently.

He also feels that the actors seem to express their feelings through crying and shouting rather than through their lines, which lack depth.

He also pointed out that drama serials in countries like China have well-written lines that convey feelings and can touch audiences.

The minister believes that only people who are unable to express themselves properly will resort to anger. He thinks that well-written lines on TV will provide children with good examples to follow and help them learn to communicate better.

Local playwright Hong Rong Di agrees with the minister that Chinese dramas could do with more depth.

Hong said, "We tend to use more expressive words when writing the lines of lawyers and doctors, but not so with most common folk. If everyone speaks in learned tones, the drama will seem unrealistic."

Hong also explained that as Singapore's Chinese language standards are not as high as that of China, the writers tend to use less complicated words in the scripts.

The artistes also gave their take on the matter.

Cavin Soh, a cast member of "Love Thy Neighbour", feels that there is no right or wrong in art. While some people may feel there is too much fighting, others may prefer it that way.

Veteran actress Xiang Yun points out that many recent drama serials focus on the issues faced by common folk in Singapore, so they tend to have simpler lines. This may be what led the minister to think that local drama serials lack depth.

Xiang Yun recalls, "In the past when we did period dramas, we had to memorise lines of poems. Lines with more depth will be scripted when the scenario calls for it."

anyone here watched it??

If it is local drama, then no...I don't watch. Most of the time I don't waste my time watch local dramas. Don't like the way some shows with hokkien mix with chinese language, shouting and very rough behaviour turn the drama off from me too. So not watching as not my cup of tea.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:17 pm

cimman wrote:I think if there's a need to criticise the media, somebody should criticise the local Chinese radio stations. They're coming out with programs with English educated folks speaking sputtering chinese in a very heavy English accented Mandarin.

The radio station is doing a disservice to the listeners. Firstly, the commentator was not able to express himself in Mandarin in a fluent way, thus he's not able to fully convey the nuances of his opinions and experiences. If he is more comfortable in English, let him talk in English and get someone to translate it to Mandarin. Secondly, any children listening in might be influenced and start thinking it's an acceptable level of Mandarin.

At the very minimum, I would expect the media to employ commentators who are at least comfortable with the language. If they can't find someone that fits the requirement, they should can the program.

The minister is looking at the content of the show, he should be looking at something more basic, the language level spoken in the media.

"English educated folks speaking sputtering chinese in a very heavy English accented Mandarin. " Some candidates do that too :? But at least they try to speak in mandarin.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby raysusan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:27 pm

i don't get a chance to watch it too
but many pple told me that the drama is very 深入民心

and very popular now
《四个门牌一个梦》收视报捷!开播至今一路强劲,吸引平均916,000观众追看!走势有望登上全年最受欢迎本地9点档戏剧的前三名,成为第一名也有可能咧!

http://entertainment.xin.msn.com/en/cel ... id=5331834

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:52 pm

No, Raysusan, I haven't been watching Ch8 dramas. Somehow, I think I can see where the minister is coming from. However, I do wonder why the sudden interest - I mean, it has all along been like that what - unless, these days, with more Chinese nationals becoming citizens, it has come under the limelight? Or since there's report that it touches the ordinary Singaporean, our minister made an effort to understand how this is so :wink:

I prefer to watch FengHuang for chinese programs. Got more current affairs programs. As for dramas, I am impressed by the research behind Korean dramas. Behind every successful Korean drama lies intense marketing and research, as well as sponsorship, which our local media need seriously lack.
Some korean dramas like Da Chang Jing are specifically aimed at selling their country's culture and tourism. They are made more interesting not by the lines and the actors/actresses alone, but by the content. For a simple romance story, they often bring forward the culture and educate the audience about certain industry or occupation, which appeals to the audience in different ways. Hence "lacking depth" to me, is not just in the lines alone.

I've heard of how local dramas are rushed to complete filming, to churn out results at the expense of quality. I think it says about our culture as a whole... :shrug:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:03 pm

It's basically a nice show but most dislike is the part when the characters are defending the govt and the show is like a mouthpiece for the govt..

They purposely make it such that the criticisms lacked depth while those defending seems to give good excuses..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time