Re: 10 per cent of S'poreans affected by mental illnesses

Postby MadScientist » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:12 pm

I'm mad, not crazy...

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby markfch » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:38 pm

I read the article as 10% of S'poreans will be affected by mental illness. I'm not surprised. When I read of kids who didn't get through GEP round 2 crying because they would get scolding from their parents, I know that it's a crazy, stressful world that some of us live in.

I asked myself what's the point of this scolding? What are those parents trying to prove? Then I realized that pride is a very dangerous thing to have. So what if we can't boost to our friends that our kids are in GEP? Why do we care so much about what others think of us? If we can let go of our pride, life will be less stressful for our kids and we can be happier as a family.
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JonC » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 am

I do not like the system too, but system is built by those in authority, it's you who put them in the position to decide for you, so live with it or leave it or exercise your authority at the right time if you think there is a "better alternative" (which nobody knows until given a chance to try)

JonC
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:51 pm

markfch wrote:I read the article as 10% of S'poreans will be affected by mental illness. I'm not surprised. When I read of kids who didn't get through GEP round 2 crying because they would get scolding from their parents, I know that it's a crazy, stressful world that some of us live in.

I asked myself what's the point of this scolding? What are those parents trying to prove? Then I realized that pride is a very dangerous thing to have. So what if we can't boost to our friends that our kids are in GEP? Why do we care so much about what others think of us? If we can let go of our pride, life will be less stressful for our kids and we can be happier as a family.

I don't understand the need to get kids into GEP so that the parents can brag either. I always assumed that GEP was for the 'gifted'. So you're either 'gifted' or not. You're not supposed to be able to spend thousands of dollars and be hothoused into being 'gifted'.

No wonder our kids are getting stressed out. If you don't make it to GEP, the top secondary school, the elite triple science class, medicine faculty etc, you've failed your parents bec they've lost their bragging rights. And if by some chance you scrape into the GEP, a top secondary school etc but you can't keep up, you get even more stressed.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby HyperKiasu » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:37 pm

markfch wrote:I read the article as 10% of S'poreans will be affected by mental illness. I'm not surprised. When I read of kids who didn't get through GEP round 2 crying because they would get scolding from their parents, I know that it's a crazy, stressful world that some of us live in.

i think giftedness is by nature, and run by genes. if kids are not gifted enuf to get in GEP, then parents should blame themselves for not possessing the giftedness genes :evil:

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby pinky » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:42 pm

read a newspaper article before about kids as young as 6-7 being admitted to IMH for psychiatric treatment.. very sad to hear that :sad:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:05 pm

HyperKiasu wrote:

i think giftedness is by nature, and run by genes. if kids are not gifted enuf to get in GEP, then parents should blame themselves for not possessing the giftedness genes :evil:

Uh-oh! This will give some parents more reason to hothouse their kids into GEP. If their kids don't get into GEP it's a direct reflection of their poor genes. :yikes: Lagi lose face. :shock:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby HyperKiasu » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:19 pm

jtoh wrote:
HyperKiasu wrote:

Uh-oh! This will give some parents more reason to hothouse their kids into GEP. If their kids don't get into GEP it's a direct reflection of their poor genes. :yikes: Lagi lose face. :shock:

oh ya, these parents are among the 10%, ..... :siao: :sick:
pity their kids... :cry:

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby peapot » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:10 am

Its a sad sad world that we live in. Singapore is quite a stressful country to live in. I know Norway is a place with lots of happy citizens. The mothers can take 1 year off paid leave to care for their babies and fathers get 3 weeks off too, I think. I m very sure their education system is unlike ours. Our kids are educated in a way that they can never think out of their box.

China is also another stressful place to live in.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time