Battle btw Chris' Tea House & unhappy customer boils over

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Battle btw Chris' Tea House & unhappy customer boils over

Postby LOLMum » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:11 pm

anyone been to this tea house? :lol:

Battle between Chris' Tea House and unhappy customer boils over

.SoShiok.com | Sat Oct 29 2011

Cafe rep called customer a cheapskate for complaining so much when he only ordered the cheapest drink.

Singapore, October 29, 2011

What was supposed to be a civilised appreciation of English afternoon tea in a gorgeous tea house has boiled over and enraged not just the unhappy cafe boss and customer, but also netizens calling for its boycott.

The incident began when SoShiok reader Kenneth Lee turned up at Chris' Tea House in a group of eight earlier this month, but was unhappy when it could not accommodate his request to have them seated in pairs.

Writing in the comments section of the cafe's listing page on SoShiok.com, Mr Lee said he was surprised by the woman boss' uncalled-for response when his friend accidentally knocked down a glass.

He claimed she had said: "You stained my floor. I really don't understand..." and "Are you leaving soon?!"

Mr Lee wrote: "This kind of service is unacceptable in my opinion. We are paying premium price for "premium" tea. But apparently that does not include premium service."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're a cheapskate!

Someone by the name of Sasha Lilith, speaking on behalf of the tea house, then responded to his post in SoShiok.com.

She said: "This cafe is not the typical Starbucks kind of cafe where groups of people go to have a gathering or just to chill out. It's meant to be a higher classed cafe. And it's obvious that the reason why larger group of people are usually not accepted is due to the limited space.

"When you got there, the Lady Boss arranged a table just for your group of 8, and instead of being appreciative, you had a ridiculous request of wanting to sit in twos. Are you expecting them to give up more than half the space of the cafe just for your group of 8 when there's already a table set up for your group?"

Sasha also questioned Mr Lee's right to complain about the service when he had ordered the "the cheapest drink on the menu".

She said if he's "not a cheapskate", he would be spending a good amount.

She also said the "Lady Boss" was unhappy because the broken glass had stained her expensive floor tiles.

"If you aren't aware, those tiles are more expensive than marble tiles. In a highclass cafe, how often do you find people actually breaking glasses by accident? Who in their right mind would even place their glass near the edge of the table? True? If you aren't happy about the service, losing 8 customers would not be a big issue."

She added: "Chris' Tea House would rather have a few good, understanding and well-mannered customers instead of having to deal with people like you. I am not here to pick an argument whatsoever. I am here to clear a misunderstanding. If you still do not understand where I'm coming from, it's all right."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Lee was incensed in his reply on October 27, saying her response "truly says so much about the way you run your business".

He said she had no right to label him as a cheapskate just because he ordered a cold berry tea.

Defending his choice of drink, he said: "It was a warm day and we needed a cold drink. Is there anything else on your menu which is cold?? If by ordering the cheapest drink there I am a cheapskate, then so be it. Since your place is such a "high classed cafe" and people do not have accidents there, ever, I am truly amazed. I think places like MBS and Keppel bay which is way more "high classed" than yours would tolerate a broken glass or two."

His parting shot: "By calling me a cheapskate and implying that I am not understanding and bad mannered, you truly show how "high classed" you are. By the way, it's "high class". without the -ed."

Meanwhile, many Netizens have called for a boycott against the cafe as they were appalled by the condescending attitude of the cafe's rep writing in SoShiok.com and their unrepentant behaviour.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read their exchange -> HERE

The quarrel between the cafe and Mr Lee has provoked some Netizens into questioning the professionalism and quality of customer service of its owner and staff.

Some called for a boycott of the English-period-style cafe and also warned it of business repercussions when the matter is aired widely on more social media platforms.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Battle btw Chris' Tea House & unhappy customer boils ove

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:26 pm

I have heard of the place but did not visit the cafe becos I have 3 kids. I vaguely remembered that she does not allow or discourage kids from entering her cafe. I think she will :faint: if she sees me, a bb, and 2 active kids :rotflmao:

I can appreciate her motivation and idea for setting up the cafe but I think her biz model is wrong. She should position her cafe as members only cafe and not for walk-in customers :wink: Who knows there might be a niche market for it,a cafe club.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:37 pm

i like the concept too but the letter from Sasha really 叫人不敢领较。

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:40 pm

Reading the post, I wonder does she appreciate the impact of her postings.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby auntieM » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Must find time to read up later.. ..
Location 'abit' out for 'a-atas' claims de.. ..
Must go check up their dress code.. .. :lol:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby raysusan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:25 am

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:00 am

Been meaning to try out the place. But but but dunno where to lark leh .... :?

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby raysusan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:39 am

ahe deleted all the comments on her face book
but i think they well surface again,,,lol

another one
http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp ... lebar.html

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:03 am

i understand and respect the way the business owner wants to run her shop. it is her shop it is her right. if it want to be exclusive, so be it.

just reminds me of the way some hotels and restaurants turn away locals who are dressed smartly in shorts and sandals and yet allow tourists dressed in shorts and slippers in.

anyway, for customers who agree with the owner, well, just make sure you dont ever ever order the cheapest item on the menu, wow lol, so cheapskate. :rotflmao: :laugh:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby auntieM » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:35 am

So after 'boomz' comes 'high classED'.. .. :lol:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time