Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Where to buy 卫斯理 (Detective Wesley) books in Singapore?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Re: Where to buy 卫斯理 (Detective Wesley) books in Singapore?

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Pen88n wrote:
Brenda10 wrote:
markfch wrote:Whoa Brenda, the language is beautiful isn't it?

If my ds can write like that, confirm PSLE CL A*, HCL A*, 'O' level A*, 'A' level A*.

Hi markfch,

Certainly!

天下无难事 只怕有心人!

If my DS can write like this, I will tell him to start writing books and be an author!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Just royalty from sales of books can feed for lifetime....... why worry about school results??? :laugh:

I agree if one can write like that, it would guarantee lifetime royalty collection from books published but if one can write like this, there is no guarantee of A* in exams.

Postby markfch » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:19 pm

ksi wrote:I agree if one can write like that, it would guarantee lifetime royalty collection from books published but if one can write like this, there is no guarantee of A* in exams.

Why leh? Is it because by the time one finishes describing the scenario, time's up already so don't have time to go into the main plot of the essay? :laugh:

The succintness (is there such a word?) of the description is amazing. In the short paragraph posted by Brenda10, I can actually visualise and hear what the author was trying to express.
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:26 pm

markfch wrote:
ksi wrote:I agree if one can write like that, it would guarantee lifetime royalty collection from books published but if one can write like this, there is no guarantee of A* in exams.

Why leh? Is it because by the time one finishes describing the scenario, time's up already so don't have time to go into the main plot of the essay? :laugh:

The succintness (is there such a word?) of the description is amazing. In the short paragraph posted by Brenda10, I can actually visualise and hear what the author was trying to express.

:lol: Yeah...you are right!

Got!! Succinctness

If you can read that para...means your Chinese not bad leh.... :salute:

Postby markfch » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:32 pm

ksi wrote:If you can read that para...means your Chinese not bad leh.... :salute:

Tikam, tikam lah. I'm infamous for writing the wrong Hanzi in the PH thread. :lol:
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyBaby » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi markfch,

you can find free scanned chinese books from http://www.haodoo.net/. There are books from 倪匡, 九把刀, 三毛 etc.

I am using an android phone and downloaded this free app "直读中文" which allows me to read books downloaded from http://www.haodoo.net/.

MyBaby
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby markfch » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks MyBaby,

I can use your link to check out whether those books I intend to buy are within my level of comprehension. Then I can go Peeka to order (reading too long from screen gives me headache). That'll be very useful.
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyBaby » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:10 pm

You are welcome, markfch. Glad my post is in someway useful to you. BTW, when you order from Peeka, are the books published in China (that is, words not printed vertically and using simplified Chinese)?

markfch wrote:Thanks MyBaby,

I can use your link to check out whether those books I intend to buy are within my level of comprehension. Then I can go Peeka to order (reading too long from screen gives me headache). That'll be very useful.

MyBaby
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tamarind » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:19 pm

markfch wrote:

I think that the teachers marking the PSLE essays cannot even write like that, they will probably give perfect scores to any student who can write better than them.

倪匡 admitted that he is a huge fan of 金庸 who has a superb command of the Chinese language. Any student who can finish reading all of the 金庸 novels will not need to spend time learning Chinese :wink:

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby markfch » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:31 pm

MyBaby wrote:You are welcome, markfch. Glad my post is in someway useful to you. BTW, when you order from Peeka, are the books published in China (that is, words not printed vertically and using simplified Chinese)?

I haven't bought any books from Peeka yet. When I buy books from Popular written by Chinese authors, they're usually printed horizontally and in simplied Chinese. When I buy books from Taiwanese authors, they're usually printed vertically but I make sure they are being translated to simplified Chinese (since I intend to get ds to read the more suitable ones in future).

That's why to me, it's impt to read a few pages of each book before I buy. That's when your url will come handy in future :>
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyBaby » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:37 pm

Tks for replying, markfch. Thought got a new source for buying books. I usually get Chinese books from Shanghai or Beijing but my contact is not going there as frequently anymore and I need to supply booklist.

If I want to browse or buy in Singapore, I go to the bookstore in Bras Basah (Maha Yuyi on level 3). But the selection is not as wide and rather expensive, especially if you know how much the same books are selling in China.

markfch wrote:
MyBaby wrote:You are welcome, markfch. Glad my post is in someway useful to you. BTW, when you order from Peeka, are the books published in China (that is, words not printed vertically and using simplified Chinese)?

I haven't bought any books from Peeka yet. When I buy books from Popular written by Chinese authors, they're usually printed horizontally and in simplied Chinese. When I buy books from Taiwanese authors, they're usually printed vertically but I make sure they are being translated to simplified Chinese (since I intend to get ds to read the more suitable ones in future).

That's why to me, it's impt to read a few pages of each book before I buy. That's when your url will come handy in future :>

MyBaby
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Recess Time

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres