Do you bring your own bags?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do you bring your own bags?

Postby smurf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:42 am

Hi,

do you bring your own bags when going supermarkt or market?

if you don't, do you at least ask the cashier to pack your things in such a way that no unneccessary plastic bags are wasted?

sometimes, I bring bags, sometime I don't. it depends on whether I need the plastc bags to throw rubbish.

I heard that some shoppers buy, for example 18 items, requested for 18 bags! that is so wasteful!

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Do you bring your own bags?

Postby pinky » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:15 am

I bring my own bag but if I buy stuff like raw food/frozen food, I will ask for plastic bags because I will hold them separately

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:26 am

i used to bring my own bags when i was in cold countries. i dont use that many plastic bags there cos' you can leave the rubbish in the house for a week or more and it wont stink (except summer in hk). no ants no lizards no flies etc.

but here, lots of rubbish to throw (i dont know why) so i take the plastic bags only when grocery shopping.

i always categorize my items on the belt so that the cashier can put the same group of items into 1 bag (instead of many bags) and wont put the the raw meat and bread into the same bag. items like rice, toilet roll, kitchen roll, tissue box, coke carton etc i dont need plastic bags.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sall » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:17 pm

The 'Bring your own bag practice' every Wednesday is a complete failure. I've seen many people, especially old folks who scolded the poor cashier because she asked him to donate 10 cents for every bag. I see people demanding for more plastic bags so often, we need to educate these people. I bring my own bag when I go supermart, it's easier to carry the grocery in these bags.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:54 pm

I remember when we were young, my mum will bring along some plastic bags when she goes to the wet market. And when she gets home, she will wash and dry those plastic bags to be used again.

I will bring along 2 cold bags and 1 or 2 grocery bags. 1 cold bag for dairy and processed food, the other for meat and fish.

Sometimes, I think the cashiers need to be taught how to pack as well. I've had cashiers basically placing like 2-3 items in a plastic bag when that bag can certainly take more stuff.

In Japan, you have to buy the plastic bags and pack your groceries yourself. In Australia too. And the good thing about Australia, they place used empty carton boxes near the exit, you can just pick them and use them to hold your groceries if you need.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Come to think of it, supermkts should limit the number of bags they give out. Maybe give like max 3 plastic bags per customer. Start charging for any extra plastic bags requested. And start the practise of making the customers sort and pack their own groceries at the end of the check out counter.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:03 pm

in China and in Austria they charge you for the bags. In UK and France they don't, and in the US they give you paper bag plus plastic bag

in the wet market that I frequent, they provide small plastic bags for packing the meat into individual meal portion ...... so that you only need to take out from the fridge the required portions for the meal
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:29 pm

Funz wrote:Come to think of it, supermkts should limit the number of bags they give out. Maybe give like max 3 plastic bags per customer. Start charging for any extra plastic bags requested. And start the practise of making the customers sort and pack their own groceries at the end of the check out counter.

i dont mind packing my own stuff at the counter if it is a long one. the checkout counters at most supermarket are so tiny so how to divide myself into 2 with one putting things onto the belt and the other packing the stuff?

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:37 pm

I usually shop on impulse so I don't bring my own bags. but if the bag I'm carrying is big, and the purchases small, I'll usually decline and try my best to stuff it all in. In fact when I go shopping for clothes, many times, I'll decline their paper bags and just chuck the things into my bag.

I will take the plastic bags when i don't have - use that to line wastepaper bin, so there is some recycling going on. else how? still gotta buy plastic bags.

A bit out of topic. But I really can't stand those 'golden hands'. Queue is long, so please help the cashier to put away the stuff she's scanned. Ever been in such a situation? We usually try to help the cashier so that the process is faster for everyone.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby bebebub » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Funz wrote:Come to think of it, supermkts should limit the number of bags they give out. Maybe give like max 3 plastic bags per customer. Start charging for any extra plastic bags requested. And start the practise of making the customers sort and pack their own groceries at the end of the check out counter.

In France, shopper pack their own groceries. Cashier only
give u a few, n if u ask for more unreasonably, they will give u "the look".

In Germany, cashier gives u the look even if u r willing to pay!! If I forget to byo n only getting a carton of milk or something, I just hold it in my hands.

In Singapore, once I saw a young lady asking her male companion to take the clear plastic bag meant for fruits n vege. Alamak, that fellow just stand there n pull n pull, n then stuff them into the bag of 3 or 5 apples she chose

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time