HDB CEO: Why HDB units are getting smaller.....?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

HDB CEO: Why HDB units are getting smaller.....?

Postby raysusan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:55 am

"the amount of space an occupant gets has actually increased over the years, even though the flat sizes are smaller, as Singapore's household size has also decreased....While big families were common in the past, families might now have only two to four members."
~HDB Chief Executive Cheong Koon Hean

http://temasekrevealed.blogspot.com/201 ... -rate.html

Great logic....birth rate drop=smaller size family=smaller size unit
but can sell it at a smaller price? :evil:

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: HDB CEO: Why HDB units are getting smaller.....?

Postby starlight1968sg » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:10 am

Units getting smaller is not equal to "smaller price", in fact, it is the other way round.
What sort of logic is this?
We all know, going to the market, buy a bigger piece of fish costs more than a smaller one, right?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cimman » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:27 am

these people will say anything. Small flats can be comfortable too. Fewer people per household now. That seems to go against the have more kids policy.
With a double income family, having more kids means there is now a need to get grandparents to stay to help look after the 3 kids. With a maid, the household has now 8 people (assume 3 kids)
So, a small household means one kid. HDB should really tie up with the family planning folks and align themselves. One department says have more kids, the other department says small household to stay comfortably in HDB flat.

A couple of years down the road, I expect HDB will say shoebox flat will be comfortable as well. Instead of saying space planning and clever use of furniture, they will say why have furniture at all, just sit on floor can liao...., save space, save money.

Instead of thinking of solutions to the problems, they think of excuses. When they are not held accountable to the public, they say flippant remarks.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby smurf » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:40 am

cinman,

:goodpost:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:57 am

The person who suggest this, should try and stay in a small HDB unit and see how it feels.

For me, I feel that smaller unit makes occupant hardly able to breath. Like all the 4 walls are so close to you.

:roll:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:59 am

Oppsgal wrote:The person who suggest this, should try and stay in a small HDB unit and see how it feels.

For me, I feel that smaller unit makes occupant hardly able to breath. Like all the 4 walls are so close to you.

Oh, usually people who said public transport ok, small houses ok, food prices ok... etc are those who do not have the first-hand experience on the ground. They live in their own palace! :evil:

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:05 am

Oppsgal wrote:The person who suggest this, should try and stay in a small HDB unit and see how it feels.

And I mean staying for a long period in this sort of small unit for at least 5 years continuously. Not just show that they have actually stayed by showing photos for 1 or 2 days every few weeks.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby laughingcat » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:16 am

starlight1968sg wrote:Oh, usually people who said public transport ok, small houses ok, food prices ok... etc are those who do not have the first-hand experience on the ground. They live in their own palace! :evil:

That is because such "peope" are being chauffered around, stayed in landed property with many many big rooms and they don't go to supermarket to buy things as they eat in the restaurant or their housekeeper do the grocery shopping. So that is why such "people said all these basic are all "ok".

The rich and highly paid personnel (born with a silver spoon CEOs and ministers) will never understand how difficult life is. They only knows how to be defensive in their own non-sensical policy making. Never seem to put their lives and thoughts in other people shoes to really examine whether their policy making do make sense.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MotherHen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:30 am

That is because such "peope" are being chauffered around, stayed in landed property with many many big rooms and they don't go to supermarket to buy things as they eat in the restaurant or their housekeeper do the grocery shopping. So that is why such "people said all these basic are all "ok".

I totally agree. All commenting from their ivory tower.

Sure... Have basic four walls is ok. But i will be HAPPIER with a BIGGER place, can?

I think sometimes these people have to factor in the fact that with economic progress, people's expectations of quality of life also higher.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:56 am

cimman wrote:these people will say anything. Small flats can be comfortable too. Fewer people per household now. That seems to go against the have more kids policy.
With a double income family, having more kids means there is now a need to get grandparents to stay to help look after the 3 kids. With a maid, the household has now 8 people (assume 3 kids)
So, a small household means one kid. HDB should really tie up with the family planning folks and align themselves. One department says have more kids, the other department says small household to stay comfortably in HDB flat.

A couple of years down the road, I expect HDB will say shoebox flat will be comfortable as well. Instead of saying space planning and clever use of furniture, they will say why have furniture at all, just sit on floor can liao...., save space, save money.

Instead of thinking of solutions to the problems, they think of excuses. When they are not held accountable to the public, they say flippant remarks.

well said

please email it to the HDB CEO
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time