From Shangri-La to Paradise?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

From Shangri-La to Paradise?

Postby Way2GO » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:31 am

Newly wed Bhutanese royal couple in SG to spread some happiness?

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: From Shangri-La to Paradise?

Postby pinky » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:31 am

Way2GO wrote:Newly wed Bhutanese royal couple in SG to spread some happiness?

I thought 1 mini-star commented that bhutan and here are different so cannot compare :evil:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:12 am

d title was tongue in cheek :wink:
Bhutan is said by some to be d last Shangri La whilst through our leaders' constant exhortations, we would hv thought we too live in paradise.

There r some similarities between Bhutan n SG.
For instance, Bhutan too was a British protectorate - it achieved independence 16 years ahead of SG.
It is a land-lock country nn potable water is an issue;
SG is surrounded by water, potable water remains a critical issue.

Though its GDP per capita is a fraction of SG's, its people seemed more content n happier. Would you agree?

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:05 pm

Bhutanese replies to Khaw Boon Wan's 'Shangri-la' comments

Wow, this is interesting. An ordinary Bhutanese wrote on his blog a reply to Khaw Boon Wan's comment that Bhutan wasn't the last Shangri-la on Earth.

This guy goes by the name of PasSsu.

(This is in reply to National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan of Singapore on his comments made on our country )

Dear Mr. Khaw,

I was not surprised when you said Bhutan is not the last Shangri-la on Earth, because I had a friend from your country who found Bhutan only "full of mountains and valleys".

When you visited Bhutan, what did you expect? Those flying mountains you saw in Avatar? or Every Bhutanese merrily dancing in designer clothes? Well, you must have at least expected fancier cars and taller buildings but we only have taller mountains (not flying ones) and thicker forest (truly natural).

I am not surprised even when you said "Most of the time, I saw unhappy people, toiling in the field, worried about the next harvest and whether there would be buyers for their products." because I heard a proverb in school that goes, "Two men looked through the prison window, one saw the mud and other saw the horizon".

I am only surprised that you have spend "Most of your time" in Bhutan looking in the fields. I am amazed at your ability to figure out whether the people are happy or unhappy just by looking at them- O' you even knew they were "worried about the next harvest". No wonder you country export human resources.

I visited your wonderful country sometime ago, and it felt like a city from the future. The transportation system held me spell bound, Cleanliness of the street is so much that I didn't find a fragment of dust on my shoes after walking for the hours, Every building and car looks new, and there is no question about the civic sense among the people.

Four days after I landed in Bhutan I woke up and started sharing the stories of your wonderful country- yes it took me four days of sleeping to shake of the hangover of many sleepless nights in your 24X7 country. I read the amazing history of your country and thought to myself, if Bhutan's to develop, Singapore can be our vision.

But since you questioned the presence of happiness in Bhutan, let me answer by telling you few things that you overlooked when you visited my country. Those people you saw in the fields weren't unhappy, if you have gone closer you would have heard them singing and enjoying the social lives, perhaps you won't understand that.

If you have spent a little longer time watching them, you would have seen and a woman with basket on her back and holding arms with several children coming with steaming food- we don't have McDonald or KFC. Then everybody will sit down to eat their lunch, laughing and joking, feeding babies, for over an hour- you wouldn't have had so much time to sit and watch I know, times means money in your country. But we have luxury of time. People don't worry "about the next harvest and whether there would be buyers for their products." In fact, we don't do much commercial farming, we do most of them to keep with the tradition. And when the sun sets, doesn't really matter what time, people leave for their homes where they have a large family waiting. Large family because we don't chase away our children when they become 18 or children cast away their parents when they age.

We don't need Health Insurance to survive, no have to go for Education Loan for educating our children. We don't hang the drug users, we counsel them to hang on to their lives, we don't have to have a job to survive, and when we fall sick even the furthest cousin comes to attend without having to update Facebook status.

If you reread our history you will find that our wise kings have hidden us from the outside world so that we could remain the way we are today. If we start mining our mountains and lumbering our forests, we can become Singapore in a year but no matter what you do you can never become Bhutan.

It is far too difficult. We shall be the last breath of oxygen on earth.

Bhutan may not be the Last Shangri-la but we are happy.

http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?p=696267

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:08 pm

PAP minister gave wrong info and misled people. With this reply from Bhutanese, we be the judge.

British also asks its citizens:Are you happy? in TODAY's front page.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby gaffy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:15 pm

gaffy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby gaffy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:34 pm

Off topic a little but about happiness. From the book "What Happy Women Know" by Dan Baker & Cathy Greenberg:

" Money cannot buy happiness. ... ...the human brain quickly becomes conditioned to positive experiences. Our newest possessions make us happy for only a certain period of time before our brains become used to them. Then we need more to restore that happiness summit, only to adapt to those pleasures and head out in search of the next high. Think about it. How long is your happiness sustained after you get a raise? If you're like most people, within a 2-month period, you've adapted to the extra money and are already lusting after the next raise."

gaffy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Way2GO » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:51 am

gaffy wrote:Off topic a little but about happiness. From the book "What Happy Women Know" by Dan Baker & Cathy Greenberg:

" Money cannot buy happiness. ... ...."

Here's a story I heard many moons ago n now sees repeated (with nationality changed) by a forummer in asiaone forum (from caroline3sg's lead):
------------------------------------------------------------------------
One day a Bhutanese fisherman was lying on a beautiful beach, with his fishing pole propped up in the sand and his solitary line cast out into the sparkling blue surf. He was enjoying the warmth of the afternoon sun and the prospect of catching a fish.

About that time, a Singaporean businessman came walking down the beach, trying to relieve some of the stress of his workday. He noticed the fisherman sitting on the beach and decided to find out why this fisherman was fishing instead of working harder to make a living for himself and his family. "You aren't going to catch many fish that way," said the businessman to the fisherman. "You should be working rather than lying on the beach!"

The fisherman looked up at the businessman, smiled and replied, "And what will my reward be?" "Well, you can get bigger nets and catch more fish!" was the businessman's answer. "And then what will my reward be?" asked the fisherman, still smiling. The businessman replied, "You will make money and you'll be able to buy a boat, which will then result in larger catches of fish!" "And then what will my reward be?" asked the fisherman again. The businessman was beginning to get a little irritated with the fisherman's questions. "You can buy a bigger boat, and hire some people to work for you!" he said.

"And then what will my reward be?" repeated the fisherman. The businessman was getting angry. "Don't you understand? You can build up a fleet of fishing boats, sail all over the world, and let all your employees catch fish for you!" Once again the fisherman asked, "And then what will my reward be?" The businessman was red with rage and shouted at the fisherman, "Don't you understand that you can become so rich that you will never have to work for your living again! You can spend all the rest of your days sitting on this beach, looking at the sunset. You won't have a care in the world!"

The fisherman, still smiling, looked up and said, "And what do you think I'm doing right now?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
d essence of dis story sums up quite well d 'flaw' in Min Khaw's parliamentary response.
But then again, he is just being realistic n defending his party's way of governing.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:59 am

caroline3sg wrote:Bhutanese replies to Khaw Boon Wan's 'Shangri-la' comments

Min Khaw's comments on Bhutan has ruffled quite a few feathers.
IMO, dis is a more balanced view from a calmer head in an editorial in Bhutan Business "rethinking the idea of Shangri-La":
http://www.businessbhutan.bt/?p=8030

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiddo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:40 am

caroline3sg wrote:Bhutanese replies to Khaw Boon Wan's 'Shangri-la' comments

Wow, this is interesting. An ordinary Bhutanese wrote on his blog a reply to Khaw Boon Wan's comment that Bhutan wasn't the last Shangri-la on Earth.

This guy goes by the name of PasSsu.

(This is in reply to National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan of Singapore on his comments made on our country )

Dear Mr. Khaw,

I was not surprised when you said Bhutan is not the last Shangri-la on Earth, because I had a friend from your country who found Bhutan only "full of mountains and valleys".

When you visited Bhutan, what did you expect? Those flying mountains you saw in Avatar? or Every Bhutanese merrily dancing in designer clothes? Well, you must have at least expected fancier cars and taller buildings but we only have taller mountains (not flying ones) and thicker forest (truly natural).

I am not surprised even when you said "Most of the time, I saw unhappy people, toiling in the field, worried about the next harvest and whether there would be buyers for their products." because I heard a proverb in school that goes, "Two men looked through the prison window, one saw the mud and other saw the horizon".

I am only surprised that you have spend "Most of your time" in Bhutan looking in the fields. I am amazed at your ability to figure out whether the people are happy or unhappy just by looking at them- O' you even knew they were "worried about the next harvest". No wonder you country export human resources.

I visited your wonderful country sometime ago, and it felt like a city from the future. The transportation system held me spell bound, Cleanliness of the street is so much that I didn't find a fragment of dust on my shoes after walking for the hours, Every building and car looks new, and there is no question about the civic sense among the people.

Four days after I landed in Bhutan I woke up and started sharing the stories of your wonderful country- yes it took me four days of sleeping to shake of the hangover of many sleepless nights in your 24X7 country. I read the amazing history of your country and thought to myself, if Bhutan's to develop, Singapore can be our vision.

But since you questioned the presence of happiness in Bhutan, let me answer by telling you few things that you overlooked when you visited my country. Those people you saw in the fields weren't unhappy, if you have gone closer you would have heard them singing and enjoying the social lives, perhaps you won't understand that.

If you have spent a little longer time watching them, you would have seen and a woman with basket on her back and holding arms with several children coming with steaming food- we don't have McDonald or KFC. Then everybody will sit down to eat their lunch, laughing and joking, feeding babies, for over an hour- you wouldn't have had so much time to sit and watch I know, times means money in your country. But we have luxury of time. People don't worry "about the next harvest and whether there would be buyers for their products." In fact, we don't do much commercial farming, we do most of them to keep with the tradition. And when the sun sets, doesn't really matter what time, people leave for their homes where they have a large family waiting. Large family because we don't chase away our children when they become 18 or children cast away their parents when they age.

We don't need Health Insurance to survive, no have to go for Education Loan for educating our children. We don't hang the drug users, we counsel them to hang on to their lives, we don't have to have a job to survive, and when we fall sick even the furthest cousin comes to attend without having to update Facebook status.

If you reread our history you will find that our wise kings have hidden us from the outside world so that we could remain the way we are today. If we start mining our mountains and lumbering our forests, we can become Singapore in a year but no matter what you do you can never become Bhutan.

It is far too difficult. We shall be the last breath of oxygen on earth.
Bhutan may not be the Last Shangri-la but we are happy.

caroline3sg and way2go, :goodpost:

make me :cry: :cry: for SG when i read this blog to our Minister.

We may have all the "creatures comfort ? ....but we still
"misssing the Mark" to go back to the basic to be truly Happy :hi5:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time