The worst birthday gift

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

The worst birthday gift

Postby sall » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:24 pm

DD threw a party to celebrate her 13th birthday yesterday. Her classmate, a PRC girl, gave her a used, worn-out purse with the zip almost dropping out. There were 2 used hairclips, both rusty, in the purse. There was also a small bar of chocolate, expiry date: 2/6/2010.
Giving gifts that should be in the rubbish bin long ago shows a total lack of sincerity and respect for the host. This girl is from a well-off family, stays in condo and taking ballet lessons.
Wonder if other parents have such experience?

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:43 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: The worst birthday gift

Postby Helping--Hand » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:50 pm

sall wrote:DD threw a party to celebrate her 13th birthday yesterday. Her classmate, a PRC girl, gave her a used, worn-out purse with the zip almost dropping out. There were 2 used hairclips, both rusty, in the purse. There was also a small bar of chocolate, expiry date: 2/6/2010.
Giving gifts that should be in the rubbish bin long ago shows a total lack of sincerity and respect for the host. This girl is from a well-off family, stays in condo and taking ballet lessons.
Wonder if other parents have such experience?

I would suggest you and your DD don't invite that inconsiderate girl again.
She is utterly disrespectful to her classmates, who would ever want a gift like that? She treated DD badly? Why does she wanted to give her such old and expired stuffs? Treating your DD like a galanguni... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Helping--Hand
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:09 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: The worst birthday gift

Postby sall » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:21 pm

This girl is on quite friendly terms with dd. But we won't include her in the guest list in future. But I think she knew it was wrong, for she was the first to leave, and just before leaving, she passed her gift to dd. She din want to be around when dd opened up the gifts.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:43 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: The worst birthday gift

Postby Chenonceau » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:40 pm

sall wrote:This girl is on quite friendly terms with dd. But we won't include her in the guest list in future. But I think she knew it was wrong, for she was the first to leave, and just before leaving, she passed her gift to dd. She din want to be around when dd opened up the gifts.


Hey people... there could be another perspective to this :oops: :oops: .

The girl does not earn income. What she can bring depends on what her parents allow her to. If her parents dun treat the girl well... they won't treat the girl's friends well. I once knew a girl whose parents live in a semi-detached house and drove a Mercedes but the girl only had a few scrappy t-shirts and one skirt to go on outings with her friends :siao: . Needless to say, she didn't ever accept b'day invitations... she had nothing to wear and also no gift to bring. :cry: :cry:

Could this be the case here too?

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:57 pm
Total Likes: 19


Re: The worst birthday gift

Postby cherrygal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Tell your DD to return the gifts to that PRC girl. She must know that such things cannot be given to others even if not for a birthday. Tell DD to get that PRC girl to eat the chocolate lah.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 am
Total Likes: 13



Re: The worst birthday gift

Postby sall » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Chenonceau wrote:
Hey people... there could be another perspective to this :oops: :oops: .

The girl does not earn income. What she can bring depends on what her parents allow her to. If her parents dun treat the girl well... they won't treat the girl's friends well. I once knew a girl whose parents live in a semi-detached house and drove a Mercedes but the girl only had a few scrappy t-shirts and one skirt to go on outings with her friends :siao: . Needless to say, she didn't ever accept b'day invitations... she had nothing to wear and also no gift to bring. :cry: :cry:

Could this be the case here too?

Well, this girl is already 13.She would know that giving trash to people is very wrong. Even if her parents refused to give her some $ to buy a present, she can make a card or a bookmark. That costs nothing and shows sincerity on her part. Last year, another of dd's friend came from a poor family. She made a bookmark for dd. I thought that was a very nice gesture.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:43 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: The worst birthday gift

Postby markfch » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:18 pm

sall wrote:Well, this girl is already 13.She would know that giving trash to people is very wrong. Even if her parents refused to give her some $ to buy a present, she can make a card or a bookmark. That costs nothing and shows sincerity on her part. Last year, another of dd's friend came from a poor family. She made a bookmark for dd. I thought that was a very nice gesture.


True, true. At 13, she should know better. However, there is something bigger than this happening behind the scene.

This is what I call a teachable moment. What do you want your dd to learn from this experience. Be hard and throw back the 'gift'? Show tolerance and forget about it? Or show magnanimity and continue to invite in future? Come on sall, this is such an excellent mum-to-dd sharing moment. Don't waste it.
User avatar
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2752
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:07 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: The worst birthday gift

Postby BeContented » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:21 pm

markfch wrote:
sall wrote:Well, this girl is already 13.She would know that giving trash to people is very wrong. Even if her parents refused to give her some $ to buy a present, she can make a card or a bookmark. That costs nothing and shows sincerity on her part. Last year, another of dd's friend came from a poor family. She made a bookmark for dd. I thought that was a very nice gesture.


True, true. At 13, she should know better. However, there is something bigger than this happening behind the scene.

This is what I call a teachable moment. What do you want your dd to learn from this experience. Be hard and throw back the 'gift'? Show tolerance and forget about it? Or show magnanimity and continue to invite in future? Come on sall, this is such an excellent mum-to-dd sharing moment. Don't waste it.


:rahrah: Yes yes. Markfch is right.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am
Total Likes: 84


Re: The worst birthday gift

Postby Greatly Blessed » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:03 pm

This is what I call a teachable moment. What do you want your dd to learn from this experience. Be hard and throw back the 'gift'? Show tolerance and forget about it? Or show magnanimity and continue to invite in future? Come on sall, this is such an excellent mum-to-dd sharing moment. Don't waste it.


I like this. I'm going to see how my DD reacts if this happens to her.

Greatly Blessed
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:26 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: The worst birthday gift

Postby Oppsgal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:14 pm

BeContented wrote:
markfch wrote:
sall wrote:Well, this girl is already 13.She would know that giving trash to people is very wrong. Even if her parents refused to give her some $ to buy a present, she can make a card or a bookmark. That costs nothing and shows sincerity on her part. Last year, another of dd's friend came from a poor family. She made a bookmark for dd. I thought that was a very nice gesture.


True, true. At 13, she should know better. However, there is something bigger than this happening behind the scene.

This is what I call a teachable moment. What do you want your dd to learn from this experience. Be hard and throw back the 'gift'? Show tolerance and forget about it? Or show magnanimity and continue to invite in future? Come on sall, this is such an excellent mum-to-dd sharing moment. Don't waste it.


:rahrah: Yes yes. Markfch is right.


:lol: Teach kid to be smart and learn from "history" :?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:24 pm
Total Likes: 1


Next

Return to Recess Time