Android or Apple?

Postby smurf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:17 am

which one do you prefer and why?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Android or Apple?

Postby hsm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:35 am

for phone, i will still stick to Apple cos i love the apps :)

But i like to explore Android too!! but likely to get a tablet instead.. ;)

hsm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vicki » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:46 am

Now Apple. 2yrs later Android.

Giving Android 2yrs to 'establish' themselves in the SG app mkt 1st, aka I'm a 'matured estate' person! ;)

vicki
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby smurf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:51 am

i heard that more people want iphone because of the apps, not so much on the functionality, its because of games...

and Android is because people want more control of their phones, and can do more?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hsm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:41 am

not really.. the Apple apps are the ones that provides alot more features & functionality.. not just for games..

the only pro for Android is that it can play Flash. for apps wise, it still takes awhile to catchup with Apple imo ..

hsm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby smurf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:45 am

so which one you prefer?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Diamond_heat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:06 am

Apple no doubt make good quality devices. However, I don't like the way they market their product. All are locked to Apps store & iTune. It's like a Microsoft in the making. The most ridiculous is it's hardware warranty..void due to software being hacked? Why penalize users when your software has a bug?

As for Android, not so stable due to the fact that it's highly customizable and thus not so user friendly... However, you have a range of handset to choose from and no warranty void if you rooted your phones (as far as I know). Battery can be replaced by oneself (no need service charge).

Diamond_heat
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby cimman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:11 am

I would take Android simply because I can change the battery. There is nothing worse than carrying a phone with a dead battery. All the apps in the world can't save you. With Android, I can carry a couple of fully charged spare batteries and pop it in when the current one is low.
Yes, you can charge you iPhone on a daily basis, but sometimes, you just forget and wham, you're hit with a dead phone if you're the mobile type who's always on the go and there's no place to charge.

As for the apps, it is very debatable. Most of the functionality you'll need, can be found in the Android marketplace. Only for very specific specialized apps, ie. by the financial institutions, etc.. where they only provide iPhone apps, then you're left high and dry.

Most Android phones lags when compared to iPhone. Some lags more than others. The current high end Android phone, Samsung Galaxy S2, seems to have caught up with Apple on the performance side.

Android phones gives you the flexibility to customize your homescreens with different widgets and a different look. To get your data in, you don't have to use iTunes or any other software specific to the phone vendor. At the very basic level, just take out the micro SD card from the phone, stick it into a USB card reader, stick the reader into the usb slot of the computer and you'll just drag and drop your data into the micro SD card storage.

For the non technically inclined, best to stick with the iPhone. To get the best from an Android phone, you'll need to root it and change it to a custom ROM.

For the accessories crowd, get the iPhone. There are more accessories for the iPhone in the market than any Android phones. Once your Android phone is obsolete in a year's time, you can forget about getting a new phone cover. The vendors don't bring in obsolete Android phone accessories.

At any rate, I can live with all the inconveniences of both Android and iPhone, but I draw the line with a phone stuck with a dead battery, with no recourse. As we all know, the lifespan of a smartphone battery is about a day, sometimes less. So a dead battery is a very real issue.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby smurf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:26 am

wow, thanks cinman for the review!

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby carebear » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:44 pm

cimman wrote: you just forget and wham, you're hit with a dead phone if you're the mobile type who's always on the go and there's no place to charge.
At any rate, I can live with all the inconveniences of both Android and iPhone, but I draw the line with a phone stuck with a dead battery, with no recourse. As we all know, the lifespan of a smartphone battery is about a day, sometimes less. So a dead battery is a very real issue.

Tell me about that battery issue.
I seem to be charging my phone perpetually!
I intend to get a 2nd battery just in case.....

I go for android.
I just purchased a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S and am loving every moment of it.
DH has iphone 4, but i feel the screen is too small.
Android has more freebies at the market place.
I am spoilt with a wide selection of free games.
I also have free traffic info and bus info at my finger tips.

My phone has a lovely sakura pink color which brightens up my day.
The pictures are really sharp and clear, and there is supposed to be a 3D panorama sweep, but I have yet to learn how to use it.
It is also very slim, width is 87mm.
Xperia Arc S also has an extremely fast lightning speed when surfing the net as it has a 1.4GHz single core processor.

The iphone is too common.....I like to be different so I chose android, but I never thought I could be so in love with my phone!

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time