would you go on holiday during term time?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

would you go on holiday during term time?

Postby smurf » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:54 pm

just want to find out if parents would want to bring their children on holidays for about a week during term time, in jan or feb since its not the peak season (not crowded), air tickets, hotels, etc are cheaper.

are you worried that your child will miss one week of school, ability to catch up, etc?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: would you go on holiday during term time?

Postby smurf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:55 am

nobody want to skip lesson to go holiday??

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tisha » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:22 pm

I wouldn't want to miss classes for holidays right in the beginning of the year. But towards the end of the year, after the SA2 is OK.

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby smurf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:50 pm

suppose if the chilld is in lower primary?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HyperKiasu » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:58 pm

yup, i also want to know as my two kids will b P3 and P1. (P3 is lower level?)

but not sure whether the sch will discourage this or not?

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby smurf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:03 pm

think the school would discourage but then it up to the parents to decide?

on the sidenote, does 1 week missing class makes a lot of difference??

a lot of places having very good sale during aug (think hong kong, UK, etc). unless u go alone of course. hee.
beginning of yr, a lot of place also have abundance snow to ski. nov, dec, usually no snow one (very little).

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HyperKiasu » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:13 pm

i guess one week absence wont' make too much difference esp for lower level kids......

agree those deals during Jan, Feb are temptations hard to resist....

perhaps can check with teacher weeks or months in advance? i did that before but it was in July and we only needed him to be off sch for 2 days and i emailed to his FT one month prior to our retreat...

but never try Jan, Feb and 1week off. Plus still duno who will be his FT next year....

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby lizawa » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:38 pm

HyperKiasu wrote:yup, i also want to know as my two kids will b P3 and P1. (P3 is lower level?)

but not sure whether the sch will discourage this or not?

Schools normally discourage but the parents make the final decision. Does your P3 have ca1 end of feb or early march?

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hexagon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:42 pm

smurf wrote:think the school would discourage but then it up to the parents to decide?

on the sidenote, does 1 week missing class makes a lot of difference??

a lot of places having very good sale during aug (think hong kong, UK, etc). unless u go alone of course. hee.
beginning of yr, a lot of place also have abundance snow to ski. nov, dec, usually no snow one (very little).

Hi smurf, totally agree with you on the snow condition in Jan and Feb and even early March. We have been going for our ski holidays from Jan - March (choosing mostly low season depending on which countries) since DS1 was 4 yrs old (he is 12 now). We have taken them (we have 4 kids now) out of school every year for about 12 days (7-8 school days if you exclude weekends) except when DS1 was in P6 this year.

We would have taken him along this year if not for the warning from the Principal last year . She knew that we having been taking our kids out from school every year during term time and she called for a meeting and told us in no definite terms when DS1 was in P5 that he is NOT allowed to take time off from school during PSLE year. :spank: (he did get his skiing fix in NZ after PSLE)

I have no qualms in taking my kids out for a week or two during term time esp if they are in the lower pri cos there is not much homework. However in the upper pri esp P5 and P6, catching up with loads of homework after the holiday is a big turnoff. So we usually ask the teachers for their lesson plans and do some worksheets or learn spelling before hand. We also strike a deal with the kids to be more hardworking to finish up outstanding work (without complaining and whining) after the holiday.

DS1 will be in sec 1 next year. We did ask him if he wants to join us again for a family holiday in late Jan. His reply was it depends on which school he gets into. If it is an IP school with lots of activities and orientation programme, he will give the holiday a miss.

hexagon
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby smurf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi hexagon,

thats right! :)

snow only started to get really fun starting from feb onwards! many people dunno and went during early dec, but find that there is no or little snow.

just want to know, did your ds grade suffer because of few days off?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time