To migrate or not?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

To migrate or not?

Postby shine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:05 pm

We are in a dilemma! We’ve gotten Australia PR and wonder should we really go over? If not, we’ll have to forgo our PRs. :cry: Well, our kids, in lower primary and lower secondary schools are happy here, in schools that they like. Should we migrate?

Anyway, if we decide to go, should we sell our house? If sell house and if we decide to come back (maybe for short/long term, then no place to stay!). Frankly, we are just struggling with middle income and have hardly any savings. Also, it’s easier for us to go over first then find work because of certain licensing issues. Renting out our house here means we’ll be penniless to start our life there to begin with. Another thing to consider is our aging parents. Although we have other siblings in Singapore, I think they would also want us to be near them.

I remember reading LOLMum’s sharing some time back in another thread about all the good stuff of staying in Singapore, esp for children. Well, I can’t deny that Singapore is safe and politically stable. Everything is so convenient!

One thing I’m concerned is the bilingual opportunity here in Singapore. The children got to learn Mandarin. If we go, the children’s grasp of Mandarin will definitely be all gone! I’m also worried about cases of drug abuse in schools and whether our children will be influenced, esp the younger one. Also, the “ang mo” culture is so different and moral values seemed quite loose in the general sense. Being Asian, will we be living like second class citizens?

On the other hand, I guess it’s a less materialistic world over there, also work and school may not be so stressful. Friends who migrated loved it there. A friend went over when his child was 2 years old, citing better education. :scratchhead:

If you are in this situation, will you go? Pl share your thoughts/perspective as we’re really :frustrated: Go, don’t go, go, don’t go, go, don’t………??????? :?:

shine
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: To migrate or not?

Postby tankee » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:12 pm

I have met people who gave up Australian PR after tired of being second-class citizen.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby auntieM » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:19 pm

tankee wrote:I have met people who gave up Australian PR after tired of being second-class citizen.

Same here.. ..from your post seems like there are more reasons for you to stay de.. ..

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby shine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Australia was the only country spared of the last financial crisis and currency/economy has remained strong. Being a big country, it is much less affected by global crisis, unlike Singapore. For Singapore, it seems a little ripple elsewhere might turn out to be big waves here.

Actually, we are also considering children’s future education (university). Don’t think they are smart enough to apply for scholarships and getting into local U seems pretty tough (esp getting into their desired courses). I’ve heard of people who use all their might to get their children to study overseas. We now have the advantage (but not the right timing), so should we go ahead?

Also, being less congested, the spread of contagious disease would be minimized. :nailbite:
So, still contemplating…or should we just take a chance/risk and go ahead. Don’t like then come back lor… LOL. “Where got come and go so easy one?? Many things to consider even if decided to come back leh…” (Hee, speaking like a true blue Singaporean)! :lol:

shine
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Breadandmuffins » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:33 pm

We hv relatives who are malaysians and migrated many yrs ago. Now "conflicts" with teenage child wanting to be "independent" fr their parents eg, want to moved out at 18yr olds & other not so asian behavior. Child will grow up quite different fr our asian belief so hv to be prepared for that.

Breadandmuffins
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:48 pm

A former colleague was doing fine here but the grass down under was decidedly greener, making him green with envy

So he migrated and pull out all roots, withdrawn cpf, sold the house, hosted the farewell party

Bye.

For a while it was ok down under, nice detached house in a nice suburb, big house with big car, cushy job, got the kid into the local top uni, etc ....

Context : took all financial resources from SG and put it all in OZ, and took out loan for the balance of the house purchased

Then OZ went into recession and long period of slump ... jobless but got installments to pay ...... so came back to look for job. Got hired. But one snag : cpf says : put back all your money plus accrued interest .... or else forever be a foreigner on EP.

Alright sold the house in OZ and converted the balance proceed after bank loan settlement and brought back the S$ - context : exchange rate to S$ when brought the $$ to OZ was 1.5S$ to 1 A$, when converted back it was about 1S$ to 1A$.....so imagine the heartbreak : sold the house in SG before the asset enhancement - convert to A$ at 1.5, took the loan, then OZ recession got to sell the house cheap and lose money and convert whatever is left into S$ to 1:1 .....and come back kena repay cpf plus accrued interest....plus more expensive housing cost ......

is a sad story, lived out over a period of about 15 years

luckily SG has been good in the last 20 years (as a whole) and the returnee made good during this period and retired comfortably - in SG
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:01 pm

Hey verykiasu2010, thanks for sharing! :smile: Yah, we won't be withdrawing our CPF money. Kekeke...need Plan B to fall back on just in case. :wink:

shine
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:06 pm

it is not difficult to obtain PR in OZ, US, Canada & NZ at this point in time

some civil servants also hold multiple PRs - useful when the kids are at uni-going age
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:06 pm

hi shine,

congratulations on your aust pr.

and now the headache :evil: go or stay.

i dont know much about australia so no comments.

but if we go, we would keep the house in spore to generate income. also i know i wont be homeless if things dont work out in aust (goodness know how much a flat is gonna cost in the future).

going there with not much $$$ might not necessarily be a bad thing if you are able to find a job quickly or at least have some $$$ to survive for some months. also check out the benefits aust pr are entitled to and see if it could help you to cope. nothing shameful about applying for benefits if you cant cope.

i have friends who moved to other countries and they are happy. it depends on your mindset and the community you are living in. :lol:

but if you moving to aust and your kids are boys, please dont forget they have to come back to do ns. and if you are going to give up your singapore citizenship, pls make sure all the paperworks are done properly especially those for your boys. ns issue will be a major problem if paperworks are not done properly.

sometimes, if you never try, you never know. :lol: best wishes.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:19 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:it is not difficult to obtain PR in OZ, US, Canada & NZ at this point in time

some civil servants also hold multiple PRs - useful when the kids are at uni-going age

So envy... how they get hold multiple PRs?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time