Where do you go to buy dress to attend a wedding?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Where do you go to buy dress to attend a wedding?

Postby i_s_a » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:33 am

I hope this is the right place to put this.

:?: As subject, I need a dress to attend a wedding in QLD, Aus. Cocktail/maxi dress is the dress code, and it is likely to be an afternoon garden party. I have gone to some shops in Centrepoint but the dresses do not seem to match my taste, too much studs/embelishments , and a bit expensive as well. Budget is around $150 and less, max is $200 (even that is pushing it).
Any suggestions? Appreciate your input.

i_s_a
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Where do you go to buy dress to attend a wedding?

Postby auntieM » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:42 am

How about trying 'the little black dress' or splurge on a nice top to match a black tailored pants.. .. :smile:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LOLMum » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:41 am

ck tangs.

nice dresses there but have to go thru them to find one that suit your budget.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:58 am

Zara has nice dresses sometimes.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:00 am

jtoh wrote:Zara has nice dresses sometimes.

agree, but their collection now is more suitable for autumn/winter wear

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:06 am

i_s_a wrote:I hope this is the right place to put this.

:?: As subject, I need a dress to attend a wedding in QLD, Aus. Cocktail/maxi dress is the dress code, and it is likely to be an afternoon garden party. I have gone to some shops in Centrepoint but the dresses do not seem to match my taste, too much studs/embelishments , and a bit expensive as well. Budget is around $150 and less, max is $200 (even that is pushing it).
Any suggestions? Appreciate your input.

I know the dress code is cocktail/ maxi but what about wearing a cheongsam or sarong kebaya for the wedding in OZ? U will stand out in a different and beautiful way (just don't outshine the bride :evil: ) :wink:

If u don't mind a Peranakan sarong kebaya, Arab street has some beautiful pieces. You can try Toko Aljunied at Arab Street.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LOLMum » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:21 am

just my observation/imo,

for westerners or asian pp who grew up or lived in western countries, they are quite particular about dress code at certain events especially weddings.

for weddings, the bride might have a colour theme in mind and would state clearly on the cards for guests to wear certain colours only. and she and groom might be offended if some1 turns up in another set of colour.

but yes, as schweppes said, dont outshine the bride.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:27 am

Try Robinson's?

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby i_s_a » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
Anyway, quickly went to the city today. I have a 21months DS and 5 months DD. Didn't want to leave both kids with the helper for too long so my free time is limited. I went out when DS is having his nap, so my window was only 2 and half hours. Definitely not enough especially when you have a specific thing to look for. My original plan was to CK Tang, if I found nothing then move across Ion then if time permits to Wisma Atria. Last minute decided to park in Taka coz it was easier. Shopping is definitely not fun when you're pressured on result and time. At the end still didn't find anything that gives me 'wow' feeling. So went home empty handed.
So plan B is as Aunty M suggested, a long LBD that I already have. A bit low cut at the front so I'm taking a bit risk since breastfeeding both kids has changed how 'that area' looked now. But I thought nothing a bit of confidence (and push up bra) won't fix, hopefully ... (I'm a believer that sexy is in the mind, and confidence makes you sexy).
LOLMum, they do have a dress code that they want us to follow which is the maxi/cocktail but thankfully no further theme. But agree with Schweeppes as well, no outshining the bride, and another rule that I have personally, I don't wear white to weddings.
So thanks again everyone for the great suggestions, off to QLD tomorrow and hopefully I would have fun, while missing my kids and wondering how to bring breast milk back to Singapore ...

i_s_a
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby LOLMum » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:35 pm

hi isa,

yes, stick to the dress code to play safe and have fun.............lots of dancing :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time