Postby Nebbermind » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:32 pm

OK, let's get ready for another price increase!! :imcool:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: New support staff posts introduced at child care centres

Postby 3Boys » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:09 pm

Nebbermind wrote:OK, let's get ready for another price increase!! :imcool:

So you would prefer them not to increase the staffing?

Not to improve standard of care?

Not to provide more employment opportunities?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:10 pm

I think its great. There has been so much in this forum about how under-appreciated and under-developed child care is in Singapore. This is a step in the right direction.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Dun think price will increase? They inscrease more staff, but also increase the number of students???

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:53 pm

smurf wrote:Dun think price will increase? They inscrease more staff, but also increase the number of students???

Of course the costs will go up, how can it not? The plan is the increase the ratio of teachers to students.

The relevant question is how we support the needy, not whether the costs go up.

Or do we prefer to go back to a lesser model, 50 students per teacher, then costs of course will be lower.

I really don't understand the thinking.....

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Give more teachers but they also increase students right? Anyway, Dun think they will increase by a lot, since they only do 1:8 to 2:12.

Whatever.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:53 am

insider wrote:
WCW wrote:

Para-educarers who will work with toddlers and nursery level children from the age of 18 months to 4 years old have to undergo a course called Fundamentals in Early Childhood Care and Education course. Those interested must at least have a minimum Secondary 2 education.

Meanwhile, para-educators who will look after older children, aged five to six years old, at the kindergarten-level, must possess a minimum training requirement under the Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education. Applicants are required to have at least 3 GCE ‘O’ level credits with a basic pass in English as first language.

[/i]

1. Overall to me it's just standard SOP crap.

2. When they said they wanted to improve the quality of preschool education, they set a high target of teachers must have 5 'O' levels with at least a C5 (or B4, cant really remember) and be at diploma trained. From Day 1, I know people of this quality are not really interested in preschool work and they are heading for suicide. So, many centres can't meet the staffing requirements and many many make noise and resulted in even lousy diploma-trained teachers can go around commanding high salary (which is also one of the causes of the higher cost in running preschools and such higher cost are passed on to parents). Those 'eat-waste-rice' teachers, can die one but still can yaya want this and that salary level and benefits. This 'minimum must be diploma trained initiative' I believe cost Ah Gong multi-million dollars, our taxpayers' $$$$ coz they encourage almost like ANYONE to pursue the diploma course but only see people took the SDF subsidies and after the course many just didn't join the industry. The ones who benefited the most are the training institutions with a diploma course from about $8000 now to about $12,000 coz Ah Gong keeps saying must improve quality.

3. Probably because preschools are running at 'historical' high cost due to higher staffing cost (and high turnover rate coz of poaching) and higher rent, they come up with these para-whatever. Para-whatever logically should mean lower running costs for operators as in the past, it may mean having 2 diploma holders to a group of 12 kids, now it means 1 dip + 1 para-whatever.

4. With the para-whatever, to me it means the quality will go back to square one like in the past (where Sec 2 can take care of tod levels under a 'qualified' teacher). They like to go one big round, stirring up so much shit and then back to square one (oh, quite similar to HDB policies - driving up HDB prices then start to take measures to 'cool' prices which is too late). Just so poor foresight and so tsk!

5. What made them think that caring of tod will require lesser qualifications (min Sec 2) than those taking care of kindergarteners? Skills required for taking care of tods can be even more demanding than skills required for taking care of kindergarteners. Hahaha... I simply cannot understand the logic of the ivory plan though I accept that we sort of have no choice coz we just don't have enough quality people working in this line.

Seminars coming up for preschools and they will explain in details. Let me see how they want to slap their faces this time round. I cannot bother to give feedback coz wasting time talking to people who live in high tower.

PS: Temp Post Only.

It seems like you are quite conflicted on this whole issue. On one hand you feel that the standards need to be raised, but on the other, you feel the measures either go too far or do too little? What would be your solution?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:03 am

3Boys wrote:

Increase staff does not mean standard of care increase.

If the employment opportunities go to FTs, then no point. Why would I prefer to pay more childcare fees to have the increase of staff, yet the quality remains the same and no improvement? IMHO.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:08 am

3Boys wrote:

:goodpost:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:05 pm

MCYS is back paddling a bit here. I for one am glad that they are. It was a knee jerk reaction when they started all these plans to increase the so called quality of preschool teachers. Increasing the minimum qualification for doing diploma and also the target to have only dip trained teachers taking K levels by 2013. As usual, they approach the issue with a one track mind. Wanna increase quality so must have paper qualification. Problem is, being a teacher is more then being qualified, it takes a certain personality, passion, commitment. And like it or not, being a preschool teacher is more then just teaching and imparting knowledge more so for those in the childcare industry. They teach, they clean, they feed, they discipline, they nurse, they play. And these are just some of the things they do when handling the kids. With the parents, they assure, they guide, they listen, they counsel, and at times, they scold and they offer a shoulder to cry on.

With this reversal, ( I call this a reversal cos, this arrangement is nothing new, it is something that a lot of childcares have been practising b4 MCYS announced the Y2013 target thing. Only thing is MCYS gave it an ego boosting name, instead of the industry norm of calling them tchr's asst) a lot of very experienced, passionate and committed staff can continue in this line and play an active role. I have many of such staff. They are very experienced in handling the children and in providing parents assurance and guidance. They may not have the necessary paper qualification but that does not mean they speak or write sub standard english/chinese. In fact most of them speak and write better then all these new batches of DPTs. They may hold a basic or fundamental cert in early childhood education which in the past, meant that they could go on to do the Certificate and with the certificate, they should have been able to go on to the diploma. But with the changes that MCYS made the last few years, all these people were left dangling just because of a piece of paper. For years, we have been telling MCYS, these are the people that they should not be writing off. They should be provided training to improve the quality of early childhood education. These people make good mentors for all the new DPT holders who come in with only theoretical knowledge and loads of idealism.

I am glad that in this instance, MCYS is flexible enough to look for alternatives instead of bull headedly and blindly try to push through something that the industry is clearly not ready for. I do wonder though about NTUC's plan to open up 200 more new centres. Where are they going to find that 700 teachers?

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time