Fighting & Protests at Changi Airport

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Fighting & Protests at Changi Airport

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:12 am

http://news.insing.com/tabloid/travelle ... d-e0183f00

A group of 159 Chinese national tourists caused a commotion at Changi Airport two days ago.

Police and canines were deployed to control the situation when the group engaged in scuffles with other travellers.

The group of Mainland tourists was scheduled to return home onboard Hong Kong Airlines flight HX752 at 4.40pm on 15 November. Transiting from there, the group was to board a connecting flight to Shanghai's Pudong Airport.

The flight from Singapore was however, grounded due to technical issues and the group only managed to board their flight nine hours later.

One of the affected passengers, Ms Luo Jing, from Shenzhen, revealed what led to the commotion.

According to Ms Luo, Hong Kong Airlines staff had failed to inform the passengers that the delay was due to technical issues. The staff had supposedly told passengers that the plane will be delayed for only 45 minutes due to a cleanup.

The passengers were only informed later on that the plane had technical issues. After this, the group received no more information and claimed that they were ignored for the next several hours.

The group complained that they were starving by the time airline staff deigned to give out meal vouchers at about 7pm in the evening. They also believed that the eateries in Changi Airport deliberately raised food prices when serving them.

After dinner, the passengers discovered their flight gate was still closed and could not find any airline staff to answer their queries. Two to three more hours later, they were so angry they decided to protest and force airline staff to appear by blocking the passage to the flight gates.

This resulted in arguments and scuffles between the Chinese national group and other travellers trying to make use of the passage.

The police were then called in to manage the situation and to calm the group.

But the complaints didn't end there.

The Chinese national tourists also complained that the police officers looked like they were intending to draw their pistols and use handcuffs on them.

They even alleged that a female police officer deliberately drove a luggage buggy at them and injured an old woman, who may have broken a finger.

They also said the police shouted "This is Singapore!" at them.

Even after departing Singapore about nine hours later, the group continued to make their frustrations known.

About 80 of them refused to alight from the plane after reaching Hong Kong.

The majority eventually relented after the airline agreed to compensate them, but 20 passengers still refused to budge from the plane

The Hong Kong airport also alerted local police to control the group.

The matter was eventually resolved when the airline agreed to compensate each passenger between S$200 to S$280.

The Changi Airport management has clarified that police officers did not draw their pistols during the incident. Meanwhile, it is investigating the incident.

Source: Shin Min Daily News, 17 November 2011. Click here for the Chinese report.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Fighting & Protests at Changi Airport

Postby daisyt » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:46 am

Well, true... Like the policeman said "This is Singapore", we don't allow protests in public places, not to mention inside one of the best airports in the world. They can go Hong Lim Park to protest if they insist, but remember to apply lor :smile:

Seriously, it is not the fault of the airport, right? And I don't believe the police going to or drawing out pistol. Maybe his hand happen to touch his pistol while trying to calm them?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:06 am

I will stand by our Police against unruly foreigners anytime. This is not the way we do things in Singapore.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:21 am

nonsense and nuisance :siao:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:12 am

"compensate each passenger between S$200 to S$280."

Why pay them money? Should punish them instead.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:34 am

Airline, Singapore immigration and Changi airport authority should blacklist these passengers!

This is a case of 死赖皮 + 厚脸皮 just want more money for compensation. If it is a case of dissatisfaction, can complain to airline after return home. No need to make such fuss at public places and cause inconvenience to others.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peapot » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:18 am

Resolve only after receiving $280?? Alot of money?? PRC ?? So typical. At first when reading the heading, I thought it was FT in s'pore creating trouble. Luckily the FT here still not so bad.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:42 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:http://news.insing.com/tabloid/travellers-cause-commotion-after-delayed-flight/id-e0183f00

A group of 159 Chinese national tourists caused a commotion at Changi Airport two days ago.

The group complained that they were starving by the time airline staff deigned to give out meal vouchers at about 7pm in the evening. They also believed that the eateries in Changi Airport deliberately raised food prices when serving them.

huh? :? can meh? i thought all food price are written clearly on the sign board and menu. what rubbish

After dinner, the passengers discovered their flight gate was still closed and could not find any airline staff to answer their queries. Two to three more hours later, they were so angry they decided to protest and force airline staff to appear by blocking the passage to the flight gates.

This resulted in arguments and scuffles between the Chinese national group and other travellers trying to make use of the passage

i would be angry too if they block my way and if i cant get on my flight who is gonna compensate me?

The police were then called in to manage the situation and to calm the group.

But the complaints didn't end there.

The Chinese national tourists also complained that the police officers looked like they were intending to draw their pistols and use handcuffs on them.

the world knows how these people are good at escalating small matters into major diasters so if i am the police, i would be on guard too.

They even alleged that a female police officer deliberately drove a luggage buggy at them and injured an old woman, who may have broken a finger.

attempts to get more compensation? :wink:

They also said the police shouted "This is Singapore!" at them

of course police have to tell them this is Singapore and not CHINA. these people probably think we are still part of china and can do whatsoever they like。 我们不是香港或台湾 .

The Changi Airport management has clarified that police officers did not draw their pistols during the incident. Meanwhile, it is investigating the incident.

Source: Shin Min Daily News, 17 November 2011. Click here for the Chinese report.

丢脸丢到外国去

but singaporeans also behaved likewise in the past as reported in papers. :wink: so :shrug:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:57 pm

I am glad that such incident happened. It might stir some thoughts in the Govt to think again abt FT n PR policy.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:22 pm

the airline spokesman clarified that the old woman actually had a fall during the scuffle and hurt her hand. She was given medical treatment and compensation here but demanded for more compensation when the group touched down in HK... :siao: So her claim that a policewoman rammed a trolley into her was just a lie to get more $$$$

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time